Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Does this incredible emotion just get turned off for the playoffs or something?

He was on a heater last postseason, for sure.  And that carried over into this season leading me to believe we were beyond the wild swings and hero ball.

Maybe this is just a little bump in the road.  Josh has shown the ability to attack his flaws and continually improve.  I think he's very self aware and understands his emotions can get the best of him leading to inconsistency.  I've heard him mention that he's a big negative self-talker, which I do not find to be a very effective approach for high performance.

It's probably natural to gain perspective and smooth out emotions as experience is gained.  I see this as the final step in his evolution to QB1 of the league.

Close games loss ratio is waaaaY high. 4 times I yelled pre snap at my tv. I should not be able to see that. 

that is squarely on the HC. HC can’t get them over the hump. He is also responsible for coordinator staff. 
(I wonder what Daboll would say)

McD is a good guy but tick tock tick tock Mr bean 

McD is like the Applebees mgr. a meal that doesn’t poison you at the airport but you’re not taking a date there. 

Edited by Since1981

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I really don't understand what the people who think the QB sneak was a bad call wish we would have called instead.

If you call a pass play, multiple bad things can happen. A holding or intentional grounding call in the end zone results in a safety. A sack results in a safety. You presume that the defense is going to be squatting on the quick routes, so there's a high risk of interception. 

Meanwhile, if you call a run play, you're REALLY playing with fire.

A QB sneak was the right call.

People need to learn to separate a call from the result of the call. Same thing with going for it up 10 instead of kicking the field goal. The DECISION was good. The execution and result that followed were bad, but that doesn't mean the decision was wrong.

Josh was working out of shotgun all game.  The ball was on the two feet line.  Not a great time to attempt a direct hike.  Shotgun snap Josh has full view of formation.  Dial up a smart, safe, clever play

12 hours ago, Greg S said:

My biggest problem with Beane is the OL. Allen covers up for the OL by scrambling and being able to avoid the rush. We have to be one of the worst if not the worst team in short yardage situations.

Need a bigger back with skill.  Moss wasn't good enough.  I like Singletary but too small  

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You assume that Minny "found" Jefferson and didn't just luck out having him fall in their lap.  I have plenty of faith in our front office. They find gems in rounds other that one. Compare the drafts we've had under Beane to any that came before. The Bills are built with players we drafted. Trades and free agency are meant to be the cherry on the sundae and not the way we build a roster. I suggest we all step off the ledge. Big Baller Beane is the best GM this franchise has ever had.

Like Beane alot but Polian was better. 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I said something yesterday about how Allen ought to be listening to Sinatra at halftime too. 🤷‍♂️

Passion is great at most positions, but at QB being dispassionate is equally as important, imo.

Also situational awareness. If you are up two scores later in the 3rd Q and the O wants to put the game away so that Allen can warm the bench, then by all means take a risky shot or two. On the flip side, if the team is trailing by a lot (didn't happen with this D) then the only option is to keep trying for chunk yards.

But due in part to the D, the past few games have been close. That is the time to play real smart and disciplined football. Something Belichick teams did very well during the Brady era. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

This is a very valid take. I KNEW why McDermott was going for the TD. He has confidence in bis team and he showed it.  Step on their throats .  I had both thoughts simultaneously first was take the field goal...2nd was GO For It. We all just have to hope whatever decision occurs works in the Bills favor. I did not expect the Bills would lose the lead as happened

While we were waiting to get the F out of the parking lot and listening to the post game, apparently whomever the lousy Fox announcers were said we should have taken a safety are idiots too FWIW - awful idea...

Back to this though, the play calls were bad. It was 2nd and 2 and we couldn't get it done. After the INT and after he got off the ground, Josh chucked his helmet near the bench.

