Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

I don't disagree that there are improvements that can be made to the way the Bills do things on offense. From spending higher capital on offensive players to incorporating our talented speedy running backs to diversifying our passing attack.

Will all of that said, seeing so many people primarily blaming the front office and coaching staff for the recent slump, when Josh Allen has thrown two picks in three straight games -- two of which the Bills lost directly because of those turnovers -- is frustrating and confounding.

1. The Bills front office and coaching staff can do a better job of putting Josh Allen in a position to succeed and maximizing his talents.
2. Josh Allen has enough around him right now, both personnel and coaching wise, for the Bills to be 8-1. The fact that they are not is LARGELY due to his own poor decision making the past two weeks.

Both things can be true. Item 1 is not likely to be fixable mid-season. Item 2 IS fixable, and that's up to Josh.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IF there is anything to this, IMO it has to do with guys like Cook not getting chances and Tre White being said to be "not hurt" but also inactive.

It makes Tre look bad, or at least, it could come across that way to a guy like Poyer who is walking around with cracked ribs and driving himself across the country to play in games and also not currently being paid the big $$. 

On that McKenzie restaurant show from last year after 13 seconds he strongly hinted that there were some issues. I was shocked that he was re-signed. 

IMO it comes down to McDermott being a soft taskmaster.

Meaning, it his way or the highway but Josh can decide that we're not kicking a FG or not punting. 

You can be a player's coach or a taskmaster type but you can't really be both, which is where the digs from Beasley and Feliciano come in. that's my best guess. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Here are things you should be doing if you are an NFL franchise lucky enough to have a generational talent at quarterback:

1.  Invest heavily in your offensive line, so as not to get your QB killed.

2. Get your QB the best weapons possible, including speed receivers who can open up the field, knowing that because of the special talents of your QB, ROI on such players will be multiplied.  (Hint:  Don't use all your premium picks on defensive players...)

3  Try to develop some sort of running attack so that EVERYTHING doesn't have to run through your QB all the time.  (See also, item 1, above)

4.  Hire an innovative OC who is able to maximize your QB's special talents.

The Bills are a huge FAIL in all four categories.    

The Bills lead the NFL in yards per game, AKA, they are the No. 1 offense in the league.  Unfortunately, they rank 31st in interceptions and total turnovers (18).  By comparison, the Eagles have 3 total turnovers.  It's not a lack of talent on that side of the ball.  We have long stretches where we move the ball at will.  We just need Josh to stop turning the damn ball over.  Do that and we will win every game left on the schedule.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’d imagine there are some minor issues with all the attention Josh is getting despite him being incredibly humble.  He’s showing up on TV more and more and the National Press loves him. However he hasn’t been doing his part so I think it’s natural and minor at worst.

I could see players starting to wonder about McD though.  Not revolting or anything but they’re talking about his signature losses and mismanagement at the end of games.

Other than that, I just can’t see this team being anywhere close to the bickering Bills 2.0.

Edited by Shanahan's Horseshoe

3 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Since this is all just wild unsubstantiated speculation I’ll throw in my random thought based on nothing at all.

Maybe there’s some animosity towards the Von Miller signing by some of the guys on the defense. And to a lesser extent, maybe the Knox contract.

They know that it means Poyer probably doesn’t get paid and he’s one of the guys who helped build this whole thing from the ground up. The team basically dumps him on the eve of the prom to try and hook up with the newly single girl. 

I don't think it's Miller. The Knox thing, though, feels like it rings true. This is a guy who is being paid like a top player without ever showing out like a top player, and the dollars on a team are a zero sum game. Guys like Poyer, Oliver, Edmunds... those are dollars now off the table for them.

Here's the tie-in though: Knox is firmly established in Allen's clique, along with Diggs and guys like Sweeney. That could be a source of resentment - a sense that Knox only gets paid like that because he's Allen's buddy. Sweeney making the team and doing exactly nothing besides maintaining the frat house, while Howard at least makes a couple plays elsewhere.

If there is some hidden smoke, that feels like it might be reasonable as a source.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

The push is not what caused the fumble though. So you are saying you knew what was coming but what you knew was coming didn't happen. It was a botched snap, not a defensive push.

True. If Allen hadn’t fumbled, it’s likely a safety instead of a touchdown. Or, maybe, best case scenario, they get back to the line of scrimmage. Still, a bad coaching decision. 

