If Hyde and Poyer Are Healthy, We're Undefeated

st pete gogolak

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Dude, there's something rotten in Denmark when it comes to this team.

I think it's among the coaching staff. Who, I can't say. Probably in this order:

1) McDermott

2) McDermott

3) McDermott

4) Frazier

5) Dorsey

Interesting that the guy who threw two interceptions three weeks in a row -- when NOT throwing those interceptions would almost certainly have meant two wins instead of two losses -- doesn't make your list.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

“IF” my Aunt had balls, she’d be…

Yeah. Unfortunately we’re not in a world of what ifs. We’re in a world of reality and facts. The fact is, Poyer and Hyde are hurt, and the reality is we have lost 3 very winnable games. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Interesting that the guy who threw two interceptions three weeks in a row -- when NOT throwing those interceptions would almost certainly have meant two wins instead of two losses -- doesn't make your list.

I find it hard to blame the guy who basically plays 1 v 11 every week.

But sure, OK, whatever makes you feel better about the ginger

• Eyeroll 1

Not sure if this was already discussed, so sorry if repeat...but did you guys notice on 4th and 18 catch by Jefferson, if Cam had simply tried to bat the ball down instead of going for the int, game over!  He seemed to assist the ball getting secured by Jefferson while going for the pick!  Its $th down. just knock it away!!

Edited by Cache

1 minute ago, Cache said:

Not sure if this was already discussed, so sorry if repeat...but did you guys notice on 4th and 18 catch by Jefferson, if Cam had simply tried to bat the ball down instead of going for the int, game over!  He seemed to assist the ball getting secured by Jefferson while going for the pick!  Its $th down. just knock it away!!

nauseating.

this team habitually gives up at least one play like that per year.

Just now, Cache said:

Not sure if this was already discussed, so sorry if repeat...but did you guys notice on 4th and 18 catch by Jefferson, if Cam had simply tried to bat the ball down instead of going for the int, game over!  He seemed to assist the ball getting secured by Jefferson while going for the pick!

I've seen this play debated all day on social media and Lewis saying he should have knocked it down.

Here's the thing, if the coaches didn't tell him to do that to begin with in that situation it shows they are bad at their jobs and need to go.

If they did tell him to do it, then he didn't listen and should be cut immediately to send a message. At least that is what a franchise serious about competing for a championship would do.

• Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I find it hard to blame the guy who basically plays 1 v 11 every week.

But sure, OK, whatever makes you feel better about the ginger

I see Josh Allen has reached "completely above criticism" levels of fan worship amongst some Bills fans. Two interceptions two weeks in a row, when simply throwing the ball into the dirt on all four of those attempts would almost certaimly have resulted in the Bills winning both games? Irrelevant. It's all coach's fault!

Just now, Logic said:

I see Josh Allen has reached "completely above criticism" levels of fan worship amongst some Bills fans. Two interceptions two weeks in a row, when simply throwing the ball into the dirt on all four of those attempts would almost certaimly have resulted in the Bills winning both games? Irrelevant. It's all coach's fault!

Riiight. I've criticized Josh here already.

But let's talk about the vaunted defense. The heavily-invested defense. The ginger's specialty. You're McDermott. Your entire starting secondary is out. Teams are battering you on the ground for weeks. Do you consider getting out of nickel? Maybe, give it a try?

NO! Because by golly, you're Sean McDermott, and you know better than EVERYONE.

lol come on guy.

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Riiight. I've criticized Josh here already.

But let's talk about the vaunted defense. The heavily-invested defense. The ginger's specialty. You're McDermott. Your entire starting secondary is out. Teams are battering you on the ground for weeks. Do you consider getting out of nickel? Maybe, give it a try?

NO! Because by golly, you're Sean McDermott, and you know better than EVERYONE.

lol come on guy.

1. The vaunted defense that you're criticizing, even despite all of its injuries, is second in the league in points per game allowed. Last year it was #1. In 2019 it was #2. I'm taking the judgement and personnel deployment of a man whose defense is currently 2nd in the league in PPG allowed and has fielded a top two unit in three out of the last four seasons over an angry message board poster on overreaction Monday.

2. No part of me thinks that someone referring to our head coach as "the ginger" is looking for any form of reasonable adult discussion.

• Eyeroll 1

Out of all the things people are saying, I feel this is the most accurate.

Having that safety net back there really changed what the defense was able to do. The defense Frazier wants to run & the pressure we want to generate without blitzing is made possible having 2 x All Pros (and great leaders) back there anchoring the DBs.