I'm not sure what changed in the second half, but we couldn't run and then quickly gave up. Now what I'm not sure of is if run plays were called and Josh checked out of them, but we make ourselves one dimensional way too much, especially in the red zone. One thing I picked up on was that Josh looked to be more effective and the WRs were able to get open better when we used motion and in the red zone, I don't recall seeing it much either, pretty easy to defend when you know the team is pass only and they are not making the D players respond to presnap motion. Put a savvy vet like Peterson there, of course he will jump the ball...Both INT's were right in front of us (Section 224), there wasn't much open in the End Zone at all.

The entire stadium gasped when Mackenzie turned in instead of trying to get out of bounds (thankfully he corrected that mistake and got out before someone tackled him)...

Now back to this thread...

@SectionC3says he heard 2nd hand that the offense and D were at each others throats after the 13 seconds (he has been a good poster here for a long time). Where do we go, if that is true? Let's build on it a little bit:

Ty Dunne Article

Sean didn't share what happened with the position coaches, those coaches didn't share anything with the players - it was just goodbye enjoy the offseason. He held a generic We'll grow from the address and that was it.   Our ST coordinator subsequently resigned and went to Jax.  One player said: " You preach accountability but you don't practice it." The players Dunne spoke to said they believe Bass was doing what he was told and through the players own investigation Sean is the one who called for the touchback. Farwell had the entire team ready for the Squib and McD told him to kick it out - that's why half off the STs were like what the hell when we kicked it out.

"After the game Emotions were up in the air, Everybody was angry and upset and Stefon Diggs was having an argument with a defensive player - just saying he was upset with the call and then Jerry Hughes stepped in. There was a big uproar and people were about the throw hands. McDermott comes in and says if you're about to blame anyone for what happened, you should blame him..." From what Dunne says that was the only time he said to blame him, the only time he was accountable to the team. But yet when he talks to the media it was just "lack of execution".

At the time of Dunne's article, the offseason hasn't started. As he says:

"There could be a leadership void on to fill on defense. The player who helped diffuse that locker room skirmish, Hughes,  is described as this unit's rock. One player calls him the most "passionate" and "vocal" player he ever met. Because of his experience, he was one player able to vocalize frustrations to the coaching staff which was appreciated by teammates...There coordinator who helped groom Allen is off to New York"

Let's not forget about the Flores lawsuit:

"Ironically, during their January 11, 2022, text exchange, Mr. McDonnell also suggested that if Mr. Flores were hired as the Giants Head Coach, Brian Daboll might be interested in leaving Buffalo to serve as his Offensive Coordinator (“Heard Daboll isn’t happy with Sean [McDermott] in Buffalo . . . might be able to get of if he doesn’t get a head job. . . thoughts?'”

JW's tweet: "There are some internal issues to contend with, that go beyond the distractions of the vaxxed vs. unvaxxed internal debate that nearly unglued the team last year. At some point ...this team needs to get on the same page as it did during the loss to Tampa Bay a year ago. Or it's going to end up being another empty season."

Where are we now and what divisions and issues still exist?

With the absence of Jerry, who does this now? Is it really Von? Is it Poyer? Outwards to the fans and media, MIller's presser was total optimism and upbeat and he is likely displaying this exuberance to counteract Diggs saying that they "Blinked". 

It certainly reads that parts of the offense vs defense division is still there and there is something that just isn't right within the coaching staff's ranks themselves. We also have to realize that some of these same observations/comments/thoughts are being said thorugh Dunne and jw, league circles know of displeasure between Daboll (offense) and McD (defensive guy). I know everyone here will have their own opinions and want to stick their head in the sand and call out the media, but what if there really is a fire where the smoke is?

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I mean...

"The Bills rushing in the fourth quarter: 66 carries for 207 yards, two touchdowns and 3.1 yards per rush. Take away Allen's rushes and the Bills have rushed just 45 times for 154 yards in the fourth quarter.

Keep in mind that the Bills are often almost always leading in the fourth quarter. Perhaps they should consider throttling down a bit."

Clearly this is what McD wants - but for whatever reason, that's not what Dorsey is calling...

Our RB’s are getting that much better YPC in the 4th at 3.4? I never would have guessed. 

