2021 Allen Compared to 2022 Allen

BuffaloBaumer

He just seems stubborn out there at times, refusing to settle for what the defense is giving him.  Purely speculation obviously, but you have to wonder if he’s kinda started buying into his own hype and lost a little bit of that fire and focus which helped transform him from that raw rookie prospect into a generational talent.

Seems to me like he’s out there just slinging it around playing “hero ball” and deviating from the cerebral level of play we saw in the first quarter of the season.  He came out looking like he had a Manning/Brady-esque command over the offense to start the season, and his decision making reflected that.  Now he’s back to looking Favrian, and that’s fun and all sometimes, but it leads to finishes like we saw on Sunday…

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Aside from the obvious interception stat, I feel totally different now when I see Allen drop back for a pass. Last year, if he got rid of the ball relatively quickly, and threw the deep ball, I could not wait to see where that ball was going as you just knew it was going to be a big play. The same could be said when he rolled out and created more time, you just knew when he released it that something big was about to happen.

Now, it's back to the old panic attack as a fan and when he releases it, you just hope it's not another interception. When he threw that ball in OT on 2nd down and released it pretty quickly, I was CONVINCED someone must be WIDE OPEN. It was just so bizarre to see that it was another ball that was not even remotely close to his own receiver. Eventually, I'm sure he will shake this stretch of bad throws off but man, it really was quite a comfort watching him before, totally spoiled.

You're not kidding a few weeks ago I remember even Nick Wright of ESPN was saying that the scariest thing in football was a Josh Allen drop back.  Now it's a joke.

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

He's looking like the 2017 Allen. But he'll be back. 
I'm not one for speculation or conspiracy theories but I must say even as a casual observer that I've noticed his facial expressions when on the side lines and body language are such that I don't remember ever having seen before. He looks confused and somewhat deflated. Not the intangibles we are used to seeing.
Maybe the question is whether this is simply a reaction to poor play or whether it points to another reason that could be a contributing cause and that we as fans at this point have little insight into.

He's looking like a qb with a rookie first year coordinator. Dorsey is not Dabs and these growing pains may take some time. Would I personally rather have an offensive HC, of course. But that is not realistic in the short term. 

Dorsey has to improve and

Josh has to settle down and take the occassional checkdown. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Right. Then what happened? I seem to recall two red zone interceptions and a very important fumbled snap somewhere in there. Were those somehow magically not Allen's fault? Did those turnovers somehow magically not impact the final outcome?

Also, how exactly does one pull a rabbit by the gun?

The "Allen is above reproach and can't be criticized" thing is gross. C'mon now.

He provided 430 out of 480 yards of offense for us. He is not the biggest problem, not by a long shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Please explain how Josh suddenly becoming a turnover machine ISN'T the problem.

My goodness. 

Heck, I'll do it. Josh becoming a "turnover machine" isn't THE problem, although it is a problem.

The Bills have an injury problem this year with multiple starters missing time on both sides of the ball.

The Bills defense is unable to effectively shut down running games.

The Bills do not commit to a offensive running game and why would they when the run blocking sucks.

Multiple times it looks as if Bills receivers run the wrong routes, and it's not the rookie WR doing it.

The Bills offense has been one dimensional for so long that other teams are going to figure out how to counter it.

That should be enough to explain why the "turnover machine" is only a part of bigger issues with the Bills.

One thing drives me crazy with Allen, and I think this is being coached into him.  Throwing the ball into the ground when primary target is covered, even though he is not under pressure.  One of his best assets is his ability to scramble, so why not extend the play, and keep looking for someone to come open. 

Absolutely idiotic coaching. 

19 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Heck, I'll do it. Josh becoming a "turnover machine" isn't THE problem, although it is a problem.

The Bills have an injury problem this year with multiple starters missing time on both sides of the ball.

The Bills defense is unable to effectively shut down running games.

The Bills do not commit to a offensive running game and why would they when the run blocking sucks.

Multiple times it looks as if Bills receivers run the wrong routes, and it's not the rookie WR doing it.

The Bills offense has been one dimensional for so long that other teams are going to figure out how to counter it.

That should be enough to explain why the "turnover machine" is only a part of bigger issues with the Bills.

I concede all of those points.

I do have a simple question, though.

In spite all of the problems you mentioned, if Josh Allen hadn't thrown the picks in the red zone that he has thrown the past two weeks, do you believe the Bills would still have lost those games?

Our defense has flaws. Our offense has flaws. Our personnel, largely due to injury, has holes. Despite all of that, it is my contention that Josh Allen suddenly playing like the 2019 version of himself is the main reason that the Bills have lost the past two games. It is my belief that, even with the flaws this team has and the injuries it's struggling through, if Josh wasn't suddenly throwing boneheaded interceptions -- particularly in the red zone -- the Bills would be 8-1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

I concede all of those points.

I do have a simple question, though.

In spite all of the problems you mentioned, if Josh Allen hadn't thrown the picks in the red zone that he has thrown the past two weeks, do you believe the Bills would still have lost those games?

