Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

On 11/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, McBean said:

Let’s hope those internal issues are Brandon Beane finally realizing that Sean McDermott is Doug Collins. I hope Beane takes a look at the 7-2 New York Giants, with way less talent, and realizes what the real problem is. 

Do the right thing Beane and hire a bright offensive minded HC, or we’re going to waste a generational talent in Josh Allen.

Doesnt even have to be an offensive minded HC, just a good game coach with a grasp of time management, how to communicate with your players between plays, manage down and distances properly etc.

Sean is a great leader and person, which makes it tempting to overlook his lack of technical competence.  But we get outcoached just about every week, win or lose, and especially vs guys like Andy Reid its not even a fair fight for poor Sean.

The only way he could maybe stay is a new take-charge DC that runs the entire game, timeouts included on his side of the ball, and delegate the same thing to the OC staff on their side of the ball.   It worked for Marv.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Probably the best run of his career. Grats. You found 1 really good run and dismissed the 999 crap runs. 

🙄 Here’s more…. 🙄

He’s not the trash RB you’re making him out to be. Dude just isn’t Aaron Jones or Lynch. He’s a solid committee back, and he’s not the problem. The actual issues are Beane’s failure to get top guard talent, and the teams lack of commitment to the running game. Singletary doesn’t have breakaway speed, but he has good agility & shiftiness, contact balance, and leg drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, as someone that followed it closely, Sean Payton was worth 2 wins (minimum) per year. He won a Super Bowl as well (with an onside kick to start the 2nd half). Sean Payton is the greatest offensive coach in the world. He, ABSOLUTELY, elevated that team. I’m not trying to be dismissive but I know the Saints way better than 99.999% of this board. 

I'm the .1% that knows them better. Even @NoSaintagrees. My hottakes on Brees not being a HOF validate it. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Doesnt even have to be an offensive minded HC, just a good game coach with a grasp of time management, how to communicate with your players between plays, manage down and distances properly etc.

Sean is a great leader and person, which makes it tempting to overlook his lack of technical competence.  But we get outcoached just about every week, win or lose, and especially vs guys like Andy Reid its not even a fair fight for poor Sean.

The only way he could maybe stay is a new take-charge DC that runs the entire game, timeouts included on his side of the ball, and delegate the same thing to the OC staff on their side of the ball.   It worked for Marv.

Aw FFS you know outside of 13 seconds we've beat the Chiefs two out of the last three games? Andy Reid can kiss my hairy ass.

Edited by beerme1

2 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Aw FFS you know outside of 13 seconds we've beat the Chiefs two out of the last three games? Andy Reid can kiss my hairy ass.

Reid is doing well in KC because he has two very experienced and seasoned coordinators. Their coaching lineup looks like it is a mix of Florida golf  buddies and college 5th grad students. 

Bienemy on offense doesn't give up on the run. It's obviously in his blood.

Steve spagnola is an aggressive play caller who has generally fielded under talented squads and returned good results.

Those two dudes there help keep Reid employed. He struggled with clock and game management a while in Phili. He has got his act together in KC. He can give the small stuff away.

Here in Buffalo we had our best staff last year with Dorsey as QB coach, Matt Stafford BIL Chad someone at WR, then Daboll and Frazier. 

Daboll wasn't afraid of McDermott, clearly.

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a beane/mcdermott thing

Is that the word in London?

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Reid is doing well in KC because he has two very experienced and seasoned coordinators. Their coaching lineup looks like it is a mix of Florida golf  buddies and college 5th grad students. 

Bienemy on offense doesn't give up on the run. It's obviously in his blood.

Steve spagnola is an aggressive play caller who has generally fielded under talented squads and returned good results.

Those two dudes there help keep Reid employed. He struggled with clock and game management a while in Phili. He has got his act together in KC. He can give the small stuff away.

Here in Buffalo we had our best staff last year with Dorsey as QB coach, Matt Stafford BIL Chad someone at WR, then Daboll and Frazier. 

