2021 Allen Compared to 2022 Allen

BuffaloBaumer

Aside from the obvious interception stat, I feel totally different now when I see Allen drop back for a pass. Last year, if he got rid of the ball relatively quickly, and threw the deep ball, I could not wait to see where that ball was going as you just knew it was going to be a big play. The same could be said when he rolled out and created more time, you just knew when he released it that something big was about to happen.

Now, it's back to the old panic attack as a fan and when he releases it, you just hope it's not another interception. When he threw that ball in OT on 2nd down and released it pretty quickly, I was CONVINCED someone must be WIDE OPEN. It was just so bizarre to see that it was another ball that was not even remotely close to his own receiver. Eventually, I'm sure he will shake this stretch of bad throws off but man, it really was quite a comfort watching him before, totally spoiled.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

He's looking like the 2017 Allen. But he'll be back. 
I'm not one for speculation or conspiracy theories but I must say even as a casual observer that I've noticed his facial expressions when on the side lines and body language are such that I don't remember ever having seen before. He looks confused and somewhat deflated. Not the intangibles we are used to seeing.
Maybe the question is whether this is simply a reaction to poor play or whether it points to another reason that could be a contributing cause and that we as fans at this point have little insight into.

2022 Allen looks like a guy that thought he had it all figured out and the game was coming very easy to him...  Now he can't seem to comprehend or adjust that he is the opponents Super Bowl.  These are grown NFL men coming after him.  They just want to crush him and/or bait him into mistakes and turnovers.  Josh can still be Josh,,,,and scramble around.. but sometimes the punt or the FG are better than a risky play and turnover (or turnover on downs).  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The frustrating part to the 2 losses against the Jets and the Vikings is that all he had to do was not make the throw at all and they win both games. It's very hard to figure out from a fan's perspective as we don't know what he is looking at...

his competitiveness has become a bit of an Achilles heel.  He’s matured in a lot of ways, but as it stands today his next maturation point is not forcing things that don’t need to be forced.

1. Slide instead of doing the acrobatic whirling pretzel routine- there is a place for that, but it happens far to often for my liking.  His ability to run is a big advantage, but it’s also a potential season ender. 

2. you’re an elite QB, with an elite roster when healthy- throw the ball away, there will be other opportunities.  We lose games because we try to win with swagger.  Stop doing that *****.  Remember, we still get 3 points on 4th down if we don’t throw it to the other team.  Those add up. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

You guys should really do something else with your time if you think this teams problems lie with the quarterback. 

The problem lies with injuries and coaching. You can't be blind to the fact that he has a major int problem this year that is completely avoidable. 

Edited by BuffaloBaumer
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

You guys should really do something else with your time if you think this teams problems lie with the quarterback. 

Amazing that you could say this with a straight face.

Two interceptions in three straight games. Leads the league in interceptions. Turned the ball over three times yesterday, including a botched QB-center exchange in his own end zone and a boneheaded pick in the red zone in overtime. Has thrown just one touchdown in the past two games. Bills haven't scored a second half touchdown since Kansas City.

Please explain how Josh suddenly becoming a turnover machine ISN'T the problem.

My goodness. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't know... I go back and forth, but I think we all forget how poorly Josh played in the middle portion of the season last year until Tampa Bay 2nd Half.

The difference, to me, is I don't remember Josh having so many throws that literally don't make any sense.  He struggled with the Cover 2 shell teams threw at us - If y'all remember, the Bills and Chiefs were both going through slumps.   However, in the last 10 quarters, he's had about 4 turnovers where in a re-watch of the play, either he and the WR are on different planets as to what was supposed to happen, or defenders are literally invisible to him at times.  Including the throw that lost the game yesterday where it was 5 yards off target of any Bills player and thrown into a mess of coverage for no reason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The problem lies with injuries and coaching. You can't be blind to the fact that he has a major int problem this year that is completely avoidable. 

