Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What gets me about how McDermott let this game slip away is that he did it being overly aggressive. Remember when the narrative was that McDermott was too conservative? Well we lost this game because we went for it on 4th and 2 and refused to run the ball while up 2-3 scores. I don't understand where this new disposition of his came from. Did the Rams and Titans blowouts skew his understanding of how most NFL games are won?

McDermott likes to say after losses that he trusts his players. But he can't let them run the show. I'm sure Allen and the offense want to go for it on every 4th down and always play aggressive. McDermott needs to put the leash back on them. It isnt just an Allen problem. The whole identity of this offense right now is "killshot." The Chiefs had a similar problem last year in their mid-season slump, to the point that many Chiefs fans welcomed the Tyreek Hill trade because it would force the offense to play with more patience.

I trust that McDermott will get it fixed. We've always played our best ball in December under him.

The 4th and 2 decision to go for it wasn't a bad one. The win probability of going for it vs taking the FG was a <1% difference. Imagine the uproar here if we take the FG and the Vikings go on to score 2 TDs and win by 1. 

The few play calls leading up to that 4th down were concerning, as was our disappearing run game in the 2nd half.  

I'm not sure how much of that is on the offense play-calling being aggressive, or how much of it is because we CAN'T run the ball as our O-Line is TERRIBLE. 

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can distinctly remember a Chiefs playoff loss where Tony Dungy opined on national TV, "the Chiefs may win a Superbowl, but they won't do it with Andy Reid as their coach" 

Not 100% sure when, it was before Mahomes.  Maybe 2016.

Everything you say may be true, and you may be correct to absolve Wawrow of self-importance or rumor-mongoring, but it doesn't change the question "what is his purpose in throwing this one out there?"

? what is it?

he's a fan, too. and maybe having the players at his ear and maybe his frustration caused him to open the vent a little bit to air something we don't know. maybe he did it because he was bored, maybe wanted to spur change, maybe he was drunk and sad that McDermott didn't compliment his new sport coat.... i don't know but i do know that it wasn't on accident.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

he's a fan, too. and maybe having the players at his ear and maybe his frustration caused him to open the vent a little bit to air something we don't know. maybe he did it because he was bored, maybe wanted to spur change, maybe he was drunk and sad that McDermott didn't compliment his new sport coat.... i don't know but i do know that it wasn't on accident.

I am not a fan of Warwow for many reasons, but the guy absolutely does not push narratives and rumors...i trust what he is saying to be truth. He may not always be first, but he is always accurate.

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What gets me about how McDermott let this game slip away is that he did it being overly aggressive. Remember when the narrative was that McDermott was too conservative? Well we lost this game because we went for it on 4th and 2 and refused to run the ball while up 2-3 scores. I don't understand where this new disposition of his came from. Did the Rams and Titans blowouts skew his understanding of how most NFL games are won?

McDermott likes to say after losses that he trusts his players. But he can't let them run the show. I'm sure Allen and the offense want to go for it on every 4th down and always play aggressive. McDermott needs to put the leash back on them. It isnt just an Allen problem. The whole identity of this offense right now is "killshot." The Chiefs had a similar problem last year in their mid-season slump, to the point that many Chiefs fans welcomed the Tyreek Hill trade because it would force the offense to play with more patience.

I trust that McDermott will get it fixed. We've always played our best ball in December under him.

I really think McD was right about that.  The FG would have put us up by 13, with the idea being that we wouldn’t allow them two touchdowns.  Which, of course, we did.  I get the sequencing is such that we would have had the chance at the FG at the end of the game.  Whatever.  It is what it is.  I completely understand what he was thinking given that we didn’t generate too much pressure on Cousins and we were probably afraid to blitz given the lack of quality at safety and the fact that we had trouble corralling Jefferson all day.  It was the right call, maybe the wrong play call, and bad execution. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yes, we now have an experienced HC who should have a much better handle on things. And the roster, by all measures, was superbowl worthy. We dont have time to waste it on coordinators who are not up to the task of the big challenges. Else we will forever keep generating excuses for incomplete seasons. 

Here is an idea for Beane:

- Bring in Reich to supplement the offensive staff. Give him whatever title he wants but his role should be to define the game plans, whisper in Allen's ear and be the calming voice when the opposing D is having their way with the O. 

- Give Reich a degree of control over Dorsey and bring back the short/intermediate passing game which focuses on moving the chains methodically

- Start using the pass catching talents of Singletary, Cook, Hines and Johnson

- Sign OBJ as insurance for the playoffs

- Consider (have to see if they are in game shape) evaluating Beasley and Sanders but only on the condition that their talents will be appropriately utilized

Bringing in Riech at mid- season, or anyone else for that matter, would be one of the worst moves ever and could only create problems and confusion.   

Beasley and Sanders?   they are both old and finished.  Why not push for Lofton and Reed, that is just as likely to happen

If Riech ever does come to Buffalo it is for McD's job, not Dorsey's.  