(I know it’s only .3, but Allen has half the attempts which is also a little surprising)

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

While we were waiting to get the F out of the parking lot and listening to the post game, apparently whomever the lousy Fox announcers were said we should have taken a safety are idiots too FWIW - awful idea...

Back to this though, the play calls were bad. It was 2nd and 2 and we couldn't get it done. After the INT and after he got off the ground, Josh chucked his helmet near the bench.

I'm not sure what changed in the second half, but we couldn't run and then quickly gave up. Now what I'm not sure of is if run plays were called and Josh checked out of them, but we make ourselves one dimensional way too much, especially in the red zone. One thing I picked up on was that Josh looked to be more effective and the WRs were able to get open better when we used motion and in the red zone, I don't recall seeing it much either, pretty easy to defend when you know the team is pass only and they are not making the D players respond to presnap motion. Put a savvy vet like Peterson there, of course he will jump the ball...Both INT's were right in front of us (Section 224), there wasn't much open in the End Zone at all.

The entire stadium gasped when Mackenzie turned in instead of trying to get out of bounds (thankfully he corrected that mistake and got out before someone tackled him)...

@SectionC3says he heard 2nd hand that the offense and D were at each others throats after the 13 seconds (he has been a good poster here for a long time). Where do we go, if that is true? Let's build on it a little bit:

Ty Dunne Article

Sean didn't share what happened with the position coaches, those coaches didn't share anything with the players - it was just goodbye enjoy the offseason. He held a generic We'll grow from the address and that was it.   Our ST coordinator subsequently resigned and went to Jax.  One player said: " You preach accountability but you don't practice it." The players Dunne spoke to said they believe Bass was doing what he was told and through the players own investigation Sean is the one who called for the touchback. Farwell had the entire team ready for the Squib and McD told him to kick it out - that's why half off the STs were like what the hell when we kicked it out.

"After the game Emotions were up in the air, Everybody was angry and upset and Stefon Diggs was having an argument with a defensive player - just saying he was upset with the call and then Jerry Hughes stepped in. There was a big uproar and people were about the throw hands. McDermott comes in and says if you're about to blame anyone for what happened, you should blame him..." From what Dunne says that was the only time he said to blame him, the only time he was accountable to the team. But yet when he talks to the media it was just "lack of execution".

"There could be a leadership void on to fill on defense. The player who helped diffuse that locker room skirmish, Hughes,  is described as this unit's rock. One player calls him the most "passionate" and "vocal" player he ever met. Because of his experience, he was one player able to vocalize frustrations to the coaching staff which was appreciated by teammates...There coordinator who helped groom Allen is off to New York"

"Ironically, during their January 11, 2022, text exchange, Mr. McDonnell also suggested that if Mr. Flores were hired as the Giants Head Coach, Brian Daboll might be interested in leaving Buffalo to serve as his Offensive Coordinator (“Heard Daboll isn’t happy with Sean [McDermott] in Buffalo . . . might be able to get of if he doesn’t get a head job. . . thoughts?'”

JW's tweet: "There are some internal issues to contend with, that go beyond the distractions of the vaxxed vs. unvaxxed internal debate that nearly unglued the team last year. At some point ...this team needs to get on the same page as it did during the loss to Tampa Bay a year ago. Or it's going to end up being another empty season."

With the absence of Jerry, who does this now? Is it really Von? Is it Poyer? Outwards to the fans and media, MIller's presser was total optimism and upbeat and he is likely displaying this exuberance to counteract Diggs saying that they "Blinked". 

It certainly reads that parts of the offense vs defense division is still there and there is something that just isn't right within the coaching staff's ranks themselves. We also have to realize that some of these same observations/comments/thoughts are being said thorugh Dunne and jw, league circles know of displeasure between Daboll (offense) and McD (defensive guy). I know everyone here will have their own opinions and want to stick their head in the sand and call out the media, but what if there really is a fire where the smoke is?

