Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

52 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not sure if I understand you correctly but this doesn't make much sense. Are you implying that if there are internal issues they are related to the fact that some offensive players are not targeted and are mad about it?

If yes, who do you have in mind? Since I don't see it.

Davis gets enough targets and he is the last one who should be complaining about anything.

I can't imagine KcKenzie being like this. Maybe I am misreading him.

Knox is one of Josh's best friends, isn't he? Do you think he has a problem with him?

Crowder is on IR. Shakir is humble rookie. Singletary gets targets. Cook is also a rookie.

So who?

My guess on internal issues is between McD and Dorsey and not the players.  When things were going well, Allen was spreading the ball around to different players and making the easy throws.  Allen's average depth of target was between 7 and 8 yards a throw. The running game wasn't great but serviceable.  Since the Steelers game, Allen has become more reliant on deeper throws.  Not counting the Vikings game, Allen has averaged 12 to 14 yards per throw.  These numbers are coming from Joe Marino on his podcast.  Allen isn't spreading the ball around like he did early in the season.  (He did a nice a job in the 1st half of Vikings game).  So my guess is McD is at odds with Dorsey regarding play calling and not mixing up the plays enough.  JMO

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

My guess on internal issues is between McD and Dorsey and not the players.  When things were going well, Allen was spreading the ball around to different players and making the easy throws.  Allen's average depth of target was between 7 and 8 yards a throw. The running game wasn't great but serviceable.  Since the Steelers game, Allen has become more reliant on deeper throws.  Not counting the Vikings game, Allen has averaged 12 to 14 yards per throw.  These numbers are coming from Joe Marino on his podcast.  Allen isn't spreading the ball around like he did early in the season.  (He did a nice a job in the 1st half of Vikings game).  So my guess is McD is at odds with Dorsey regarding play calling and not mixing up the plays enough.  JMO

I mean...

"The Bills rushing in the fourth quarter: 66 carries for 207 yards, two touchdowns and 3.1 yards per rush. Take away Allen's rushes and the Bills have rushed just 45 times for 154 yards in the fourth quarter.

Keep in mind that the Bills are often almost always leading in the fourth quarter. Perhaps they should consider throttling down a bit."

Clearly this is what McD wants - but for whatever reason, that's not what Dorsey is calling...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I was all for going for it yesterday in the stadium.  In hindsight, the better play may have been to kick and to let the Vikings try to score two TDs to beat us.  Again, though, whatever.  They did score two touchdowns, and we lucked out with the missed extra point and the miracle FG.  So we either deal with this and move on or it ruins the season.  

I was there too, everyone wanted to go for it and it was the right decision as it puts you up 3 scores, going up from 10 points to 13 points doesn't do a damn thing for you.

I''ll throw some gas on the fire with this comment:

The same people on this board who are saying go for the FG are likely the same fans who whine and cry that we don't (or didn't in years' past) step on the other team's throat to take the game away from them. That really is what this decision comes down to. Game is over with a TD there. Great teams do this

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not really a shocker consider recent comments from Beasely, Feliciano, etc.

And at some point McD's tired message is going to get stale in the lockerroom and when that happens and certain players (or the whole team) quits that's when it will truly be over for him and possibly Beane if they are locked at the hip in this thing.

Allow me to piggyback some additional unconfirmed speculation onto that. There was a complaint by an unnamed player shortly after the KC playoff loss. He said that McD preaches accountability and demands it from the players, but does not walk the talk himself. McD dodging accountability for what happened at the end of that game seemed to be what brought up the statement. I don’t know how much truth there is to it in general, but it certainly seemed true in that instance. I don’t really watch many pressers. How has McDermott been as far as taking responsibility for the recent losses?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

As I said previously, a holding penalty against any offensive lineman -- Dawkins was called for holding in a clutch moment against the Jets just the previous week -- results in a safety. Grounding is also a risk.

And if you concede that Allen was "panicked the moment we walked up to the line", what makes you think he would have been any LESS so if he was called on to THROW the ball?

Also, a safety, resulting in 2 points but also having to free kick the ball away to the Vikings who would've only needed a field goal to win, was NOT a great option. Preferable to literally fumbling in one's own end zone, sure, but you'd like to think your QB and center can execute the most basic play in football without stepping on their own *****.

Thought about this on the long car ride home - if his Elbow and arm were sore and bothering him - how much could that have impacted his ability to handle the snap? I haven't looked at any stats or breakdowns from the game yet, but we were in shotgun a ton yesterday. I do wonder if taking the snap under the center did cause enough discomfort to botch it and for us to not go under center much in the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Tre is going to take the full 12 months maybe more.  

Chris Godwin said this week he’s still rehabbing.  

I’m fine with what Tre is doing btw.  We need him beyond this season to be right.  

I’m also OK with players like Adrian Peterson tearing an ACL and MCL and being back on the playing field 10 months after his injury. And winning the NFL MVP the season he returned.

Edited by Beast

I hate that we lost as much as the next person.  I will add two thoughts.

