Week 11 Weather: Winter Storm Watch in place for this weekend, potential for major snowfall

Process

Appears we will be getting off a little easier than Snowvember IF, and that is a big IF, the updated forecasts are to be believed.  3-4 feet for Buffalo, some northtown locations and eastern suburbs.  OP area forecast to get 2-3 feet from tonight thru early afternoon Saturday.

However, much like Snowvember, the forecast can easily change very quickly during the event, so I take these with a grain of salt.

Any way you slice it there will be the need for large scale snow removal in much of WNY. NOAA is giving Buffalo 96% chance to get more than 18 inches which is extremely high confidence.

Although Accuweather is upping the ante...

2p2.jpg?w=632

Edited by Big Turk

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Appears we will be getting off a little easier than Snowvember IF, and that is a big IF, the updated forecasts are to be believed.  3-4 feet for Buffalo, some northtown locations and eastern suburbs.  OP area forecast to get 2-3 feet from tonight thru early afternoon Saturday.

However, much like Snowvember, the forecast can easily change very quickly during the event, so I take these with a grain of salt.

Any way you slice it there will be the need for large scale snow removal in much of WNY. NOAA is giving Buffalo 96% chance to get more than 18 inches which is extremely high confidence.

Although Accuweather is upping the ante...

2p2.jpg?w=632

holy crap...that's dangerous

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Interesting that my iPhone still shows zero snow on Sunday in Buffalo. It shows all of the snow on Friday and Saturday. But it does show it being pretty windy. Game on! 

I'd take anything with a grain of salt in terms of that type of stuff.  It's possible, but not always accurate

1 minute ago, nucci said:

holy crap...that's dangerous

Yeah...in a lot of ways.  Roofs caving in, people having heart attacks from snow removal/shoveling exertion, carbon monoxide poisoning from people covering their vents from snowblowing or not ensuring they are uncovered by removing snow, etc..

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Interesting that my iPhone still shows zero snow on Sunday in Buffalo. It shows all of the snow on Friday and Saturday. But it does show it being pretty windy. Game on! 

It could be perfect weather at game time Sunday afternoon. The issue is if 4+ feet gets dumped on the area Thursday - Saturday, not enough time to clear the stadium out so it is useable and the roads clear so players can even get there.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I'd take anything with a grain of salt in terms of that type of stuff.  It's possible, but not always accurate

I think iPhone pulls its data from the Weather Channel and it’s generally pretty darn accurate…even when we’ve traveled to Europe. Now, having grown up in WNY believe me when I say I know it can change but quite often the local news reporting is just into it for the ‘drama’. My post is just to offer a non-local perspective.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I think iPhone pulls its data from the Weather Channel and it’s generally pretty darn accurate…even when we’ve traveled to Europe. Now, having grown up in WNY believe me when I say I know it can change but quite often the local news reporting is just into it for the ‘drama’. My post is just to offer a non-local perspective.

In general, but not in regards to Lake Effect Snow forecasts and/or timing.

Be safe guys.  I lived on South Park Ave. growing up on the border of Blasdell and Hamburg by 179.  

I’d shovel out the driveway to have the plow wreck my driveway in 10 minutes.

I feel for you guys my nightmare

for now I think has ended with hurricanes so now you guys have to deal with these winter storms.  I’m painfully aware of the ice storm of 76 and the blizzard of 77.  My parents were stuck at work for five days each year and I was 6 and 7 years old.  Thank god my oldest sister (7years older) took care of us with no electricity for a week.

she was 13 going on 39 taking control and we thankfully had gas for an oven to keep us warm and make food.

I’ll be praying for you guys.

• Like (+1) 2

Depends exactly where the band is. In 2014 storm, the airport hand snow. The Erie County emergency HQ at the county  fire tower befhnd the Cheektowaga  Police Station (1.5 miles south) they had less than 6 inches. At Walden and Union (another 1.5 miles farther south).we had at least 7 FEET of snow. Towards the city. we could see the blue sky over downtown (5 miles away) during the storm. Niagara County  sent down road graders, and highlights. They could only make it as far south as William and Harlem. Had to unload the equipment and start cleaning the streets  from there.

18 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

It could be perfect weather at game time Sunday afternoon. The issue is if 4+ feet gets dumped on the area Thursday - Saturday, not enough time to clear the stadium out so it is useable and the roads clear so players can even get there.

Have to think they will salt the roads and every plow will be going 24-7. With those totals it will still be hard to keep up with the storm.

21 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

For that really snowy Colt's game (the year before Josh I believe),the county semt every plow hey could spare to clean the area adjacent to the stadium.  Brother works for the County Highway Dept.  and they spent the whole game (about 8" during the game) plowing Abbot Road and Southwestern.  The State also sent plows there.The lots were almost impossible to get out of, but once they got on the roads, it was no problem.

I planned on coming to this game from Columbus, Ohio but starting to look doubtful. 

If any locals are interested I have two tickets in club section 237 - send me a message.  Haven't officially called the trip - but trending that way and will do so Friday/Saturday depending on conditions.

18 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Depends exactly where the band is. In 2014 storm, the airport hand snow. The Erie County emergency HQ at the county  fire tower befhnd the Cheektowaga  Police Station (1.5 miles south) they had less than 6 inches. At Walden and Union (another 1.5 miles farther south).we had at least 7 FEET of snow. Towards the city. we could see the blue sky over downtown (5 miles away) during the storm. Niagara County  sent down road graders, and highlights. They could only make it as far south as William and Harlem. Had to unload the equipment and start cleaning the streets  from there.

I remember that one. I live in Niagara Falls (sun shining), work in Amherst (2 feet). I remember a photo from the airport where they had 7 feet and there was so much snow on the tail of one parked plane it popped a wheelie.

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Have to think they will salt the roads and every plow will be going 24-7. With those totals it will still be hard to keep up with the storm.

For sure and if it is just a typical Buffalo winter storm they will keep up. If it ends up turning into a historic November 2014 type storm, that's when they can't keep up, get buried, and need a few days to dig out.

21 minutes ago, wolfpack78 said:

I planned on coming to this game from Columbus, Ohio but starting to look doubtful. 

If any locals are interested I have two tickets in club section 237 - send me a message.  Haven't officially called the trip - but trending that way and will do so Friday/Saturday depending on conditions.

Oh man...I'm not going to say don't come, but as someone who has driven in conditions like this before, I wouldn't advise it.  I don't ever want to do that again...it's literally white knuckle driving at 10-15 mph to wherever you end up going, although the only good thing is the bands are not typically more than 5-10 miles wide at any given point.  The I-90 likely will be shut down also, so you might have to take back roads which may not even be passable.

15 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

For sure and if it is just a typical Buffalo winter storm they will keep up. If it ends up turning into a historic November 2014 type storm, that's when they can't keep up, get buried, and need a few days to dig out.

Yeah, we could quite possibly be under travel bans as well, which would make driving to the game technically illegal.

Edited by Big Turk

With the Bills playing on Thanksgiving, what are the options here?

Could they possibly decide today to move the game to an unused facility Sunday? If they don't, and everything gets closed down, this game could get pushed back. Then the Thanksgiving game would have to be moved to the weekend. I'm sure the NFL wouldn't want that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.