Dorsey’s lack of adjustments in the second half; 12 second half points in the last 3 games

Jerry Jabber

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Maybe, but that's not who I was thinking.  It was a name I wasn't familiar with. When I get some free time ( someday) I'll try and find who it was back then. For some reason I thought his last name started with a B.🤔. Could be wrong though. 

Joe Brady

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I mean, if Allen doesn’t have 2 Redzone picks we could have had 20 2nd half points. I agree the adjustments seem minimal though. 

Thank you.  Allen is my favorite player of all time and is a top 3 player in the league overall.  That doesn't mean when he struggles, it's not on him.

It's not always someone else's fault.  Allen's struggles are on Allen....he's not protecting the football.  

• Like (+1) 1

Learning on the fly.  First it was McDermott, now Dorsey.

Certainly, Dorsey is bright guy and a hard worker.  The 2nd half performance in the past 3 weeks are a big concern and Dorsey is the man in charge of the offense, so he is the guy on the hot seat.  

We need something more than Allen pass and Allen run.    

As far as the lack of a consistent running game, I look at the interior OL and see a bunch of mediocre players.  

• Agree 1

The bottom line is this team don't trust their oline or RB's which is a big problem.

And even when things are going well, once something bad happens (i.e. the singletary fumble) they completely abandon any real effort to run and go full JA17 time which is why this hero ball crap and turnovers in bunches is happening.

It's just very puzzling that this team has spent multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks on RB's in recent years, and apparently were willing to give up even more for CMC before the trade deadline and can't seem to figure out how to achieve any semblance of balance on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Because the Bills were up by 2 scores and if they kicked a field goal they still would’ve been up by 2 scores. The coaches didn’t have the power of hindsight and didn’t know Josh would make just about the worst play he could’ve possible made.

Agree. There is merit and validity going for it up 10 points. A TD and extra point makes it a 17 point game which is likely the game. However, a miss keeps the game at 10 points and would obviously give the Vikes the momentum. 

My thought process in real time was take the 3 points. I was happy with making the Vikes score two TDs to win the game in our stadium. Imho, there is a huge difference between scoring a TD and a FG rather than two TDs. 

In summary, both decisions I think can be supported relatively easy. In hindsight, it's always easy to make the better decision. 

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

McKenzie 4 of 5 for 37 yards 1 carry 18 yards. 3 of these were for a first down.  His carry was for a first down.  The other catch was for 8 yards on first down.

Knox 4 of 6 for 57 yards.  Didnt really look into the deets on Knox catches but 2 of them were on the final drive of regulation and for first downs.

Both of these guys were instrumental on the last drive of regulation that tied the game.

It isnt lack of Beasley.  Its lack of Dorsey's offense and lack of Josh reading the field.

Yes, that last series with :41 seconds left in the half by the Bills went to Knox, McKenzie, Gabe Davis for the tying FG from the Minn 35 to the Buffalo 35. 

Where was this during the other series of the second half?

The Bills were up 24-10 at the half and kept that lead mostly all through the 3rd quarter.

3rd Quarter 12:22, 3 plays PUNT.

3rd Quarter 6:12, 8 plays FG.

3rd Quarter 1:34, 13 plays, INT.*** 

4th Quarter 4:34, 3 plays PUNT.

4th Quarter :49, 1 play FUMBLE.

4th Quarter :41, 5 plays FG. 

Only 6 points by Buffalo the entire second half. 

The Vikings corners were playing off Diggs and giving him a big cushion as to why so many throws to him. 12 of 16 for 128 yards. 

McKenzie 4 of 5 for 37 yards. Knox 4 of 6 for 56 yards. Shakir saw only one pass all game. Hines saw only one pass all game. James Cook saw no passes. 

From my view the Bills still need that first down maker safety valve like Beasley was. So many times Josh Allen needed to make those 3rd and long pass plays to keep drives going.

***INT, Bills at the Vikings 11 1/2 yard line. (The Bills score here and on 4th and 2 after two incompletions should have kicked a FG. 30-17 and instead an INT... 

Again, two pass incompletions just previous to that 4th down INT should have told the Bills OC that nobody getting open besides Diggs.) Ken Dorsey! 

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. There is merit and validity going for it up 10 points. A TD and extra point makes it a 17 point game which is likely the game. However, a miss keeps the game at 10 points and would obviously give the Vikes the momentum. 

My thought process in real time was take the 3 points. I was happy with making the Vikes score two TDs to win the game in our stadium. Imho, there is a huge difference between scoring a TD and a FG rather than two TDs. 

In summary, both decisions I think can be supported relatively easy. In hindsight, it's always easy to make the better decision. 

The safest and surest decision to secure a win is to get the FG at that time in the game. You now would force them to score 2 touchdowns and make both extra points (they missed one).  If the other team does that you only need a FG to still win the game.  

So, at that point, with limited possessions, you’re forcing them to score 2 touchdowns and keep you from getting 1 FG.  In the first quarter, maybe 2nd, sure go for the TD.  But late in the game extend your lead any way you can and force them to drive the whole field with each possession. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

If you're going up against Mahomes I can see going for the td on 4th & 2.  But the Vikings are not KC.  Take the damn 13 point lead and get Cam Lewis out of there ( Marlowe?).......

• Agree 1

On 11/14/2022 at 7:17 AM, Big Turk said:

Except it's not. You saw what happened...in an attempt to not get a safety the center and QB exchange was not clean due to both players trying to make sure they got a little extra jump.

It appeared Morse tried to go from snap to block too quickly. 

Allen in the gun rolling out and throwing it away if he wasn't able to run for a few yards was the easy call there. It was first down, they had multiple shots to get a few yards, something he was doing well all game.

Or even a fake QB Sneak and then pitch out to Cook or Hines to the outside would have likely done the trick...you know...the old Mike Mulaekey special.

Or shotgun snap if there's a problem Josh can throw it away if is a broken play.

Someone needs to tell the bills that once they get into the red zone there is still 20 more yards to pick up and a couple first downs as well

Seems like as soon as they reach the 20, they forget to take the easy underneath yards and try to go straight to the end zone 

You have time, you have yards, you have first downs. No need to rush into things 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dan said:

The safest and surest decision to secure a win is to get the FG at that time in the game. You now would force them to score 2 touchdowns and make both extra points (they missed one).  If the other team does that you only need a FG to still win the game.  

So, at that point, with limited possessions, you’re forcing them to score 2 touchdowns and keep you from getting 1 FG.  In the first quarter, maybe 2nd, sure go for the TD.  But late in the game extend your lead any way you can and force them to drive the whole field with each possession. 

I agree 100%. I was screaming at the TV in real time to take the easy 3 points. However, I understand going for it too. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If you're going up against Mahomes I can see going for the td on 4th & 2.  But the Vikings are not KC.  Take the damn 13 point lead and get Cam Lewis out of there ( Marlowe?).......

At the time, I thought Minn would not be able to score two TDs against the Bills at home. I thought they had a small chance to get a TD and a FG. 

Either way it was another colossal failure to close out a win. Gut wrenching and so frustrating. This team has been disappointing on so many levels. It's only week 10 but I just can't see this team with this coaching staff hoisting that Lombardi Trophy. Maybe I will feel different come playoff time. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say the division is up for grabs and the #1 seed and bye is bleak. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.