Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

14 minutes ago, muppy said:

Touche' 🙂

I actually agree that social media is the last place he should be spending his time. In retrospect that piece was likely more meant for the fanbase and not him. 

Words of encouragement are never a bad thing, regardless of the forum. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Why they no longer run QB Power inside the 10 yard line is mind boggling to me...so many Allen TD's/FD's with that play when Daboll was here. He usually is untouched and either scores or goes OOB with a first down.

He was questionable with an injured elbow. There's no way they are calling designed QB runs in that game.

Just now, Southern Bills Fan said:

He was questionable with an injured elbow. There's no way they are calling designed QB runs in that game.

I'm talking about in general under Dorsey...I can only remember a few times they actually have called it.

42 minutes ago, boyst said:

he's a fan, too. and maybe having the players at his ear and maybe his frustration caused him to open the vent a little bit to air something we don't know. maybe he did it because he was bored, maybe wanted to spur change, maybe he was drunk and sad that McDermott didn't compliment his new sport coat.... i don't know but i do know that it wasn't on accident.

Stirring the ***** because he’s bored or hurt in his feels does not seem like a very high journalistic standard

45 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not a fan of Warwow for many reasons, but the guy absolutely does not push narratives and rumors...i trust what he is saying to be truth. He may not always be first, but he is always accurate.

I agree with this.  He is well connected with the franchise, certainly going back to the days when Ralph owned the team.  His pieces are usually spot on.

That said, this style of report-by-tweet is the kind of click-bait that I thought was beneath him.  If there's something to report, then report on it and don't just let half of a story hang out there while people hit F5 waiting for the follow-up with additional details.  Perhaps it drives engagement numbers for his work, but it's frustrating as hell for the reader and it just leaves you unsatisfied as a reader.  Where is the discontent?  Is it between players?  Coaches and players?  Offense vs defense?  Allen vs everyone else?  The Pegulas vs McD and Beane?

Reading between the lines, it would seem he knows what is going on -- but for whatever reason, he's choosing not to share it.  If this is indeed as major as the Beasley vax situation, isn't it his job to report on this?  What's the point of being well connected if he just keeps all the info to himself?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Why does it matter how many scores we are up with 10 minutes left in the 4th? This is what I mean. We're trying to win the game 10 minutes early. There's no need for it. If we go up by 13 there we are likely one FG drive away from icing the game no matter what the Vikings do on their next possession. You trust your offense to get one more FG drive and your defense to not allow 3 scoring drives with 10 minutes left in the game. By failing to take the points we changed the math. Now the Vikings only needed to score twice even if we kicked a FG, and that is exactly what happened.

So you trust the offence to move how many yards to get another a FG, but not 2 on one play? I would love to see your reaction to all the successful 4th down plays. And the math at 13 can actually be worse than at 7. At 13, you are giving the other team an extra play on every drive within if once they get in FG range as they HAVE to go for the TD, and 10 almost every coach in the league will play conservative and make sure to extend the game and not go for it on 4th and short. 

Analytics are not 100%, its about playing the percentages. The percentages there say make it 3 scores game is prolly over, miss and pin them deep to eat more clock on next drive and if a miss you can play to their tendencies more based on score effects. 

Again, execution and result  does not mean decision was wrong.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I agree with this.  He is well connected with the franchise, certainly going back to the days when Ralph owned the team.  His pieces are usually spot on.

That said, this style of report-by-tweet is the kind of click-bait that I thought was beneath him.  If there's something to report, then report on it and don't just let half of a story hang out there while people hit F5 waiting for the follow-up with additional details.  Perhaps it drives engagement numbers for his work, but it's frustrating as hell for the reader and it just leaves you unsatisfied as a reader.  Where is the discontent?  Is it between players?  Coaches and players?  Offense vs defense?  Allen vs everyone else?  The Pegulas vs McD and Beane?

Reading between the lines, it would seem he knows what is going on -- but for whatever reason, he's choosing not to share it.  If this is indeed as major as the Beasley vax situation, isn't it his job to report on this?  What's the point of being well connected if he just keeps all the info to himself?

I heard rumblings of internal problems at AP w Warwow. 

but i can't give any info. 🙄

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, boyst said:

he's a fan, too. and maybe having the players at his ear and maybe his frustration caused him to open the vent a little bit to air something we don't know. maybe he did it because he was bored, maybe wanted to spur change, maybe he was drunk and sad that McDermott didn't compliment his new sport coat.... i don't know but i do know that it wasn't on accident.

New sport coat?  That is funny.  Did you ever see Wawrow?   He is a disheveled guy.  Doubt he owns a sports coat. 

He probably does know something's that would surprise us, but his twitter stunt is just looking for more clicks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

So you trust the offence to move how many yards to get another a FG, but not 2 on one play?

