A Few Thoughts about the Vikings game, in no particular order

Virgil

Allen's decision making has been reckless all year. He has had at least four other INTs dropped. 

I posted elsewhere he is playing every snap like it is KC with 30 seconds to play.  He needs to quit the hero crap and start playing smart. He is taking way too many hits.  

If Josh plays smart there is no need for a 40 second drive that was amazing to tie the game (even with a blown dropped pass call).  Bills should have won going away with Keenum mopping up most of the fourth quarter. 

On to Cleveland....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:For all the talk about these gut wrenching plays -- the thing that I have not seen anyone talk about, which definitely was ALL on the coaching staff, was the next-to-last offensive series in regulation.

Recall that after the endzone TD, the Vikings had just scored a TD -- and missed the ensuing extra point to make it a 4-point game with about 4 minutes to go. The object for the Bills' offense there should have been to go into a "4-minute offense" and try to drain the clock without ever giving the ball back to the Vikings -- or  at least drain enough clock so that they get the ball back with no timeouts and minimal time left on the clock.

What do the Bills do? They go into shotgun, and throw three straight passes -- two of which were low percentage plays that fell incomplete. Only about a minute came off the clock, and the play-calls and poor execution (with a drop by Diggs and a penalty mixed in) actually served to aid the Vikings!

Exactly. On that drive they should have come out with two backs and one or two tight ends, and run it down their throats. Two or three first downs and we win, nice and easy. Maybe one play action to convert a first. Ugh. You can tell Dorsey was a QB.

54 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Diggs dropped one too yesterday as did Davis last week. It happens. They make up for it by making other great plays. Pretty sure both Diggs and Knox had one handed grabs this week and Davis had a solid game

Yeah an uncharacteristic drop for Diggs on the 3rd and 15 with 4 minutes left which may have allowed us to run the clock out.  a lot of reasons why we lost

10 hours ago, TheWei44 said:

That's a great point that will go largely unnoticed given all the eye-popping crap that happened yesterday.  On multiple occasions in the first half, I thought to myself, wow, these receivers are making amazing catches!  They were making Josh look better than he was - But, throughout the first half, I was generally thinking the Bills are back to their usual good form on offense.

So did i. That one hander by Diggs surely would’ve been a pick. I thought ok but the offense is clicking. Josh is working out some kinks and the wrs are making plays. 

Edited by AlfaBill

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think Allen believed Davis was going to cross the face of the defender, but instead he tried to go deeper, meaning Peterson was the only player there when Allen threw it.

Watching the endzone replay,  I think that's exactly what happened.  At this point, I don't have an issue with the decision anymore.  It's a tight throw,  but Davis has a step on the defender initially as he breaks his route inside.  I just don't think Allen expected him to drift into the endzone. 

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

It made sense based off his upward trajectory through last season.  I would argue that Dorsey isn't using him like he should and it's on him.  Knox actually had a decent game and helped when it mattered, making it even more frustrating that we don't use him more often

In my opinion, during a game, coaches have so much on their plate that an offensive player not getting enough touches is understandable.  They go with the flow of the game and, with the play clock, have to make split second decisions.  The QB also has to make quick decisions so not spreading the passes out to all the receivers can easily happen.

Others have noted that Knox has been used for pass protection a lot when the O-line is struggling with the pass rush.  

Still, they did remember to use Knox on the FG drive at the end of regulation as Diggs was likely tightly covered.  Knox seemed to be left alone on those plays.

I read Peter King’s FMIA this morning and he had some interesting comments from a post-game interview with Jeff Saturday.   Saturdaty told him he couldn’t believe how quickly the quarters seemed to go bye as opposed to when he was a player.  He said the game seemed very long as a player, while yesterday he’d look up at the clock and be surprised that a Qtr was just about over.

1. Both interceptions were awful and the receivers were nowhere near open.

2. Would've liked to see more Motor, Hines & Marlowe....and less Lewis.

3. Pass rush never touched Cousins till the 4th.  Why not anticipate Jefferson seeing a ton of targets and double his ass?

4. The long td run by Cook was bound to happen. We've seen that movie before.

5. Yes, Josh has to stop trying to press and be 99% of the offense,  even though his coaches and gameplanning would disagree. This is not sustainable nor is it intelligent. Josh might be playing like a rookie because his OC is a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.