Dorsey’s lack of adjustments in the second half; 12 second half points in the last 3 games

Jerry Jabber

13 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Had they kicked the FG in the 4th quarter none of it would have mattered. Even if the Vikes make the missed PAT we would have won 33-31 in REGULATION.

I'll never understand why they didn't put easy points on the board there.  We were on the 7-yard line, and it would have been an easy FG.

Because the Bills were up by 2 scores and if they kicked a field goal they still would’ve been up by 2 scores. The coaches didn’t have the power of hindsight and didn’t know Josh would make just about the worst play he could’ve possible made.

• Like (+1) 1

So McDermott and Frazier didn't have great games yesterday. McDermott definitely should have kicked the FG in the 2nd half. And Frazier (albeit for sure he is coaching with one hand behind his back with that secondary and then no Edmunds) did a poor job on 3rd down.

But the longer term concerns I have are with Dorsey. I just don't see any creativity, I don't see any misdirection, I don't see enough one defender reads to get Josh going early in drives (drive starters were something Daboll was legit elite at), I don't see designed mismatches. At the start of the year it felt like he added two wrinkles... Diggs in the slot and more two tight end packages. The two tight end stuff has all but disappeared so other than move Diggs about a bit and then throw it to him every down what is he actually bringing?

And while I am not one generally to kill offensive coordinators for individual playcalls (every single one calls some clunkers it is par for the course) that series where Josh ended up throwing the pick om 4th down was baffling. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So McDermott and Frazier didn't have great games yesterday. McDermott definitely should have kicked the FG in the 2nd half. And Frazier (albeit for sure he is coaching with one hand behind his back with that secondary and then no Edmunds) did a poor job on 3rd down.

But the longer term concerns I have are with Dorsey. I just don't see any creativity, I don't see any misdirection, I don't see enough one defender reads to get Josh going early in drives (drive starters were something Daboll was legit elite at), I don't see designed mismatches. At the start of the year it felt like he added two wrinkles... Diggs in the slot and more two tight end packages. The two tight end stuff has all but disappeared so other than move Diggs about a bit and then throw it to him every down what is he actually bringing?

And while I am not one generally to kill offensive coordinators for individual playcalls (every single one calls some clunkers it is par for the course) that series where Josh ended up throwing the pick om 4th down was baffling. 

I said it in another thread. 

Tell me what the Bills offense does well. What do they execute when you absolutely have to have it? I don't think it's anything at the moment. If it's not Josh improvising it's Diggs on a choice route. And it seems Davis is pretty awful when it comes to a choice route. There's not one play I can think of where it's the Bills bread and butter and they can go back to it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

Because the Bills were up by 2 scores and if they kicked a field goal they still would’ve been up by 2 scores. The coaches didn’t have the power of hindsight and didn’t know Josh would make just about the worst play he could’ve possible made.

We were up by 2 scores, but a 2 score lead with an extra FG would have resulted in a W.

Take the easy points always, ESPECIALLY against good teams who have been coming from behind and winning games.

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

McD could have got on the head set and said absolutely not - call your best Josh Allen rollout with a pass option.  

But we don’t think like that late in games.  

and burn five seconds, and throw it away, or gain the yards needed to take a knee.  rinse repeat.  Then take the safety if needed on fourth down. 

• Agree 1

Dorsey's press conference today, didn't sound like he's going to change much. Defended the play calling, didn't hear any "I have to do a better job" McD uses. Instead Dorsey said they were going to "continue to be aggressive". Translation, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. Link below:

https://youtu.be/Vy68ECpyn-w

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Quoted so its not buried. You nailed it. #2 and 3, in particular seem outrageous.  Singletary, in my mind, is starting to feel like the Fred Jackson situation.  We ha have a pretty good RB, he always picks up positive yards, rarely tackled for a loss; yet they are constantly looking for a replacement and/or abandon running with him all together.   It makes no sense. 

Just saying, 

First series for Buffalo in 2nd half...Singletary run, no gain. Josh Allen pass to Diggs for 18 yards. Singletary up mid for one yard. Allen Sacked, -13 yards. PUNT.

Second series, Singletary LG no gain, Singletary LG 5 yards. Penalty on Eagles 1st down. Pass, Diggs 11 yards, pass Knox 22 yards, Cook left end +8 yards. Pass, incomplete. run by Duke Johnson no gain. Penalty false start, FG. 

Third series, pass incomplete, pass incomplete. Allen run, no gain, penalty on Brown holding. pass to Diggs 25 yards.

1st down.  Singletary LG no gain. Allen Sacked -6. pass Davis 22 yards. 1st down

Pass incomplete. Run by Cook 7 yards. Pass Diggs 16 yards. Pass McKenzie 8 yards. pass incomplete, pass incomplete. pass interception.

Fourth series, pass complete no gain. penalty Diggs false start. pass incomplete, pass incomplete. PUNT. 

Fifth series, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, FG. (against the team supposedly worst in the NFL in the red zone)

OT, Allen run +18, Allen run +20, pass Diggs +7, pass Diggs +7. Pass incomplete. pass interception.

Diggs 12 of 16 for 128 yards. Davis 6 of 9 for 93, 1 TD. 

Mistakes by the offense. a bunch of incomplete passes. defense keying on Singletary. turnovers. 

What this team is missing is that Cole Beasley slot WR first down maker. Why not more of Knox, Shakir, Hines? Just move the chains! 

