Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I heard that from Sal this am too. It certainly seems like it is a mental hurdle for him. 

I don't see Diggs as cancerous, I see him as a very, very passionate player. I don't think Edmunds or Oliver would dog it, but I could see Poyer betting on a big raise this offseason and trying to stay healthy and trying to show his worth to the team. 

I think OBJ would be enough to give everyone a big kick in the ass the right way at this point where we are this year

Unfortunately Mother Nature decided to give us the worst weather possible since the OBJ "rather play in warm weather climate" statement.  

Snowy mix against Minnesota and a blizzard this weekend... I'm sure he knows what the weather is like in Buffalo, but we definitely reminded him. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, london_bills said:

The sabres have been struggling for a few years though, more likely to get a meddling owner 

Pegula is directly responsible for a bunch of bad decisions for the Sabres. Forcing out Latontaine, Ville Leino’s signing and contract which I think him and Hodgson still count against their cap, Firing Ted Black, never hired a real hockey guy for team president, refusing to bring in a consultant to help mentor the greenest of the green gms and coaches he’s been hiring. Until moving their pet, Adams, into the gm position they have been a mess.

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

the tre being healthy thing is interesting. WGR had a good point this morning that this was the first real time he's been away from football and missed time - which i don't think is accurate because i thought he tore his knee already once. still, could see him not ready to play yet.

The ACL is his first major injury as a Pro or college player

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Honestly... you shouldnt talk about things that you cant talk about.  Saying things like "there is internal conflict with the team" but not being able to talk about what that is, is kind of horseshit.  All it does is create rumors about what that can be and all that does is create conflict with Bills fans arguing about it. Rumors then end up being some kind of fact.  If you cant talk about something then dont say anything at all.  There is zero reason to say anything.

If you have a story then break it.  Otherwise just stop.

Be assured the Bills themselves could care less about this, and if they are aware of it are probably laughing about it in the locker room...just like the "Bickering Bills" were.  Comes off as media people who likely never played sports at any level that have no idea what actually goes on in a locker room thinking something is weird or out of line, when it's normal.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Unfortunately Mother Nature decided to give us the worst weather possible since the OBJ "rather play in warm weather climate" statement.  

Snowy mix against Minnesota and a blizzard this weekend... I'm sure he knows what the weather is like in Buffalo, but we definitely reminded him. 

Not a blizzard.  A Lake effect Snow event.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

No. The Vax stuff never tore the team apart. But it almost did, contributing heavily to the mid-season slump last year until Josh Allen finally put his foot down.

As for what I hinted at, there was one more hint this week on it. ... Still working on getting to the bottom of it.

I'm not mad, except for the fact I'm wasting my time responding to, checks name, really, leGoatski.

sigh.

Just following my instincts and what people tell me, to get to the truth. You're the one speculating on what I know and don't.

jw

With the exception of 2018 when the Bills fielded one of the worst offenses in the NFL's SB era in the first half of the season.........they have had a midseason slump every year under McDermott.

Not sure how you determined that the vax issue contributed "heavily" to poor play on the field.   Seems hard to quantify that.  The game Beasley and Davis actually missed because they weren't vaxed the team eviscerated the Patriots in Foxboro.   

A month+ lack of focus/intensity every season has been the norm.    That should be the story.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With the exception of 2018 when the Bills fielded one of the worst offenses in the NFL's SB era in the first half of the season.........they have had a midseason slump every year under McDermott.

Not sure how you determined that the vax issue contributed "heavily" to poor play on the field.   Seems hard to quantify that.  The game Beasley and Davis actually missed because they weren't vaxed the team eviscerated the Patriots in Foxboro.   

A month+ lack of focus/intensity every season has been the norm.    That should be the story.   

Agree...it's almost like the Bills get bored with other teams and stop preparing hard for them.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the main issue everyone needs to examine is why this team seems to fade midseason every year under McDermott (not including the 2018 rebuilding year)

2017 - Started 5-2, finished 9-7. Obviously this was also technically a 'rebuilding' year but we know how it ended with them overachieving early and backing into the playoffs on the arm of Andy Dalton 4th and 18 play by the Bengals late in the 4th quarter and ending the 17 year drought. Midseason was mired by 3 straight horrible blowout losses culminating in the Peterman/Chargers debable before the bleeding stopped.

2019 - Started 6-2, finished 10-6.  Team was actually 5-1 before losing 2 of 3. Got a little hot again culminating in the infamous win in Dallas on Thanksgiving then lost 3 of 4 (and 4 of 5 overall including Texans playoff game).

2020 - Started 6-2, finished 13-3. Obviously this teams regular season high point thus far under McD/Allen. But it was the weird covid year and they did lose the two straight midseason against Chiefs/Titans. Also weren't that strong overall and barely beat the Jets and Pats in that stretch as well. Late season 6 game win streak was mostly against bad teams including a fading Steelers team whose 11-0 start was a mirage.

2021 - Started 4-1, finished 11-6 including going 3-5 over 2 month stretch. This season is most relevant not only because it's just last year, but they seamed to peak after winning in KC in week 5 and we appear to be going down a similar path this year after winning in KC in week 6. Did finish 4-0 but against bad teams and a fading NE team when their rookie QB hit a wall.

Bottom line, this all comes back to coaching and being able to keep a team ready and focuses for the rigors of a 17 week NFL season. Yes every team has bad games and nobody is every going undefeated again (which the Eagles also just found out), but at some point you have to be ready and pull out games you probably should lose which is what Mahomes and the Chiefs have done and Allen and the Bills have not.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Agree...it's almost like the Bills get bored with other teams and stop preparing hard for them.