1) John Warrow looks like the conspiracy theorist from every movie.  The zoom calls during the pandemic were my favorite.  He looked like he just rolled out of bed.  Literally he was wearing a robe in one of them.  Also I have never heard a reporter struggle as much as he does to formulate a question.  He just starts rambling and then hopes at then end by voice fluctuation it becomes a question.  Like Ron Burgandy reading off the teleprompter with a question mark.  If anyone has an in with Bills front office it is definitely not this guy.

2) Teams lose.  It isn't the end of the world.  Good QB's throw picks it happens.  It sucks but I am hardly freaking out over this.  For every Tom Brady come from behind win he had what seemed like 1 dropped interception throw that could have easily made him less of a GOAT.  Sometimes you get the breaks.  This last game yea I think Josh was forcing it on the last drive when he still had time.  So there is definitely something for him to take from this loss and improve on.  I believe it is down/distance/clock management.  But just like in every situation you can take good and bad.  At the end of the game with 41 seconds he took us down the field to get into field goal range.  Quite frankly his throw to Gabe Davis on that last drive in the 41 seconds should have been a TD if not for the defensive PI.  If the defender didn't hold on that play and Gabe Davis scores everyone here would be talking about how amazing of a QB we have.  I guess my point is this game didn't change how I feel about this team or JA.  I am looking forward to Cleveland and Lions.  Getting back on track and seeing how this bipolar message board responds.

Edited by Fred Slacks
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, McBean said:

Let’s hope those internal issues are Brandon Beane finally realizing that Sean McDermott is Doug Collins. I hope Beane takes a look at the 7-2 New York Giants, with way less talent, and realizes what the real problem is. 

Do the right thing Beane and hire a bright offensive minded HC, or we’re going to waste a generational talent in Josh Allen.

Comments like this show a real lack of understanding of both A. The NFL and B. the currently situation at One Bills Drive.  

First, off McDermott probably has as much stroke as Beane at OBD, if not more.  McDermott and Beane both report to Terry Pegula.   McDermott was the one who brought Beane in Buffalo.  It’s not like firing him would be his call alone, so the premise is completely flawed from the start.

Second, Brandon Beane believes in McDermott as a HC.  You can use whatever analogy you want, but he’s just as high on McDermott as the rest of the organization.  Besides this, he’s a friend.     

So who can fire him?  You guess it…old TP.  I’m sure he’s very anxious to start another HC search after his success with the Bills and Sabres in the past.  

Yes, they will fire the coach with the 2nd highest winning percentage in team history that completely transformed the Bills organization on-the-field and off-the-field.  

Besides this, perceptions of McDermott in the NFL are much higher than within the Bills fan base.

You might as well ask Santa Claus for Giselle gift wrapped under the Christmas, because there’s about as a high of a chance as McDermott getting “fired” by someone who he doesn’t report to.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Thought about this on the long car ride home - if his Elbow and arm were sore and bothering him - how much could that have impacted his ability to handle the snap? I haven't looked at any stats or breakdowns from the game yet, but we were in shotgun a ton yesterday. I do wonder if taking the snap under the center did cause enough discomfort to botch it and for us to not go under center much in the game.

Considering some of those throws he was uncorking, several with wide open arm angles, his elbow was not a problem yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Considering some of those throws he was uncorking, several with wide open arm angles, his elbow was not a problem yesterday.

I agree as well. I don't want to say its the yips or anything like that LOL. It is inexcusable and concerning IMO

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Who else would you have signed in off-season? 

I think all those moves are decent low risk contracts.  White ripping up his knee forced them to draft CB. If White is healthy they probably let Bates walk and draft OT/OG first round.  

Beane made the correct off-season moves. 

Allen has to play better, Doresy needs to diversify the offense, and they need to get healthy. 

Agree with this. People talk about OL all the time but there were simply no players available. Almost no FAs who would be an upgrade. And we did scout a lot of OL, but we just weren't at the spots to draft them.

Granted, they may have misjudged some players and probably made mistakes when drafting, but it's not like Beane didn't want to draft OL. But he just didn't want to force it.

I think I had a discussion with @GunnerBill about this and he came up with a name or two who we could've reasonably had. But it doesn't mean they were willing to come here. And it's not like rounds 2-3 were filled with top end OL talent.

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Agreed. The issue over the past 4 games is more with his head/decision making than any physical limitations. 

He wants to score on every play and his OC is not only doing nothing to reign it in, he's actively exacerbating the problem.

You've got two guys in concert trying to go full hero ball and it's leading to game-losing turnovers.

McDermott needs to have an honest talk with Josh and then ride Dorsey into a chicken wing until he knocks it the hell off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

He wants to score on every play and his OC is not only doing nothing to reign it in, he's actively exacerbating the problem.

You've got two guys in concert trying to go full hero ball and it's leading to game-losing turnovers.

McDermott needs to have an honest talk with Josh and then ride Dorsey into a chicken wing until he knocks it the hell off.

The problem is that those risky throws into tight coverage were working early in the season. Defenses got it all on film and now they are jumping routes. The Bills need to adjust.