2021 Allen Compared to 2022 Allen

BuffaloBaumer

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

I concede all of those points.

I do have a simple question, though.

In spite all of the problems you mentioned, if Josh Allen hadn't thrown the picks in the red zone that he has thrown the past two weeks, do you believe the Bills would still have lost those games?

Our defense has flaws. Our offense has flaws. Our personnel, largely due to injury, has holes. Despite all of that, it is my contention that Josh Allen suddenly playing like the 2019 version of himself is the main reason that the Bills have lost the past two games. It is my belief that, even with the flaws this team has and the injuries it's struggling through, if Josh wasn't suddenly throwing boneheaded interceptions -- particularly in the red zone -- the Bills would be 8-1.

I don't know if we win or lose those games without the picks. Our defense can give up huge runs, and our QB is still prone to fumble. Interceptions aside, the Bills looked like hot garbage in the second half of both games.

The issues with the Bills, other than the injuries, are all correctable and should have already been addressed by the coaching staff.

But...here we are.

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

I concede all of those points.

I do have a simple question, though.

In spite all of the problems you mentioned, if Josh Allen hadn't thrown the picks in the red zone that he has thrown the past two weeks, do you believe the Bills would still have lost those games?

Our defense has flaws. Our offense has flaws. Our personnel, largely due to injury, has holes. Despite all of that, it is my contention that Josh Allen suddenly playing like the 2019 version of himself is the main reason that the Bills have lost the past two games. It is my belief that, even with the flaws this team has and the injuries it's struggling through, if Josh wasn't suddenly throwing boneheaded interceptions -- particularly in the red zone -- the Bills would be 8-1.

Exactly where I am. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was Josh and Mitch who gave up a touchdown when the game was all but over tho.

I put the miss on Josh. I think he just missed it. But go watch the playcall. They all run to the endzone. They did on 1st down as well I think. Beats me what the playcall was.

I’ve watched it like 400 times because something just didn’t add up lol it’s a double post and the concept worked so it was Davis with a step on Peterson with no extra help.  There’s two different route options that would’ve worked there and josh threw it to one on a bullet and gabe ran to the other one that would’ve required a lob.  Could be a massive coincidence and just an absolutely terrible throw but I’m not so sure that’s the case.  

this is certainly not to just blindly defend josh against criticism…he’s had some absolutely terrible throws that were entirely his fault the past few weeks 

but this was not our typical ‘he just didn’t see that defender’ situation.  This was straight up man and Peterson was beat 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

25 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I just don't go end zone there - its 2nd and 10 we needed yards.  Situational football.  

How’d you feel about the first down play to Knox that probably should’ve been hung on to?  I think the 2nd down play should’ve been even more likely to result in a td/first down near the goal line if Davis/josh were on the same page but somebody for sure blew it.  Easy to blame josh cuz he fumbled the game away in regulation but I’m not sure that’s the case.  

either way this team seems pretty terrified of goal to go situations and both Knox/Davis had position on their defenders in single coverage 

it looked gnarly on the broadcast angle cuz something went horribly wrong there lol but the route concept on that final play definitely worked 

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

How’d you feel about the first down play to Knox that probably should’ve been hung on to?  I think the 2nd down play should’ve been even more likely to result in a td/first down near the goal line if Davis/josh were on the same page but somebody for sure blew it.  Easy to blame josh cuz he fumbled the game away in regulation but I’m not sure that’s the case.  

either way this team seems pretty terrified of goal to go situations and both Knox/Davis had position on their defenders in single coverage 

it looked gnarly on the broadcast angle cuz something went horribly wrong there lol but the route concept on that final play definitely worked 

I agree Knox should have caught the 1st down play. Tough catch but makeable. Disagree with you a bit on the final play. Don't think that throw was ever on no matter what Davis did. The one that possibly was on was Morris if he got the ball out quicker but I get game on the line you wanna go to one of your guys. Josh just forced a ball you should not throw IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Knox should have caught the 1st down play. Tough catch but makeable. Disagree with you a bit on the final play. Don't think that throw was ever on no matter what Davis did. The one that possibly was on was Morris if he got the ball out quicker but I get game on the line you wanna go to one of your guys. Josh just forced a ball you should not throw IMO.

Admittedly I’m not even 100% sure…it could’ve just been a throw that was so awful that it looked like Davis was supposed to run a different route 😂 

It’s just so puzzling because the concept worked and it was single coverage with really no gimmicks or wrinkles and Davis won.  There’s almost no way that play can end in an int so naturally that’s what happened haha 

originally it looked like Allen just panicked and launched the ball into triple coverage from the broadcast angle so I was really surprised when I saw some different angles 

6 minutes ago, julian said:

When the going gets tough, the cry babies can’t wait to warn others of the impending Doom.

And the most annoying part about it is they exist in every fan base so the majority are "proven" right each year the respective team doesn't win a super bowl.

I use the words proven right loosely because I bet a certain subset of rams fans were doing the same thing to their forum when they got railroaded by the Titans, 49ers and Packers in a row around this time last year.