Morse got blown off the ball (red arrow below). Just like the interior o-line had been blown off the ball all day. There was just very little chance of success on this play. Looking at it over and over, maybe Josh can hop and push to the right for one yard? If that happened, then they’re in the same situation. 2nd and 9 from the 1 yard line and they still can’t kneel the ball.

343-A040-A-14-AC-4306-B96-E-107-CBC6-AB4

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

It has been reported for a while now (but often swept under the rug) that McDermott has a bit of a dark side.

Remember when he lost his (bleep) and cussed out one of the reporters on the practice field because of a report he didn’t like? Or when he suspended Chris Brown (the biggest Bills homer on the planet) from the facility for multiple weeks because he said the wrong thing on the radio? And then there was the note in the Flores lawsuit that talked about how Daboll wanted out of Buffalo, even if it was NOT for a head coach job?

When you have that smoke, it becomes

implausible that there is no fire.

Don't forget the Schopp & Bulldog end of all that too.

In McDermott's first year as HC, he did a live segment with them every Monday during the season.

In one episode, Schopp said something like "What do you see in the starting QB, b/c no one else does."  

This totally pissed off McDermott, and the rest of the conversation was stressed.  It ended with McDermott hanging up (LOL!) on the guys without saying "goodbye" or "thanks" or any fake response.  He just hung up on them.

The guys were stunned and made a joke about it, kind of, then went to commercial break.

When they came back, Bulldog was running a 1 man show; he did all the talking and Mike was just mysteriously gone.

He remained gone for over 1/2 hour, then finally rejoined Bulldog.

When he finally said something again after like a 40 minute absence, he just made a quick comment/joke like "well, that was interesting" or something and it was left there.

Neither of them has ever discussed this episode to my knowledge.

McDermott did finish out his segments with the that season, but never came back the following year, and that's when he moved to talking weekly with Howard.

There was speculation at the time about what happened to Mike.

I feel like he personally called McDermott on his cell phone and they got into it.

OR, there was the theory that Mike's boss called him into his office and yelled at him for 1/2 hour.

I would GUARANTEE McDermott, after that day, said "I will not do that show with these guys again."

McDermott is an extremely intense, weird, religious zealot.  People like that are not in control of their own minds.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

The Bills lead the NFL in yards per game, AKA, they are the No. 1 offense in the league.  Unfortunately, they rank 31st in interceptions and total turnovers (18).  By comparison, the Eagles have 3 total turnovers.  It's not a lack of talent on that side of the ball.  We have long stretches where we move the ball at will.  We just need Josh to stop turning the damn ball over.  Do that and we will win every game left on the schedule.

Do you think the turnover numbers would be reduced if we had a running game capable of scoring in the red zone, instead of relying on dropback passes repeatedly from inside the 5-yard line?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Do you think the turnover numbers would be reduced if we had a running game capable of scoring in the red zone, instead of relying on dropback passes repeatedly from inside the 5-yard line?

We scored twice from inside the red zone running the ball though... 2nd and 2 from the 7 - we passed 3 times.  3rd and 1 from minnesota 49 - we pass and get sacked.  We did have a duke johnson rush get stopped, and a singletary.  But We also stopped running

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I don't think it's Miller. The Knox thing, though, feels like it rings true. This is a guy who is being paid like a top player without ever showing out like a top player, and the dollars on a team are a zero sum game. Guys like Poyer, Oliver, Edmunds... those are dollars now off the table for them.

Here's the tie-in though: Knox is firmly established in Allen's clique, along with Diggs and guys like Sweeney. That could be a source of resentment - a sense that Knox only gets paid like that because he's Allen's buddy. Sweeney making the team and doing exactly nothing besides maintaining the frat house, while Howard at least makes a couple plays elsewhere.

Possibly, but I get the feeling that Knox is a well liked guy by his teammates.  He's not playing poorly either.  They are using him mostly to block and then serve as a dump off outlet for Josh.  When they actually send him out as a true downfield option he produces.  I think it's a Dorsey/scheme issue.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't forget the Schopp & Bulldog end of all that too.

In McDermott's first year as HC, he did a live segment with them every Monday during the season.

In one episode, Schopp said something like "What do you see in the starting QB, b/c no one else does."  

This totally pissed off McDermott, and the rest of the conversation was stressed.  It ended with McDermott hanging up (LOL!) on the guys without saying "goodbye" or "thanks" or any fake response.  He just hung up on them.

The guys were stunned and made a joke about it, kind of, then went to commercial break.