This is well put together and cannot be ignored. It draws together everything we know to frame what is going on. This post should be read by all and it is why McDermott is a ***** clown until he proves otherwise.

He double speaks out the side of his mouth.

You combine this what other chatter that has emerged and behaviors we have seen this team make at the behest of McD.

Mckensie in the doghouse

Benching some randoms

Letting Jerry go to Houston - a dude that was completely the culture of this team (I blame McD for this 1000%)

McDermott is a great rebuild the culture dude. He's not a championship coach, however. Any chance he does will be the talent he has on the roster - the most talented roster in the NFL in many seasons 

I'm also concerned with what real role Frazier has with the Defense. Is Frazier running all of it? If so, why do we need McD?

I was hoping we kept Dabol. I know and knew McD will choke. I'd have fired him at the year end and put Dabol as HC.

Edit: even though Beas was washed up McD sucked balls leading the team there. Just as he did with Araiza. The players didn't care about Araiza but they'd seen McD leave his players out in the rain with McKenzie and Beas. I have, to this day, never seen a player speak out against Beasley. I've seen overwhelming support from McKenzie, Davis, Poyer, Dawkins, and other leaders on this team for who Beas was... And McD let the dude look like a tool. Not that McD could stop him but he should have got up there and said he wants Beasley to feel free to speak his mind and he's not there to decide the truth. Yeah, I'm too tired to write all fancy but he really screwed the pooch on Beasley. 

Edited by boyst
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I said something yesterday about how Allen ought to be listening to Sinatra at halftime too. 🤷‍♂️

Passion is great at most positions, but at QB being dispassionate is equally as important, imo.

Josh only has Dorsey and Barkley now - Daboll and Shea are gone and Brady is new to the staff. His entire support system has changed...

Like most QBs when the game is on the line you go the the guys you trust and Josh's trust = Diggs and Gabe. He doesn't trust McKenzie enough, Knox is being used as a blocker (for obvious reasons) and this has limited his ability to get out there to make plays.

Hero ball is back because he internally feels an immense pressure to make the plays.

We take penalties on offense on critical possessions way to frequently which leads to our 3rd and long. Mentally we are not there on offense in critical moments. We are a bad short yardage team and have been for years now. Hero ball is what bails us out. We also are not good right now at making adjustments on the fly during the 2nd half. Once teams shut us down in the second, we have not been able to respond and get anything going. 3 points, 3 points and now 6 points in the second half in the last 3 games. 

Perhaps with an offense vs defense division - josh is trying even harder to keep finger pointing to a minimum. This falls under McD's leadership as a HC and not necessarily to Josh. Josh wants to win and wants the SB bad, which is making him press and be the hero. If those divisions existed last year, there is a good chance some of those players involved are still on this team (which might be why they haven't been offered a contract yet - Po?). Can't just look at this positively or negatively because both can be true at the same time.

The offense knows that with a banged up D, they need to score more to put teams away, which is when Josh puts more pressure on himself and he makes mistakes. I am sure the D is getting pissed at the TOs, they get stops and Josh makes terrible decisions. His intention is in the right place, but how he is going aboout it is putting a weakened unit out there on the field more and exposing them to the increased potential of game breaking mistakes due to the injuries (Cam Lewis) not being able to get off the field on what 4 or 5 3rd and longs and 2 4th and forevers? This will lead to even more finger pointing between the units. This is on the HC to resolve...

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

This is well put together and cannot be ignored. It draws together everything we know to frame what is going on. This post should be read by all and it is why McDermott is a ***** clown until he proves otherwise.

He double speaks out the side of his mouth.

You combine this what other chatter that has emerged and behaviors we have seen this team make at the behest of McD.

Mckensie in the doghouse

Benching some randoms

Letting Jerry go to Houston - a dude that was completely the culture of this team (I blame McD for this 1000%)

McDermott is a great rebuild the culture dude. He's not a championship coach, however. Any chance he does will be the talent he has on the roster - the most talented roster in the NFL in many seasons 

I'm also concerned with what real role Frazier has with the Defense. Is Frazier running all of it? If so, why do we need McD?