Our defense has flaws. Our offense has flaws. Our personnel, largely due to injury, has holes. Despite all of that, it is my contention that Josh Allen suddenly playing like the 2019 version of himself is the main reason that the Bills have lost the past two games. It is my belief that, even with the flaws this team has and the injuries it's struggling through, if Josh wasn't suddenly throwing boneheaded interceptions -- particularly in the red zone -- the Bills would be 8-1.

I agree.  Bills would be 8 - 1.  I think Allen is pressing too much.  He's lost confidence in his receivers other than Diggs and the Bills run game is bad.  I believe he feels he has to make something happen in order to win.  He doesn't have enough of a supporting cast. It feels like 2019 all over again even though he has Diggs.

Edited by DCbillsfan

3 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The problem lies with injuries and coaching. You can't be blind to the fact that he has a major int problem this year that is completely avoidable. 

As of this writing, he has the MOST interceptions in the league.  Mind numbingly bad interceptions, too.  Not sure what he's looking at when he throws them. 

I love him and I'll ride with him forever, but he's pressing way too hard.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

The "Allen is above reproach and can't be criticized" thing is gross. C'mon now.

This is true and I agree with you.

But you have to remember that probably more than half of this forum doesn't agree with us.

A lot of folks are here to slot into a community and feel a sense of togetherness.  "Us" vs. "the world" and all that.

They want to surround themselves with a feel-good Bills bubble, all the time.

You can't reason with these people.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Aside from the obvious interception stat, I feel totally different now when I see Allen drop back for a pass. Last year, if he got rid of the ball relatively quickly, and threw the deep ball, I could not wait to see where that ball was going as you just knew it was going to be a big play. The same could be said when he rolled out and created more time, you just knew when he released it that something big was about to happen.

Now, it's back to the old panic attack as a fan and when he releases it, you just hope it's not another interception. When he threw that ball in OT on 2nd down and released it pretty quickly, I was CONVINCED someone must be WIDE OPEN. It was just so bizarre to see that it was another ball that was not even remotely close to his own receiver. Eventually, I'm sure he will shake this stretch of bad throws off but man, it really was quite a comfort watching him before, totally spoiled.

I’m the opposite lol I feel better about the deep passes than the medium passes…deep passes are usually josh picking on single coverage but the short/medium stuff he has been not seeing underneath defenders pretty often 

Josh is the biggest single reason we are 0-2 the last two weeks. But he was the single biggest reason we were 6-1 through seven games. I actually thought he played pretty well in the first half on Sunday but 2nd half and OT it wasn't just the 3 turnovers - everything was off. If Diggs doesn't reel in the amazing one hander that is sailed right towards the safety for a possible INT too. 

I don't think he is getting a lot of help from Dorsey, and who knows how much the injury is a factor but the last two games he has made game killing mistakes. You can see how frustrated he is with himself. The good news? 12 months ago this was Patrick Mahomes. He had that run last year where he was hurting the Chiefs with stupid turnovers and mistakes. He shook out of it and I am sure Josh will. They need to focus on getting him in rhythm. He has always been a guy who is better when he is throwing early and often. I think between trying to establish the run an Dorsey struggling to find drive starters with any regularatry they have not had him in his groove. And we are living with the results.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

This!

A thousand times this!

Just looking at Allen’s face yesterday was depressing. He didn’t look like normal Allen. He looked “off”. Hard to even describe. 

Did he and Brittany break-up? That will do this to ya. 

21 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

As of this writing, he has the MOST interceptions in the league.  Mind numbingly bad interceptions, too.  Not sure what he's looking at when he throws them. 

I love him and I'll ride with him forever, but he's pressing way too hard.

He’s had some real bad ones that were entirely on him…but something odd happened on that final play yesterday.  The double post worked to perfection clearing out the safety and Davis had a step on Peterson in single coverage.  If Davis wasn’t expected to route adjust based on the coverage that ball would’ve been aired out to the back of the end zone so josh would have bulleted the ball for no reason and missed by about 12 yards. Pretty unlikely.  

I’ve seen people saying Davis was supposed to cut his route short and sit underneath because the safety went high which very well may have been the case and it would’ve put the throw pretty much right on target and Davis would’ve had Peterson boxed out and been open 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He’s had some real bad ones that were entirely on him…but something odd happened on that final play yesterday.  The double post worked to perfection clearing out the safety and Davis had a step on Peterson in single coverage.  If Davis wasn’t expected to route adjust based on the coverage that ball would’ve been aired out to the back of the end zone so josh would have bulleted the ball for no reason and missed by about 12 yards. Pretty unlikely.  

I’ve seen people saying Davis was supposed to cut his route short and sit underneath because the safety went high which very well may have been the case and it would’ve put the throw pretty much right on target and Davis would’ve had Peterson boxed out and been open 

I just don't go end zone there - its 2nd and 10 we needed yards.  Situational football.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It wasn’t Josh that gave up an 80 yard td run when they where up 27-10 much less 200 yards receiving to Justin Jefferson 

It was Josh and Mitch who gave up a touchdown when the game was all but over tho.

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I just don't go end zone there - its 2nd and 10 we needed yards.  Situational football.  

I put the pick on Josh. I think he just missed it. But go watch the playcall. They all run to the endzone. They did on 1st down as well I think. Beats me what the thought behind the playcall was.

Edited by GunnerBill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.