The only thing here that it is not outlandish is OBJ.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

I really think McD was right about that.  The FG would have put us up by 13, with the idea being that we wouldn’t allow them two touchdowns.  Which, of course, we did.  I get the sequencing is such that we would have had the changes at the FG at the end of the game.  Whatever.  It is what it is.  I completely understand what he was thinking given that we didn’t generate too much pressure on Cousins and we were probably afraid to blitz given the lack of quality at safety and the fact that we had trouble corralling Jefferson all day.  It was the right call, maybe the wrong play call, and bad execution. 

We allowed one TD. We gifted them another.

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I really think McD was right about that.  The FG would have put us up by 13, with the idea being that we wouldn’t allow them two touchdowns.  Which, of course, we did.  I get the sequencing is such that we would have had the changes at the FG at the end of the game.  Whatever.  It is what it is.  I completely understand what he was thinking given that we didn’t generate too much pressure on Cousins and we were probably afraid to blitz given the lack of quality at safety and the fact that we had trouble corralling Jefferson all day.  It was the right call, maybe the wrong play call, and bad execution. 

I explained this earlier too. Our offense is bad in the red zone and in short yardage situations. It was totally unnecessary to go for it on a short yardage red zone play. You can't predict how the game will go, you just have to take points while you can. Two FG drives is almost as good as one TD drive. Instead we bet everything on one play. It made no sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

We would have been able to take a safety and them need a TD to win it.

A huge difference if a team needs a TD with 20 secs left instead of a FG.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I explained this earlier too. Our offense is bad in the red zone and in short yardage situations. It was totally unnecessary to go for it on a short yardage red zone play. You can't predict how the game will go, you just have to take points while you can. Two FG drives is almost as good as one TD drive. Instead we bet everything on one play. It made no sense.

it makes perfect sense to go for it there. Go up 3 scores, not two,  playing with a depleted D that just gave up an 81 yard TD run and the other team has the best WR in the league. Plus, at 13 you are forcing other team to go for win, and 10 most will play for tie if they get in a 4th and short situation in Red Zone. 

The execution sucked, only bad thing Josh could do was throw a returnable pick to move LOS from the 7 to at worst the 20. And he did it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Given the state of our secondary, I disagree.  The reality is that none of this would have occurred had Cam Lewis simply knocked the ball down on 4th and 18.  Biggest blunder of the game.  Maybe the season. 

10 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

We would have been able to take a safety and them need a TD to win it.

A huge difference if a team needs a TD with 20 secs left instead of a FG.

A very fair point.  

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The 4th and 2 decision to go for it wasn't a bad one. The win probability of going for it vs taking the FG was a <1% difference. Imagine the uproar here if we take the FG and the Vikings go on to score 2 TDs and win by 1. 

The few play calls leading up to that 4th down were concerning, as was our disappearing run game in the 2nd half.  

I'm not sure how much of that is on the offense play-calling being aggressive, or how much of it is because we CAN'T run the ball as our O-Line is TERRIBLE. 

Fourth and 2, how about calling a play that has receiving options to get either a TD or the first down?     Allen got out of the pocket and there was no one to dump the ball to.   I cannot describe how bad that play call was is in that situation.  

Once we got to 2nd and 2 none of the plays they called worked.  Allen had a few tight window low percentage chances but for the most part the Vikes covered everything.  They blew up the screen on 2nd down and covered the endzone in 3rd and 4th, even though we needed only 2 yard to get more chances.  The book is out on Buffalo.  The Vikes never even considered a run play other than containing Allen behind the line of scrimmage.    The fact they never tried to get the 2 yards and keep the clock moving tell us a lot about them.  Same for the final drive which ended due to a lack of patience on 2nd down.  This is a repeat of the Jets and GB second half.   

The difference since the break is that we are not taking what is given.  Dorsey is calling a garbage game, especially after halftime adjustments.  The stockpiling of RB's made no sense when we did not even try to establish a running game, even when we had a two score lead.   

It appears that we trusted this season to a rookie OC and that may be a mistake.  McD should get more involved with the offense because Dorsey is a bit over his head right now. 

I dread the Cleveland game if we have to play in wind, rain and snow.   

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, Bermuda Triangle said:

If he's taking a Twitter pep talk from a fan to heart, then we're probably already screwed for '22.

Touche' 🙂

I actually agree that social media is the last place he should be spending his time

Edited by muppy

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Why they no longer run QB Power inside the 10 yard line is mind boggling to me...so many Allen TD's/FD's with that play when Daboll was here. He usually is untouched and either scores or goes OOB with a first down.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

it makes perfect sense to go for it there. Go up 3 scores, not two

Why does it matter how many scores we are up with 10 minutes left in the 4th? This is what I mean. We're trying to win the game 10 minutes early. There's no need for it. If we go up by 13 there we are likely one FG drive away from icing the game no matter what the Vikings do on their next possession. You trust your offense to get one more FG drive and your defense to not allow 3 scoring drives with 10 minutes left in the game. By failing to take the points we changed the math. Now the Vikings only needed to score twice even if we kicked a FG, and that is exactly what happened.