I was hoping we kept Dabol. I know and knew McD will choke. I'd have fired him at the year end and put Dabol as HC.

Edit: even though Beas was washed up McD sucked balls leading the team there. Just as he did with Araiza. The players didn't care about Araiza but they'd seen McD leave his players out in the rain with McKenzie and Beas. I have, to this day, never seen a player speak out against Beasley. I've seen overwhelming support from McKenzie, Davis, Poyer, Dawkins, and other leaders on this team for who Beas was... And McD let the dude look like a tool. Not that McD could stop him but he should have got up there and said he wants Beasley to feel free to speak his mind and he's not there to decide the truth. Yeah, I'm too tired to write all fancy but he really screwed the pooch on Beasley. 

Not sure how coherent it was, I'm working through these thoughts in real time LOL

• Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ty Dunne Article

Wow.

All of that points to a lack of leadership.

I still can’t believe McDermott didn’t provide answers to the players after that playoff debacle. It’s inconceivable.

Allen is pressing because yet again he is the whole offense.    They had yet another offseason to address the run game and did zip.   The line stinks and Knox is asked to block instead of running routes.  Gabe Davis hasnt made the leap and no clear cut third option has emerged  Honestly we miss Beasley on 3rd down   I'm not a McDermott fan but Beane should shoulder some blame as well.  They invested a ton into the D line and not much to show for it .  Bills have two pro bowlers they drafted  White and Allen.    Rest were FA's and Diggs via trade  Pretty mediocre drafting .  Most concerning is the inability to win the close games  Anytime its one score seems like you can feel the panic on the sideline

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Josh only has Dorsey and Barkley now - Daboll and Shea are gone and Brady is new to the staff. His entire support system has changed...

Like most QBs when the game is on the line you go the the guys you trust and Josh's trust = Diggs and Gabe. He doesn't trust McKenzie enough, Knox is being used as a blocker (for obvious reasons) and this has limited his ability to get out there to make plays.

Hero ball is back because he internally feels an immense pressure to make the plays.

We take penalties on offense on critical possessions way to frequently which leads to our 3rd and long. Mentally we are not there on offense in critical moments. We are a bad short yardage team and have been for years now. Hero ball is what bails us out. We also are not good right now at making adjustments on the fly during the 2nd half. Once teams shut us down in the second, we have not been able to respond and get anything going. 3 points, 3 points and now 6 points in the second half in the last 3 games. 

Perhaps with an offense vs defense division - josh is trying even harder to keep finger pointing to a minimum. This falls under McD's leadership as a HC and not necessarily to Josh. Josh wants to win and wants the SB bad, which is making him press and be the hero. If those divisions existed last year, there is a good chance some of those players involved are still on this team (which might be why they haven't been offered a contract yet - Po?). Can't just look at this positively or negatively because both can be true at the same time.

The offense knows that with a banged up D, they need to score more to put teams away, which is when Josh puts more pressure on himself and he makes mistakes. I am sure the D is getting pissed at the TOs, they get stops and Josh makes terrible decisions. His intention is in the right place, but how he is going aboout it is putting a weakened unit out there on the field more and exposing them to the increased potential of game breaking mistakes due to the injuries (Cam Lewis) not being able to get off the field on what 4 or 5 3rd and longs and 2 4th and forevers? This will lead to even more finger pointing between the units. This is on the HC to resolve...

Not sure how coherent it was, I'm working through these thoughts in real time LOL

It was great

I think he can rebuild the trust in McKenzie. He has spoken well of him before and looked for him yesterday. Their past chemistry is there and if im buying stock in anyone right now it's him

Also, I'm concerned with the lack of trust the team has in Hines. Trotting out Cook was fine for a few plays but Hines was brought in by Beane to be a great weapon McD said, "nah bro... Duke Johnson is gonna be me dude.". Going in to be game I was excited we had all 3 going in and like that we still have Gillam and Morris to work in... Two players thar succeeded earlier in the season we have seemingly lost.