Daboll wasn't afraid of McDermott, clearly.

Sleeping with Bienemy...

Never gets old...

By the way.. there has been some drama between Him and Mahomes in the past ( Like September ) ... it gets forgotten when they are winning though..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

No - because 63% of Allen’s dropbacks don’t end in a sack or incompletion.

He’s throwing what? 67% for the year? That means there is only a “stuff” (to compare it to the run game) on 33% or so of his pass attempts.

Compare that to being stuffed in the run game 63% of the time in the second half.

What is more appealing to you - succeeding 67% of the time or failing 63% of the time?

You mentioned 3rd and 1. Do you know Singletaries yards per carry on 3rd and 3 or less for the season? 0.7 yards per carry. Less than 1 yard per carry. 

When you include 2nd AND 3rd down with 3 or less yards to go, his ypc is 1.9 ypc.

We are simply not a good running team you. You can call run plays until the cows come home and that’s not going to change.

Josh was 52.9% for the Jets game and 52% for the GB game.  Josh was 54% in the second half of the Vikes game which includes 2 sacks for a 20 yard loss, a fumble for 7 points for the other team and an interception.  The run game works when you run the football.  Sometimes it gets stopped.  It gets stopped for every team in the league.  Other teams dont just give up because it doesnt always get stopped.  You can cite 5 plays that got stopped.  I can site 11 more that didnt.  Using your garbage cherry picked statistics does not change the fact that the Bills need to run the football.  The OC needs to not only get creative with ways to do it but find a flow in the game that works.  Running on first down every time and short yardage everytime isnt mixing it up.  Might as well just tell the defense what you are doing... oh wait, thats what they did.

Im not saying we should turn into Martyball here but they need to stop being one dimensional.  Dorsey's play design has also been figured out based off just formations so this OC is doing a doubly terrible job.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Josh was 52.9% for the Jets game and 52% for the GB game.  Josh was 54% in the second half of the Vikes game which includes 2 sacks for a 20 yard loss, a fumble for 7 points for the other team and an interception.  

Even those numbers are better odds than running. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this. The Bills could run 50 times per game and they wouldn’t be any better at it. 

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this. The Bills could run 50 times per game and they wouldn’t be any better at it. 

Yes I agree to disagree.  You just dont get it.  When a defense can T-off based on formation and situation, it makes it a lot easier to defend.  Dorsey is doing a bad job.  I gave you a perfect example earlier when I said they got stuffed on the run on first down but then on second down they went right back to the run.  The run put us in 3rd and short.  Our first TD was from a 22 yard pass followed by a *gasp* 22 yard run.  The run was then stuffed and they *gasp* ran again for a TD.

If you give up on the run just because a couple carries got stuffed then you are one dimensional already.  Our offense is already figured out by formation so now they are barely even one dimensional.  Its too easy for a defense to defend when they know what you are going to do.  Its too hard on Josh to over come that.  Even the Chiefs run the football.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:14 AM, boyst said:

he's not wrong. like ever. after having many good conversations with him - he does not BS. he knows the team. he knows the players . and his takes are usually on point.

he cannot discuss certain things due to two reasons:

1) he does not want to jeopardize his relationships

2) he works for the AP not the NYT or WAPO so he can't just BS a headline and write his own narrative. he has integrity with what he writes.

if wawrow is writing it down than it is so.

My communications with him after his 3:00am posts have been rather interesting and his extreme politics seem to guide his opinions. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

🙄 Here’s more…. 🙄

He’s not the trash RB you’re making him out to be. Dude just isn’t Aaron Jones or Lynch. He’s a solid committee back, and he’s not the problem. The actual issues are Beane’s failure to get top guard talent, and the teams lack of commitment to the running game. Singletary doesn’t have breakaway speed, but he has good agility & shiftiness, contact balance, and leg drive. 