When they came back, Bulldog was running a 1 man show; he did all the talking and Mike was just mysteriously gone.

He remained gone for over 1/2 hour, then finally rejoined Bulldog.

When he finally said something again after like a 40 minute absence, he just made a quick comment/joke like "well, that was interesting" or something and it was left there.

Neither of them has ever discussed this episode to my knowledge.

McDermott did finish out his segments with the that season, but never came back the following year, and that's when he moved to talking weekly with Howard.

There was speculation at the time about what happened to Mike.

I feel like he personally called McDermott on his cell phone and they got into it.

OR, there was the theory that Mike's boss called him into his office and yelled at him for 1/2 hour.

I would GUARANTEE McDermott, after that day, said "I will not do that show with these guys again."

McDermott is an extremely intense, weird, religious zealot.  People like that are not in control of their own minds.

He and his ilk scare the ***** out of me; I try to avoid such people.

You're making a whole lot of speculation there buddy.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He and his ilk scare the ***** out of me; I try to avoid such people.

Reading this post like oh, ok, wow interesting, definitely concerning.... andddd post falls off a cliff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I’d imagine there are some minor issues with all the attention Josh is getting despite him being incredibly humble.  He’s showing up on TV more and more and the National Press loves him. However he hasn’t been doing his part so I think it’s natural and minor at worst.

I could see players starting to wonder about McD though.  Not revolting or anything but they’re talking about his signature losses and mismanagement at the end of games.

Other than that, I just can’t see this team being anywhere close to the bickering Bills 2.0.

I don't think there is anything going on other than Josh being "off."  He is an emotional player.  Whether it's sugar-high Josh, or angry Josh, when he lets his emotions get the better of him, he makes horrid mistakes.  He was very angry at himself yesterday after that fumble on the goal-line...Tasker even mentioned it on One Bills Live.  Jordan Palmer, Josh's QB guru, said last year, that Josh was playing better because he was in more control of his emotions.  He didn't let himself get too high, or too low.  This year, he's lost that...for whatever reason...the early season hype, off-field distractions, putting too much on this shoulders.  He needs to get out of his own head and regain his composure.  As Josh goes, the team goes.  

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We scored twice from inside the red zone running the ball though... 

Yep, so why did we attempt three straight drop back passes from the 2-yard line, leading 27-17 in the fourth quarter? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

I don't think there is anything going on other than Josh being "off."  He is an emotional player.  Whether it's sugar-high Josh, or angry Josh, when he lets his emotions get the better of him, he makes horrid mistakes.  He was very angry at himself yesterday after that fumble on the goal-line...Tasker even mentioned it on One Bills Live.  Jordan Palmer, Josh's QB guru, said last year, that Josh was playing better because he was in more control of his emotions.  He didn't let himself get too high, or too low.  This year, he's lost that...for whatever reason...the early season hype, off-field distractions, putting too much on this shoulders.  He needs to get out of his own head and regain his composure.  As Josh goes, the team goes.  

I think this all but eliminates him from the MVP conversation.  And I'm fine with it - get back to focusing on winning football.  

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Yep, so why did we attempt three straight drop back passes from the 2-yard line, leading 27-17 in the fourth quarter? 

That... is a good question.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Speculation?  About what? I've done nothing but describe the weirdest episode in S&B history!

You think it was random chance that McDermott did the segments with different hosts after that incident? 

You didn't hear the segment!  McDermott HATES Schopp...and even moreso vice versa.

That's quite obvious for any routine listeners.

I do love how various posters now will RUSH to the "defense" of Sean McDermott.

LOL

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

The more I think about it the more I’d side with you on this one.  Josh saw that single coverage to Davis and went for the td there and I’m sure some of it had to do with the general confidence (or lack thereof) that the offense has in slamming the ball in on a first and goal 

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think this all but eliminates him from the MVP conversation.  And I'm fine with it - get back to focusing on winning football.  

That... is a good question.  

It's something that isn't talked about much. That and why we chose to throw three times in a row when we had to run the clock out. 

Just now, Roundybout said:

It's something that isn't talked about much. That and why we chose to throw three times in a row when we had to run the clock out. 

Yeah - i don't mind throwing there as you need a first down to really hurt them.  But that was some terrible execution, and a lot of it was on Diggs actually.  

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I mean, this is a team message board the day after a ridiculously dumb loss and a connected reporter sent out a tweet literally inviting speculation... that's why "I know something but am not going to say it" is such a silly thing for a reporter to put out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1