So much of the game on QB Josh Allen's shoulders...

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Just saying, 

First series for Buffalo in 2nd half...Singletary run, no gain. Josh Allen pass to Diggs for 18 yards. Singletary up mid for one yard. Allen Sacked, -13 yards. PUNT.

Second series, Singletary LG no gain, Singletary LG 5 yards. Penalty on Eagles 1st down. Pass, Diggs 11 yards, pass Knox 22 yards, Cook left end +8 yards. Pass, incomplete. run by Duke Johnson no gain. Penalty false start, FG. 

Third series, pass incomplete, pass incomplete. Allen run, no gain, penalty on Brown holding. pass to Diggs 25 yards.

1st down.  Singletary LG no gain. Allen Sacked -6. pass Davis 22 yards. 1st down

Pass incomplete. Run by Cook 7 yards. Pass Diggs 16 yards. Pass McKenzie 8 yards. pass incomplete, pass incomplete. pass interception.

Fourth series, pass complete no gain. penalty Diggs false start. pass incomplete, pass incomplete. PUNT. 

Fifth series, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, FG. (against the team supposedly worst in the NFL in the red zone)

OT, Allen run +18, Allen run +20, pass Diggs +7, pass Diggs +7. Pass incomplete. pass interception.

Mistakes by the offense. a bunch of incomplete passes. defense keying on Singletary. turnovers. 

What this team is missing is that Cole Beasley slot WR first down maker. Why not more of Knox, Shakir, Hines? Just move the chains! 

So 5 runs in the 2nd half?  

7 hours ago, gobills404 said:

2 TDs plus 2 two point conversions.  Kick the FG and take the points there.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Just saying, 

McKenzie 4 of 5 for 37 yards 1 carry 18 yards. 3 of these were for a first down.  His carry was for a first down.  The other catch was for 8 yards on first down.

Knox 4 of 6 for 57 yards.  Didnt really look into the deets on Knox catches but 2 of them were on the final drive of regulation and for first downs.

Both of these guys were instrumental on the last drive of regulation that tied the game.

It isnt lack of Beasley.  Its lack of Dorsey's offense and lack of Josh reading the field.

• Agree 1

What gets me is it’s towards the end of the 3rd quarter we’re up 27-10 and we’re dropping back passing as if we’re down 17 points… Isn’t that the time to be running the ball trying  to run time off the clock yet we’re just dropping back every play slinging it all over… I just don’t get it

3 hours ago, Bimmer323i said:

What gets me is it’s towards the end of the 3rd quarter we’re up 27-10 and we’re dropping back passing as if we’re down 17 points… Isn’t that the time to be running the ball trying  to run time off the clock yet we’re just dropping back every play slinging it all over… I just don’t get it

We did the same in the second half against the Packers. It’s as though they were up a ton, by consistently running the ball, and we were chasing the game. If it doesn’t stand out now it never will - we cannot trust Josh’s passing game.

20 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Late in the 4th quarter, Bills have the lead with 3 minutes left, Vikings have ONE time out. What does Dorsey do? Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt. Runs absolutely no time off the clock. Just horrible play calling.

I said it in the game day thread, this team just refuses to hand the ball off.

Refuses to just line James Cook up in the backfield and give him the ball.

Constantly talking about putting RB’s in the slot, putting 2 of them in the backfield at the same time, and we’ve seen none of that, and never will. 

Why would I as a Bills fan be excited about Nyheim Hines playing slot WR? A small, limited catch radius player?  We already have a faster version of that in McKenzie and he’s completely ineffective.

These delusional thoughts about how to manufacture touches instead of just getting these backs carries. 

This team still can’t get 1-yard when they need it. Been a problem for 3-years now. 

And so Josh will shoulder that load too and take it on himself to run even more. 

6 hours ago, Dan said:

So 5 runs in the 2nd half?  

We called 8 runs in the 2nd half.

The first play of the 2nd half was a 9-yard run by Singletary called back for a hold.

So 7 runs the entire second half. 

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

McKenzie 4 of 5 for 37 yards 1 carry 18 yards. 3 of these were for a first down.  His carry was for a first down.  The other catch was for 8 yards on first down.

Knox 4 of 6 for 57 yards.  Didnt really look into the deets on Knox catches but 2 of them were on the final drive of regulation and for first downs.

Both of these guys were instrumental on the last drive of regulation that tied the game.

It isnt lack of Beasley.  Its lack of Dorsey's offense and lack of Josh reading the field.

Shakir, 1 catch 6 yards on no playing time again. 

Didn't they bring in another coach when Dorsey got the job that had OC experience? Don't recall who it was, but I remember some posters discussing it back then.

Dorsey just needs to stop thinking like a QB. He supposed to help keep Allen on plan, but he seems to be bringing out the " Sugar High" Josh Allen. May need someone with a more calming demeanor. Dorsey gets as Jacked up as Allen does. Maybe even more.

48 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Didn't they bring in another coach when Dorsey got the job that had OC experience? Don't recall who it was, but I remember some posters discussing it back then.

Dorsey just needs to stop thinking like a QB. He supposed to help keep Allen on plan, but he seems to be bringing out the " Sugar High" Josh Allen. May need someone with a more calming demeanor. Dorsey gets as Jacked up as Allen does. Maybe even more.

Aaron Kromer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.