9Sun, Nov 7

vsTennessee

L28-16

@San Francisco

L31-10

11BYE WEEK

@Green Bay

L36-28

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Agree 1

On the stages of sporting grief I’m currently at anger and it’s twenty to one in the morning here but I can’t shake this albeit controversial opinion…

I don’t trust Josh. Physically he’s the best Quarterback in the league bar none. Mentally he’s one of the worst. He’s coming across as having no respect for the ball or the opposition. The picks that he’s throwing are, for the most part, ridiculous. He seems incapable of learning lessons offered in preceding games.  He is not a rookie but, more often that not, he plays like one.

He could put five hundred yards and 10 touchdowns on the Browns and I still won’t trust him. This hero play is always there, under the surface, and it appears far too often for him to be anything about a thrilling, talented player but with flaws which means he won’t match expectations. I thought he was turning himself around with the run from the Wildcard game to the first half of the Packers, which hurts the most and is probably why I’m so fed up now.

I been saying over 80 percent of the offense cause I saw the stat. Young gets specific says 86 percent of the touchdowns and 82 percent of the yards. Defends the turnovers with the switch from jack hammer to traditional qb duties he says guy like Brady only have to be concerned with. The switch to violin after dragging and running over linebackers is too much to ask one guy suggests a running game to help. ..says they gotta find a way to lighten his load....I agree 100. You already have the quarterback.  It's the toughest piece to find. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't think that throw was ever on no matter what Davis did.

This is the best angle I've seen of it:

It is actually NOT a bad decision. The window is there IF Davis flattens his route and keeps his leverage in front of Peterson. When Allen releases the ball Davis starts angling into the endzone and Peterson cuts underneath to intercept it. It's also possible that Allen misread it and should have thrown the ball further towards the back of the endzone. Nobody knows. But I actually feel better about the decision after seeing this angle.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is the best angle I've seen of it:

It is actually NOT a bad decision. The window is there IF Davis flattens his route and keeps his leverage in front of Peterson. When Allen releases the ball Davis starts angling into the endzone and Peterson cuts underneath to intercept it. It's also possible that Allen misread it and should have thrown the ball further towards the back of the endzone. Nobody knows. But I actually feel better about the decision after seeing this angle.

It's a forced ball IMO.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It was Josh and Mitch who gave up a touchdown when the game was all but over tho.

I put the pick on Josh. I think he just missed it. But go watch the playcall. They all run to the endzone. They did on 1st down as well I think. Beats me what the thought behind the playcall was.

It wasn’t Josh and Mitch after the game was tied again that promptly allowed the Vikings to drive to the 5 yard line on the next drive 

42 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It wasn’t Josh and Mitch after the game was tied again that promptly allowed the Vikings to drive to the 5 yard line on the next drive 

Agree but it should never have come to that. A depleted defense makes a stand like that at the end of the game the offense has a responsibility not to lose it the next play. 

Offense was the reason we lost yesterday. Even on a day when the defense had its first real bad day of the season. 

You cannot have two turnovers that take points off the board in the redzone and one that gives points away in your own endzone. You just can't. We have to make fewer mistakes. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Agree, the TV angle made it look like horrid judgement and pass but really the Gabe target and timing was spot on throw just ended up a little behind.  

Number 1. Josh is Amazing. A super freak. And we are spoiled if we pick his game apart. He will be fine.

Number 2. Our defense is very banged up. We have 0 starting safeties and only 1 of 3 starting corners on the field. It is very simple. We will get better when we are healthier on the backend. Scoring 30 is going to win you a lot of games.

Number 3. Josh reminds me of Favre. He is Favre 2.0. There will be good with the bad. And a lot more good than bad. Watching Favre was a rollercoaster, but fans got used to it. We will, too. (Did I mention josh is a super freak?)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don't know... I go back and forth, but I think we all forget how poorly Josh played in the middle portion of the season last year until Tampa Bay 2nd Half.

The difference, to me, is I don't remember Josh having so many throws that literally don't make any sense.  He struggled with the Cover 2 shell teams threw at us - If y'all remember, the Bills and Chiefs were both going through slumps.   However, in the last 10 quarters, he's had about 4 turnovers where in a re-watch of the play, either he and the WR are on different planets as to what was supposed to happen, or defenders are literally invisible to him at times.  Including the throw that lost the game yesterday where it was 5 yards off target of any Bills player and thrown into a mess of coverage for no reason. 

He’s also not going through progressions the last 3 weeks. On the all-22 he’s decided where the ball is going pre-snap. He looks past open guys to go for the home run. 

It’s weird. I don’t get it. It also, he’s been this guy before so I don’t know. I think we have to accept as a fan base this is sorta who he is. Favre had a HOF career doing the same thing. Josh will do the same. 

I think Daboll protected us from this a little bit more. He’d call the same play over and over again. Roll Josh right, run 3 crossers at 3 levels across the field with somebody on a curl in front as well. Dorsey has to get call the plays that hide this part of Josh. But also, it’s year 5, the league will figure it out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.