Then when you lose Milano or Edmunds on top of that & still no Tre White? The defense becomes a shell of what it used to be. 

Edited by BigDingus

10 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

This is NOT an excuse.  EVERY team suffers injuries.  Baltimore's season was wiped out last year with injuries.  Chargers this year.  Pittsburgh lost the Defensive Player of the Year for half a season.  

But if Hyde and Poyer were healthy and played every game this year, I believe this team is 9 - 0, maybe 8 - 1 (possible would have lost Jets debacle regardless).  It's pretty obvious that they are the heart and soul of this defense.  

Right now, forget about home field.  Goals: (1) cross your fingers we are healthy as possible going into playoffs; (2) clean up the turnovers; (3) find a way to run for first downs on 2nd and short and 3rd and short.   

How undefeated were the Bills last year with these two playing?

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How undefeated were the Bills last year with these two playing?

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  This year they lost to Miami by two in a brutal game where Bills players were keeling over with heat stroke.  This is personal opinion of course but if Hyde and Poyer play in that game, they win.  Granted, offense wasn't great even though they put up almost 500 yards of offense.  NYJ loss, don't know.  Again, offense wasn't great, not sure two safeties would have made that much of a difference stopping the NYJ run game.  Minnesota?  Absolutely convinced they win that game in a walk if Hyde and Poyer play.  

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  This year they lost to Miami by two in a brutal game where Bills players were keeling over with heat stroke.  This is personal opinion of course but if Hyde and Poyer play in that game, they win.  Granted, offense wasn't great even though they put up almost 500 yards of offense.  NYJ loss, don't know.  Again, offense wasn't great, not sure two safeties would have made that much of a difference stopping the NYJ run game.  Minnesota?  Absolutely convinced they win that game in a walk if Hyde and Poyer play.  

They got blown out by Indy/Wentz/Taylor last yea with Poyer/Hyde/Milano/Tre White.  They gave up 34 the Titans  with Poyer/Hyde.  

But THIS year, they would be undefeated with those two in every game.  Or maybe not, you are now saying...?

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They got blown out by Indy/Wentz/Taylor last yea with Poyer/Hyde/Milano/Tre White.  They gave up 34 the Titans  with Poyer/Hyde.  

But THIS year, they would be undefeated with those two in every game.  Or maybe not, you are now saying...?

Have no idea why you keep referring to last season.  My opinion is that with Hyde and Poyer they win both Miami and Minnesota.  NYJ closer call but it's not J. Johnson taking horrible angles at running backs either.  Yes, in all three games the offense left something to be desired but again, the thesis is that THIS YEAR, with Hyde and Poyer we would be minimum 8 - 1, very possibly 9 - 0.

21 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Have no idea why you keep referring to last season.  My opinion is that with Hyde and Poyer they win both Miami and Minnesota.  NYJ closer call but it's not J. Johnson taking horrible angles at running backs either.  Yes, in all three games the offense left something to be desired but again, the thesis is that THIS YEAR, with Hyde and Poyer we would be minimum 8 - 1, very possibly 9 - 0.

The most obvious reason is that the Colts and the Titans aren't better than the Jets or Vikings last year, yet the Bills lost with Poyer and Hyde in the game.  

If you are now saying maybe they would not be undefeated, possibly 8-1 then edit or delete the thread.  Other than "Johnson taking horrible angles" you've given no cogent argument why with Poyer/Hyde, the Bills couldn't beat teams like Tenn and Indy, but without them, the Bills can't lose to the Fins or Vikings (or possibly the Jets?).   Or something...

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The most obvious reason is that the Colts and the Titans aren't better than the Jets or Vikings last year, yet the Bills lost with Poyer and Hyde in the game.  

If you are now saying maybe they would not be undefeated, possibly 8-1 then edit or delete the thread.  Other than "Johnson taking horrible angles" you've given no cogent argument why with Poyer/Hyde, the Bills couldn't beat teams like Tenn and Indy, but without them, the Bills can't lose to the Fins or Vikings (or possibly the Jets?).   Or something...

You know, even with Hyde and Poyer, I don't think the Bills beat the '75 Steelers.  Why do you keep referring to last year?  I never said that last year's Bills should have been unbeaten.  The Colts rolled them.  Your argument is just nonsense. Again, with Hyde and Poyer, this team has a very, very good chance of being 9 - 0, or at worst 8 - 1.  Do you deny that?  Did you watch the games?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.