The 4th & 2 playcalling

Success

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He is NOT a precision route runner which is what is needed from your slot receiver.  

This required no precision as far as route running - just run to the green grass. He has zero field awareness.

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think we all realize at this point Isiah isn’t in Cole Beasleys area code but he’s the best we have right now 

I'd much rather see Shakir in the role at this point.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Well McKenzie sucks. But we knew that a year ago. And Beane did nothing in the off-season to address it. 

Shakir needs to be utilized more.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You didn’t like the idea of sending every single receiving option into the endzone when you only need two yards?

Yeah, me neither. Dorsey turned 4th and 2 into 4th and Goal.

D7-F63228-827-E-4-DC4-A599-87647-F741-CF

RB was wide open to the left coming out of backfield for the easy conversion.    Josh played it like it was 4th and goal.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It was there regardless. Allen threw it late. He should be throwing it right now:

384-B1578-B674-43-AB-9973-0-F307-EA01135

I agree. Have to look at the All-22 - can't see how close the defender is in that broadcast view. Regardless though - the design of the play was not the issue - there was a play to be had there.

• Like (+1) 1

It's really hard to argue with McD's decisions to go for it on 4th down. Almost always the correct ones. We can not like the result or the playcall, but the decision itself is hard to argue with.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

RB was wide open to the left coming out of backfield for the easy conversion.    Josh played it like it was 4th and goal.

The bigger question was why was that running back Duke Johnson and not Hines or Cook, the 2 RBs the Bills aquired to be in the passing game. In fact Duke was in for all 3 of those short yardage plays at the goal line, even though they were all passing plays.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was Duke Johnson and he had a defender on him and closing fast. It would have probably been a bang-bang play at the first down marker, or Duke would have had to make him miss.

He may have even been hit so hard that he doesn’t catch the ball.

AED55526-0296-4-F2-F-AC57-FB1520909-A90.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the problem I have once we get to the 25 yard line and in. And it was the same on the overtime INT. Just because josh can throw to the end zone from there and has thrown TDs from that distance doesn’t mean you play call as if you HAVE to get a TD on a single play! Continue getting first downs and hey genius idea - get closer and maybe it’ll be easier and less feeling to force a bad throw. Even the pass to Knox on 1st down in overtime. Yes he could’ve caught it, but we were moving the ball perfectly fine in the last possession of the 4th and in OT. WHY NOT CONTINUE THAT DOWN TO THE 3 YARD LINE AND PUNCH IT IN?!?!?!?!

Just because Josh CAN doesn’t mean you HAVE to.

• Like (+1) 3

I probably would have gone for it on 4th and 2 also, but 2nd and 3rd down play calls were terrible. 

I used to get frustrated that, under Daboll, we would keep going for 1st downs instead of TDs in the red zone. But in that situation yesterday we absolutely should have run it 6 times from the 6, if needed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's really hard to argue with McD's decisions to go for it on 4th down. Almost always the correct ones. We can not like the result or the playcall, but the decision itself is hard to argue with.

Context matters though.

I am usually pro-go-for-it.

But in the context of the situation, where you have a QB struggling, and you have a chance to go up 2 touchdowns, I think you take the field goal considering the context of this particular situation.

• Agree 2

Just now, Einstein said:

Context matters though.

I am usually pro-go-for-it.

But in the context of the situation, where you have a QB struggling, and you have a chance to go up 2 touchdowns, I think you take the field goal considering the context of this particular situation.

He wasn't struggling at that point...he was playing lights out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If down by 10, yes.  Not up by 10.  It was nothing short of asinine to go for it.

Disagree.   It's the choice between a 2 score or 3 score game and you only need 2 yards to sustain that drive.  It was the right decision - you have a freakishly mobile battering ram of a QB who is considered a top 5 player in the league - it was just a mix of bad playcalling and terrible execution.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

Disagree.  Analytics tell you to go for it there.  It's the choice between a 2 score or 3 score game and you only need 2 yards to sustain that drive.  It was the right decision - you have a freakishly mobile battering ram of a QB who is considered a top 5 player in the league - it was just a mix of bad playcalling and terrible execution.

Going up two touchdowns with 10 minutes left in the game would have been the right thing to do.  My mind will never change about it.  It's okay that we disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He wasn't struggling at that point...he was playing lights out.

Allen had missed 3 of his past 5 throws and taken a sack and one of the throws was super high and Diggs made an insane catch, before that 4th down play.

The offense had scored 3 points in the last 15 minutes of game time.

He was struggling. So was the offense.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I probably would have gone for it on 4th and 2 also, but 2nd and 3rd down play calls were terrible. 

I used to get frustrated that, under Daboll, we would keep going for 1st downs instead of TDs in the red zone. But in that situation yesterday we absolutely should have run it 6 times from the 6, if needed. 

2 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

I have less of a problem with the 4th and 2 play call and am much more frustrated with not running it on 2nd and 2 and 3rd and two.  If an offense can't get two yards running the ball on three consecutive plays, that's a problem.

What both these guys said.

1 minute ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

I have less of a problem with the 4th and 2 play call and am much more frustrated with not running it on 2nd and 2 and 3rd and two.  If an offense can't get two yards running the ball on three consecutive plays, that's a problem.

Agreed... The play calling on 2nd & 2 & 3rd & 2 caused the whole issue.  This has been a real problem with Dorsey in general this whole year.  I know they want to limit the hits on Josh, but if they are that concerned about running the ball in those situations, then bring in a heavy package to lead our 240 lb QB.  Get the damn first down then get pass happy after you pick up a 1st down.  

The same thing happened earlier in the game after Diggs caught an 18 yard pass on 1st & 20.  Can't throw every freaking down especially with a QB who is struggling with his reads.

They need to get more creative with their running game.  Same crappy slow developing inside handoff or a quick pitch, and that's pretty much all they do.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.