NFL “games of the year”

ChronicAndKnuckles

Going through the Youtube highlights I was watching highlights of all the games I missed because of feeling to sick over the loss yesterday. Then I saw that they labeled it “game of the year” which it absolutely was. It just seems like Josh Allen and the Bills are always on the losing end of these spectacular games. 13, seconds, Hail Murray, Bills/Vikings, etc. Even the music city miracle pre- Allen is a modern NFL classic. You have to go all the way back to the early 90s to even find a classic game that the Bills came out on the winning end, the Oilers  comeback. And I’m not even blaming Allen because both the Hail Murray and 13 seconds were not his fault, it points more to the coaching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well, when you lose 90% of close games and can't win in OT, probably going to be on the bad end of "Games of the Year" more often than not. 

It's absolutely reflective of coaching.  One game here, one game there, can be on a player/players.  A trend like this is coaching. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Well, when you lose 90% of close games and can't win in OT, probably going to be on the bad end of "Games of the Year" more often than not. 

It's absolutely reflective of coaching.  One game here, one game there, can be on a player/players.  A trend like this is coaching. 

So what coaches need replacing?  Is it HC which means complete reset or is it DC or OC?  Easiest scapegoat would be to replace Dorsey, maybe

there's some resistance to that from Allen?   And to be clear I agree it is a coaching failure.  Just where do they need to start? 

Edited by AuntieEm

36 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

We are the Washington Generals to the league's Harlem Globetrotters of the moment - always the fall guy...

So the nfl is scripted like WWE certainly has been a theory and certainly nothing disproves it could be fact.  I can also come up with a few other alternate conspiracy theories  that cannot be disproven but make for an entertaining theory.  

I have always been a big supporter of this coaching staff and think they've done a tremendous job, in combination with the front office, to make the Bills a contender and an attractive destination for free agents.  But this, as pointed out above, is 3 of these types of losses in 3 years (Hail Murray, 13 seconds, Minnesota mess).  The Houston wild-card game a few years ago was not as dramatic, but also a squandering of a big lead on the big stage, could be considered a 4th.  Even the AFC Championship game in KC a few years ago started out with a 9-0 Bills lead and they lost, squandering a great start, maybe a 5th?  How often do you get spotted a 9-point lead in a huge playoff game?

So, yes, I am finally coming around to thinking that the coaching staff has major in-game issues.  I'm not going to dig too deep into yesterday's game (I did that in another thread), but just to say that the decision to not take the easy 3 points on 4th and 2 started the downfall of the team in yesterday's game.  If they take that 3 points, all of the rest that followed (good and bad) probably wouldn't have happened and probably wouldn't have mattered.

• Agree 2

The OT’s are killing us.  If any of the last 3 go the Bills way it likely changes the course of the teams fortunes.

Win at Tampa and maybe they avoid KC in the playoffs or it’s at home.

Win at KC and well…hello AFC Championship game in Orchard Park.

Win yesterday and it’s TBD but this could ultimately cost them the AFC East title, seeding and possibly worse.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I have always been a big supporter of this coaching staff and think they've done a tremendous job, in combination with the front office, to make the Bills a contender and an attractive destination for free agents.  But this, as pointed out above, is 3 of these types of losses in 3 years (Hail Murray, 13 seconds, Minnesota mess).  The Houston wild-card game a few years ago was not as dramatic, but also a squandering of a big lead on the big stage, could be considered a 4th.  Even the AFC Championship game in KC a few years ago started out with a 9-0 Bills lead and they lost, squandering a great start, maybe a 5th?  How often do you get spotted a 9-point lead in a huge playoff game?

So, yes, I am finally coming around to thinking that the coaching staff has major in-game issues.  I'm not going to dig too deep into yesterday's game (I did that in another thread), but just to say that the decision to not take the easy 3 points on 4th and 2 started the downfall of the team in yesterday's game.  If they take that 3 points, all of the rest that followed (good and bad) probably wouldn't have happened and probably wouldn't have mattered.

Nearly spit out my beer when they didn’t take the points. Fans shouldn’t be smarter than professional NFL coordinators. 

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

So what coaches need replacing?  Is it HC which means complete reset or is it DC or OC?  Easiest scapegoat would be to replace Dorsey, maybe

there's some resistance to that from Allen?   And to be clear I agree it is a coaching failure.  Just where do they need to start? 

The steelers philosophy is find the smartest coach you can then give him time to figure things out.   Do we not have that kind of time with Dorsey?  He is 9 games into his OC career.

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

The steelers philosophy is find the smartest coach you can then give him time to figure things out.   Do we not have that kind of time with Dorsey?  He is 9 games into his OC career.

Really don't care what their philosophy is.  They don't have a talent like Josh to properly develop.  Right now it seems more like Josh Allen is just winging it and he's out of his talent range which is very wide.

We probably wouldn't be contenders with most qbs out there so Josh does get the credit for being the reason Bills are SB favorites. He does not get a free pass from being the reason for a loss. 

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

The OT’s are killing us.  If any of the last 3 go the Bills way it likely changes the course of the teams fortunes.

Win yesterday and it’s TBD but this could ultimately cost them the AFC East title, seeding and possibly worse.

Does anyone know what McDermott’s overtime record is? 

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

The 2019 Playoff OT loss to the Texans and the Hail Murray are other terrible losses.. probably never cost them the Championship those years but just additional bitter pills that the fans have to swallow...

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Does anyone know what McDermott’s overtime record is? 

1-4 

in 2017 we beat the 3-10 Colts in the snow game in OT. Insanely lucky to get the win when we punted with 4 minutes left in OT.

Since then we've lost to the Texans (playoff game), Bucs, Chiefs (playoff game), and now Vikings.

Edit to add coin flips:

We won the flip vs Colts and Bucs. 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I'd rather be here now than the Buffalo Bills of 2000-2017.

That won’t happen as long as Josh Allen is here. I’m not ready to bring out the pitchforks yet. Let’s see how the season unfolds, but if we come up short once again especially in another close game you have to wonder when enough is enough. 

17 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I'm ok with all of them being replaced. They're not good enough

12 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Really don't care what their philosophy is.  They don't have a talent like Josh to properly develop.  Right now it seems more like Josh Allen is just winging it and he's out of his talent range which is very wide.

We probably wouldn't be contenders with most qbs out there so Josh does get the credit for being the reason Bills are SB favorites. He does not get a free pass from being the reason for a loss. 

Allen is about as raw a prospect as you can get. Sometimes he reverts back occasionally. I think he was developed perfectly. Regardless, coaches have won titles w/ much lesser QBs. I feel like we are winning despite of coaching, but usually on Allen willing them to victory. We really needed good coaching for that Vikings loss. For once to help Allen when he was a ***** game

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That won’t happen as long as Josh Allen is here. I’m not ready to bring out the pitchforks yet. Let’s see how the season unfolds, but if we come up short once again especially in another close game you have to wonder when enough is enough. 

What are you talking about? Please read my quote very carefully.

I wrote "I'd rather be here NOW..." Right now WITH Josh Allen. Today. Not 2000-2017 when we were losers. Where did I bring MY pitchforks? I didn't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.