Yeah, I don’t need to watch a seasons worth of his best plays. Every single player that’s ever played in the NFL in the last 10+ year has had a highlight video of them at some point in their career. Zach Moss probably has some too but we all agree he sucked. 

im not saying the OL couldn’t be better. And I agree that with a better OL, he could definitely be more serviceable. But he’s just not good. And the fact is we DONT have a better OL. And in return we get a RB that’s averaged 744 yards rushing each year of his career. And if you do the math, he’s on pace for exactly 744 yards this season as well. It’s just not good. 

36 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah, I don’t need to watch a seasons worth of his best plays. Every single player that’s ever played in the NFL in the last 10+ year has had a highlight video of them at some point in their career. Zach Moss probably has some too but we all agree he sucked. 

im not saying the OL couldn’t be better. And I agree that with a better OL, he could definitely be more serviceable. But he’s just not good. And the fact is we DONT have a better OL. And in return we get a RB that’s averaged 744 yards rushing each year of his career. And if you do the math, he’s on pace for exactly 744 yards this season as well. It’s just not good. 

Total yards? Janky attempt at a statistical proof. If you use Singletary’s carry average per carry and Mixon’s attempt number that yardage goes up to 1,343 yards (130 more than Mixon). Which would go towards my point that Singletary is fine, and possibly underutilized with our entire run game. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

That's not the point. Refusing to abandon the run keeps the defense honest. It helps the passing game. 

But when they know the Bills are passing every play it gives the defense the advantage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes. They have issues. We call these issues "injuries". Both starting probowl safeties, our 1st round CB and an all pro CB all riding the pine. Last year's #1 pick at DE who's having a breakout season also unavailable. There's 5 big issues right there. It's one thing to have a couple guys nursing bumps and bruises, but that's a devastating injury toll that would sidetrack ANY team. Even the other guys that came back probably aren't 100%. What's the mystery here?

• Dislike 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:03 AM, Dan Darragh said:

I'd like to know what Pam Oliver was talking about before the game, that Sean says that he couldn't really answer the question about what went into the decision to start Josh, "that would be unfair" and "the matter is complicated." Then she was quoting anonymous sources about how Josh looked in Friday practice.  What's going on here?

Does someone have the exact quote and context to the Pam Oliver interview?  I remember hearing the “unfair” comment, and thinking that McD was referencing our poor OL play without specifically calling that unit out.

On the broader topic of tension within the team, I have to think part of it is McD being pissed at Dorsey for abandoning the run starting at 2nd and 2 in the 4th, followed by the following three and out where the drive started with 4:34 left in the game.  Two of the passes on the three and out were incompletions, and Minnesota had the ball back 1:08 later at 3:26.  The Bills keep the clock moving there, and Minnesota doesn’t get the ball back until at least 2:45, maybe later if they hold off on using their last timeout.  Run on the 2nd and 2 (or 3rd or 4th), and once again you at least keep the clock moving, and maybe get a first down.

On top of potential tension there, I’m sure there’s lot of other resentment brewing amongst everyone, and who to “blame” (just like on TBD).  As Shakespeare once said, “Expectation is the root of all heartache”.  Right now, the Bills are not playing up to expectations, and everyone is at each other’s throats.  Get back to winning, and that will solve everything.

Edited by strive_for_five_guy

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Total yards? Janky attempt at a statistical proof. If you use Singletary’s carry average per carry and Mixon’s attempt number that yardage goes up to 1,343 yards (130 more than Mixon). Which would go towards my point that Singletary is fine, and possibly underutilized with our entire run game. 

Facts are he’s never cracked 1k yards. Not even close. And we play in 17 games now. You want to make an argument that he would be well over that if we gave him the ball more that’s fine. My argument would be that if he was actually any good, he would get more chances. Fact is he isn’t very good and hasn’t proved why he should get the ball more. He’s 4 years into a career here. Time to start admitting what he is. 

• Disagree 1

Since we all get to guess since he didn't really say anything...

My guess is there are some coaches and/or players upset with Tre and it is something mental holding him out and that isnt sitting well others!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it,.until something concrete is said by JW