The 4th & 2 playcalling

Success

I hate to belabor this one - but it was genuinely concerning.

We can set aside the decision to go for it for now, which I disagreed with.  But it wasn't THAT crazy, given the talent on our offense.

The sequence there from 2nd down on was as unimaginative as anything I've seen.  It was almost like we'd call it in a pick-up game.  Everybody go out, and try to get open!  Am I missing anything there?  Was there anything set up on any of those 3 downs that was more than Allen dropping back and surveying the field?

Great teams always seem to have some play in their back pocket - a "gotta have" play, when you have short yardage & a chance to put the game away.  Do we not have that?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Success said:

We can set aside the decision to go for it for now, which I disagreed with.  But it wasn't THAT crazy, given the talent on our offense.

The sequence there from 2nd down on was as unimaginative as anything I've seen.  It was almost like we'd call it in a pick-up game.  Everybody go out, and try to get open!  Am I missing anything there?  Was there anything set up on any of those 3 downs that was more than Allen dropping back and surveying the field?

Great teams always seem to have some play in their back pocket - a "gotta have" play, when you have short yardage & a chance to put the game away.  Do we not have that?

No because we don't have a good OL. The Bills are one of the worst teams in the league in short yardage situations.  I would have kicked the FG as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Success said:

That sequence was absolutely inexcusable.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

You didn’t like the idea of sending every single receiving option into the endzone when you only need two yards?

Yeah, me neither. Dorsey turned 4th and 2 into 4th and Goal.

D7-F63228-827-E-4-DC4-A599-87647-F741-CF

Duke was wide open for a quick 2 yards in the flat to the left right away.

Josh could have also scrambled to his left, probably for a TD, just  before he ran to his right...

But why couldn't we run the ball for the 1st down on 2nd and 2, or 3rd and 2?

• Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Success said:

The third down play to Lil Dirty was there if he just flattens the route instead of drifting - which is why Josh double clutched it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, 2nd down was a screen pass where the OL kinda bumped into each other screwing up the timing, which doesn't really match the bolded.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Duke was wide open for a quick 2 yards in the flat to the left right away.

Duke had a defender in front of him.

Probably a 50/50 chance if he makes the defender miss. Actually more like 70/30, I think he gets it.

Edited by Einstein

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You didn’t like the idea of sending every single receiving option into the endzone when you only need two yards?

Yeah, me neither. Dorsey turned 4th and 2 into 4th and Goal.

D7-F63228-827-E-4-DC4-A599-87647-F741-CF

If Allen doubled back, he might have scored...he had 3 OL standing there and nobody out that way on the defense.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

The third down play to Lil Dirty was there if he just flattens the route instead of drifting - which is why Josh double clutched it.

He is NOT a precision route runner which is what is needed from your slot receiver.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The series that confirmed to me that Dorsey ain't it. Sorry, but a proper OC would never call something like that with two yards to go. Power sweep with Cook or even Josh gets it. 

And a proper HC would have chosen to go up by 13 points instead of letting the OC have the chance to f*ck it up.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Dorsey is a major problem. Offense has zero creativity. Zero situational awareness. 

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th down calls there were atrocious. 

People blaming McDermott on the decision to go for it. It was absolutely the right call. Go up three scores. 

Get two yards for ****s sake. 

They were atrocious because they didn't work. The play designs were fine.

8 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Well McKenzie sucks. But we knew that a year ago. And Beane did nothing in the off-season to address it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.