Yall applauded the Cook pick. They haven't had a running game in years. The guy is trying to get it done. It's always last possession cause you can't run. Defenses don't have to adjust . They just need to make 17 uncomfortable 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Aside from the obvious interception stat, I feel totally different now when I see Allen drop back for a pass. Last year, if he got rid of the ball relatively quickly, and threw the deep ball, I could not wait to see where that ball was going as you just knew it was going to be a big play. The same could be said when he rolled out and created more time, you just knew when he released it that something big was about to happen.

Now, it's back to the old panic attack as a fan and when he releases it, you just hope it's not another interception. When he threw that ball in OT on 2nd down and released it pretty quickly, I was CONVINCED someone must be WIDE OPEN. It was just so bizarre to see that it was another ball that was not even remotely close to his own receiver. Eventually, I'm sure he will shake this stretch of bad throws off but man, it really was quite a comfort watching him before, totally spoiled.

And likely there is but it's usually not his first read.  He doesn't find the best open guy it's like he has to chose which guy he will throw to pre snap and won't checkdown.

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amazing that you could say this with a straight face.

Two interceptions in three straight games. Leads the league in interceptions. Turned the ball over three times yesterday, including a botched QB-center exchange in his own end zone and a boneheaded pick in the red zone in overtime. Has thrown just one touchdown in the past two games. Bills haven't scored a second half touchdown since Kansas City.

Please explain how Josh suddenly becoming a turnover machine ISN'T the problem.

My goodness. 

He gave you a 17 point lead... .the chiefs game gives you lead with 13 secs left. ...dolphins game led.. it's all him. And they give it back and cry when he don't pull a rabbit by the gun. Cause you can't work a clock . You can't give defenses rest cause you have featherweights who can't move the chains. Josh has to run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, gridirongold said:

He gave you a 17 point lead... .the chiefs game gives you lead with 13 secs left. ...dolphins game led.. it's all him. And they give it back and cry when he don't pull a rabbit by the gun. Cause you can't work a clock . You can't give defenses rest cause you have featherweights who can't move the chains. Josh has to run. 

Right. Then what happened? I seem to recall two red zone interceptions and a very important fumbled snap somewhere in there. Were those somehow magically not Allen's fault? Did those turnovers somehow magically not impact the final outcome?

Also, how exactly does one pull a rabbit by the gun?

The "Allen is above reproach and can't be criticized" thing is gross. C'mon now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

I must say even as a casual observer that I've noticed his facial expressions when on the side lines and body language are such that I don't remember ever having seen before

This!

A thousand times this!

Just looking at Allen’s face yesterday was depressing. He didn’t look like normal Allen. He looked “off”. Hard to even describe. 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

This!

A thousand times this!

Just looking at Allen’s face yesterday was depressing. He didn’t look like normal Allen. He looked “off”. Hard to even describe. 

Again, as i mentioned in an earlier post the game was coming so easy for him.  From the end of last season and playoffs through about the first half of Green Bay.  I don’t think he can comprehend why the throws that we’re working are suddenly covered and disguises are fooling him.  He’s not adjusting.  I just think he’s in shock that the game is not coming as easy as it did.

But this is why we all love NFL football. It’s unpredictable and happens live. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right. Then what happened? I seem to recall two red zone interceptions and a very important fumbled snap somewhere in there. Were those somehow magically not Allen's fault? Did those turnovers somehow magically not impact the final outcome?

Also, how exactly does one pull a rabbit by the gun?

The "Allen is above reproach and can't be criticized" thing is gross. C'mon now.

I wouldn't doubt if he Flys the plane too on road games. . Maybe you'd like a Losman or someone equivalent? Morse was just as much to blame. To me the guy is exonerated.  ***** happened . Shouldn't of been there to begin with.  They wouldn't even use the kicker.. bury them now Josh or we gonna Amp up the pressure on ya

• Eyeroll 3

The guy is so good they changed the rules. What a shame they thought not getting to see him catch the chiefs one more time.  Let Beane know you think it's bs he doesn't have someone back there with him. A little preservation.  You'd coulda at least gotten 13 seconds better with a draft class that's tearing it up on the ground around the leauge.  

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.