There is a weak link in "The Process".    I'm not anti-McDermott but there has to be a solution to this and it's crazy that this is year 6 of the regime and it still happens every time.

What's the common denominator?   I don't know but maybe run defense is the surest sign of a lack of focus.   Run defense is probably the job that requires the most effort and technique to execute properly.   Winning and losing isn't about run defense anymore but if the team isn't in the right frame of mind that's probably where you will see it first.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a weak link in "The Process".    I'm not anti-McDermott but there has to be a solution to this and it's crazy that this is year 6 of the regime and it still happens every time.

What's the common denominator?   I don't know but maybe run defense is the surest sign of a lack of focus.   Run defense is probably the job that requires the most effort and technique to execute properly.   Winning and losing isn't about run defense anymore but if the team isn't in the right frame of mind that's probably where you will see it first.

But...this is the same issue that has faced the last 3 team that won the SB so it isn't just the Bills...all around the same 5-6 week timeframe during the season...

KC lost 4 of 6 to go to 6-4, TB 3 of 4 to go to 7-5 and Rams 3 straight to go to 7-4. All happened between weeks 10-12.  Must be something from a mentality standpoint where it is hard to keep getting up as much as the other team that views you as their super bowl type game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Maybe the hint was in McDermott's assessment of the Tre saga.

We need to know what TF is going on with that situation... something is not right. There is something mental going on with Tre and they aren't talking about it... they activated him 2 weeks ago and he's still not playing, so there you go.

• Agree 1

another possible scenario... 

Maybe Poyer is thinking out loud and has a few friends who share his observations.

Here he is with a busted ribs, cracked bones sticking out of his collapsed lung, an elbow that looks like a broken drinking glass with his forearm hanging on by a few strips of flesh, driving himself to games so he can still play and be there for the team...

All that and "sorry man, there's no money for you" 

Meanwhile, Tre (who got big time $$) is totally healthy but has "mental hurdles." MENTAL F-ing HURDLES! 

I could see that being an issue. Not saying it is, but I wouldn't be shocked. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Maybe Poyer is thinking out loud and has a few friends who share his observations.

Here he is with a busted ribs, cracked bones sticking out of his collapsed lung, an elbow that looks like a broken drinking glass with his forearm hanging on by a few strips of flesh, driving himself to games so he can still play and be there for the team...

Meanwhile, Tre (who got big time $$) is totally healthy but has "mental hurdles." MENTAL F-ing HURDLES! 

Pretty common actually.  Almost all players talk about this that it's more mental at this stage than physical. Tre probably is frustrated he cannot do some things the way he used to, but also doesn't want to hear that it will take time for that to come back.

Edited by Big Turk

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it's McDermott's general demeanor. 

He is like Doug Marrone in this way. He knows it all, he's seen everything before, he's done it all, and he comes off as no nonsense and strict. 

By all accounts the team is close, Von Miller talked about how the Bills are unlike any team he's been around. So it comes down to winning, and 13-seconds probably put a crack in the foundation. And losses like Sunday just get people grumbling. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think that’s a very logical guess. Edmunds makes sense in that regard too (though he hasn’t gone through what Poyer has).  He is looking for his payday and hasn’t gotten it while others have. 

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But...this is the same issue that has faced the last 3 team that won the SB so it isn't just the Bills...all around the same 5-6 week timeframe during the season...

KC lost 4 of 6 to go to 6-4, TB 3 of 4 to go to 7-5 and Rams 3 straight to go to 7-4. All happened between weeks 10-12.  Must be something from a mentality standpoint where it is hard to keep getting up as much as the other team that views you as their super bowl type game.

That's the reason not to panic but those teams aren't really apples to apples comparisons to the Bills in some key regards.

KC has hosted the AFCCG 4 straight years now......including the season prior to winning the SB.........they have proven to be more consistent than Buffalo.

Tom Brady had already won 6 SB's and reached the SB by winning on the road before.

The Rams HC had lead his team to a SB appearance on the road before last year as well.

The Bills HC nor QB have even won a road game in the playoffs let alone reached a Super Bowl.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The lack of focus is evident on the diggs false start, I can't use Dawkins holding against the jets (it wasn't) but it is all the mental blips that happen. Cam Lewis going for a pick instead of swatting it down. The lack of focus shows when you can look at some film clips and see poorly timed, poor decision making and even the predictably of what we are running on offense as far as plays go. It feels like this even effects the offensive coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think it's McDermott's general demeanor. 

He is like Doug Marrone in this way. He knows it all, he's seen everything before, he's done it all, and he comes off as no nonsense and strict. 

By all accounts the team is close, Von Miller talked about how the Bills are unlike any team he's been around. So it comes down to winning, and 13-seconds probably put a crack in the foundation. And losses like Sunday just get people grumbling. 

Like I said.........I don't know what the common denominator that causes this each season is..........but that's as reasonable of a guess as any IMO.

As for Allen recently.........he's been looking like a guy whose head has been elsewhere since the bye so the barstool speculation has included perhaps Allen got some unwanted or bad news during the bye.   I will do my best JW and leave it at that. ;)

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

so as we grasp at straws and the thoughts i am having with john's most recent update: i think of how players discuss teammates. there is praise for some we consider weak links (singleterry and edmunds). there isn't much silence on any specific positions and there is no glaring missing void - but somehow i keep looking at the hyde & poyer duo for some reason. a hunch? a guess? a nothingburger?