Sure. We have been awful in short yardage situations. We had mostly been moving the ball just fine against the Vikings. In general this year our offense is able to move the ball right until they reach the red zone and then they get stymied. I almost always believe in taking the points until it becomes obvious that you have to go for it. Keep the game in front of you.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Respecting the people you are connected with keeps you well connected. He probably said all he could at this time without damaging some of those relationships. He gave us what he could when he could. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Every team has these things going on if you really want to go on a fishing expedition.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I also find some posters in this thread amusing claiming jw of creating clickbait. Clickbait to what exactly? There is no story to click on to drive numbers to his AP story.

I'll answer this. I thought of the term clickbait when reading his tweet because it has "baited" the diehards if the fanbase (aka 2bd posters) to react with conjecture of their own. Its baiting fans to care enough to reply to HIS conjecture. I mean Mr Wawrow does appear to be highly thought of in general. And posting what he did invites speculation. Scandal sells?

We all do love our speculation right? without it this board wouldnt be nearly as fun or informative. or even sometimes frustrating.

31 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

New sport coat?  That is funny.  Did you ever see Wawrow?   He is a disheveled guy.  Doubt he owns a sports coat. 

He probably does know something's that would surprise us, but his twitter stunt is just looking for more clicks. 

uh, he wears a coat to all games.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Respecting the people you are connected with keeps you well connected. He probably said all he could at this time without damaging some of those relationships. He gave us what he could when he could. 

See, this is the issue I take with it though.  If this is all he could say... then just don't say anything until you can report on the complete story.

Yes, this is a fine line to walk at times, but I think in this particular case, after two brutal losses and with a disgruntled fanbase ready with pitchforks and torches, the decision to leak this tidbit feels more about clicks and getting people to talk about what he knows and less about reporting on the franchise.

I mean - this thread is exhibit A.  We're now at 28 pages speculating on what this could be.  It puts the team in an odd position where any journalist worth their salt should be asking McD about this at his next press conference.  Wawrow has enough credibility that there's very likely some truth to this so now either McD has to deny it (which probably is misleading at best and an outright lie at worst), sidestep the question, or very unlikely, address it head on.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

See, this is the issue I take with it though.  If this is all he could say... then just don't say anything until you can report on the complete story.

Yes, this is a fine line to walk at times, but I think in this particular case, after two brutal losses and with a disgruntled fanbase ready with pitchforks and torches, the decision to leak this tidbit feels more about clicks and getting people to talk about what he knows and less about reporting on the franchise.

I mean - this thread is exhibit A.  We're now at 28 pages speculating on what this could be.  It puts the team in an odd position where any journalist worth their salt should be asking McD about this at his next press conference.  Wawrow has enough credibility that there's very likely some truth to this so now either McD has to deny it (which probably is misleading at best and an outright lie at worst), sidestep the question, or very unlikely, address it head on.

McDermott only needs to address these problems to the team. I don't think he can own a mistake. I don't think he will, either. 

• Agree 1

28 pages about a personal thought, observation, opinion.  

Literally nothing he said remotely suggests there is an issue.  He, as a journalist, stated their are internal issues because we lost 2 games where we beat ourselves.  Things we need to solve because its been self inflicted.  

Literally nothing he said reads as if there is an unreported, but yet known, issue of some internal drama.  Further proof of that would be that he would have written more specifically about that because nothing else he wrote would get the attention and clicks talking about internal drama would have gotten.  

You guys are just trying to force a story here off someones off the cuff comment.  This is the problem with society today, they manufacture stories to fit narratives they want to see.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

McDermott only needs to address these problems to the team. I don't think he can own a mistake. I don't think he will, either. 

We're on season six and his streak of not owning mistakes is alive and well.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

In case you didn't take note,  Singletary fumbled the ball and there was a fumbled center-QB exchange which neither McDermott nor Dorsey pinned on Josh (I think it was on Josh, and Josh put it on himself).

When there are 4 turnovers and 2 are not (or not necessarily) on our QB, I don't understand your interpretation that saying we can't turn the ball over 4 times and win = throwing the QB under the bus.

That said, the turnovers, especially the last 2 vs the Vikes and the 2 4Q vs the Jets, are the biggest contributing factors to those 2 losses.  It's a problem that has to get fixed somehow to return to winning.   If McD shrunk from acknowledging that, people would be rightfully calling him out for white-washing the problem.

3 are on Josh,  I posted the video in this thread,  Josh was trying to run before the ball was even snapped to him.  So 3 are on him...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Given the state of our secondary, I disagree.  The reality is that none of this would have occurred had Cam Lewis simply knocked the ball down on 4th and 18.  Biggest blunder of the game.  Maybe the season. 

A very fair point.  

It's still early in the season 😆 

• Haha (+1) 2