So Josh's pressure is obvious. His hero ball mentality is back from 2019 with some yips. He doesn't have anyone to calm him down and Dorsey wouldn't be that guy. Now, I've loved Dorsey since he coached Newton to his best playing years but he's not the guy who is ready to temper a young developing QB. Josh isn't Tua or Burrow coming into the league. He's Rodgers or Brady. He is still learning.

I bring this up in why I think Daboll had more value than McDermott. The cards didn't fall to get that to happen, though. 

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Call it a hunch, but I don't think the players like Sean McDermott.

I don't think the players dislike him. I think they don't fully trust him. It's easy to get right when we are winning. And it's easy for him to draw in attention and say "blame me" after so many losses but the situation is quirky.

Take time everyone and remember 2017.  

The entire team wanted Taylor to start. This was not widely known at the time but has been leaked since. The team damn near threw the game because Peterman got the start. 5 pick Peterman.

McDermott was the HC there that let that happen. Let the team and players damn near get into a fight in the locker room. 

Players texting friends and family before and during the game they were pissed Peterman was starting.

We got our asses handed to us. We're unprepared several times that season then showed hope heading down to Jacksonville only to show up unprepared and unfocused to just stink the field up in an easy game that was close and winnable.

• Like (+1) 1

If people's assumptions that the players are not happy with McDermott, then McDermott will be gone at seasons end.

This will infuriate the crowd here that views him as having more passes than a hall monitor, but it would be the right move if the players aren't responding to his message

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wow.

All of that points to a lack of leadership.

I still can’t believe McDermott didn’t provide answers to the players after that playoff debacle. It’s inconceivable.

As jw says:

Lots of finger pointing going on, whether it is actually verbally spoken or just nonverbal cues and not much leadership from the top to end it between the Offensive and Defensive units. Along with a coaching staff not being able to make adjustments. You also have to wonder if there have been disarrangements and finger pointing between the OC and DC, again all on McD.

I'm not trying to be an anti McD poster, I'm indifferent at this point. There are a lot of positives he brought to really build this team and that perspective and guidance and leadership was needed when he came on board.

For the Bills he was the leader we needed - he was the judge, jury and executioner and he built a damn good program here, brought in an excellent GM, guided a roster rebuild and created stability. The question becomes is he the leader we need now? Can/should he still be Judge, Jury and Executioner?

It is ok to openly question if he is indeed the leader we need at this point for our team. He is a new HC and being in a new position for the first time, you do learn and grow when you ware finally in that position. It is possible he follows the Andy Reid career path, it is also possible that he has reached his limits (not sure this is the case), it also possible that this team and Josh may need more than he is right now (Sean Peyton)...

Not a road we necessarily need to go down...just open thoughts

15 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Allen is pressing because yet again he is the whole offense.    They had yet another offseason to address the run game and did zip.   The line stinks and Knox is asked to block instead of running routes.  Gabe Davis hasnt made the leap and no clear cut third option has emerged  Honestly we miss Beasley on 3rd down   I'm not a McDermott fan but Beane should shoulder some blame as well.  They invested a ton into the D line and not much to show for it .  Bills have two pro bowlers they drafted  White and Allen.    Rest were FA's and Diggs via trade  Pretty mediocre drafting .  Most concerning is the inability to win the close games  Anytime its one score seems like you can feel the panic on the sideline

Beane is grocery shopping for his Chef who has been brought up as a defensive guy, which is fine, but the lack of high pick choices on Offense clearly stand out. Even with our recent RB trade - he seriously cannot be on the field yet? CMC sure did a lot on SF and TJ played well for Minny...

Panic on the sideline = on the coaches, lack of preparation and confidence creates panic and uncertainty and pressing and wanting to be a hero

• Like (+1) 1