Dorsey’s lack of adjustments in the second half; 12 second half points in the last 3 games

Jerry Jabber

Three weeks in a row, the Bills offense has sputtered badly in the second half of games. Against the Packers and Jets, the Bills scored three points in the second half of each game. Against the Vikings, the Bills scored six points in the second half. Dorsey’s lack of adjustments in the second half is becoming very concerning. 

Another point, I’ve seen a lot of headscratching calls over the years, but doing a QB sneak on the half yard line (by which Morse/Allen fumbled) has to be up there with amongst the dumbest calls I ever seen. I’m normally not the type to start the “fire this guy, fire that guy,” but that call was inexcusable, along with the lack of halftime adjustments. I hope Dorsey doesn’t cost more games with his play calling.

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Three weeks in a row, the Bills offense has sputtered badly in the second half of games. Against the Packers and Jets, the Bills scored three points in the second half of each game. Against the Vikings, the Bills scored six points in the second half. Dorsey’s lack of adjustments in the second half is becoming very concerning. 

Another point, I’ve seen a lot of headscratching calls over the years, but doing a QB sneak on the half yard line (by which Morse/Allen fumbled) has to be up there with amongst the dumbest calls I ever seen. I’m normally not the type to start the “fire this guy, fire that guy,” but that call was inexcusable, along with the lack of halftime adjustments. I hope Dorsey doesn’t cost more games with his play calling.

I disagree with all the takes that it was such a bad call.  At the goal line, the safest play is the QB sneak.  Most teams use it at that field position.  If executed properly, all you have is the exchange from Center to QB, who just has to fall forward to get a yard.

If we had a Derrick Henry, which we don’t, you could give it to him.  With all the players crowded into that small area, taking a snap, turning and handing off to a RB is more risky.  The QB could be tripped, like happened to Cousins twice, the handoff to the RB could be messed up or a defender would have time to shoot thru and nail the RB in the end zone.  The QB sneak is the better option to gain a yard and move out from the end zone.

Regardless of the play call, the problem was the QB/center exchange.   It was cold and wet out there.  Who’s to say a shotgun snap wouldn’t have gone awry?

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I disagree with all the takes that it was such a bad call.  At the goal line, the safest play is the QB sneak.  Most teams use it at that field position.  If executed properly, all you have is the exchange from Center to QB, who just has to fall forward to get a yard.

If we had a Derrick Henry, which we don’t, you could give it to him.  With all the players crowded into that small area, taking a snap, turning and handing off to a RB is more risky.  The QB could be tripped, like happened to Cousins twice, the handoff to the RB could be messed up or a defender would have time to shoot thru and nail the RB in the end zone.  The QB sneak is the better option to gain a yard and move out from the end zone.

Regardless of the play call, the problem was the QB/center exchange.   It was cold and wet out there.  Who’s to say a shotgun snap wouldn’t have gone awry?

At the half yard line, you think a QB sneak is the safest play? I can see a few yards out trying the QB sneak, but at the half yard line, there is zero room for error. I would have rather seen them intentionally take a safety in that position, then what they actually called. 

• Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

Dorsey had shown he’s not ready to lead an NFL team given the fact he couldn’t / didn’t have a better play call for late game scenario we found ourself in. Blame McDermott all we want and he does deserve some of the blame, but the entire play concept of having Allen sneak it from the 1” line up 4 was asinine. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

• Jerry Jabber changed the title to Dorsey’s lack of adjustments in the second half; 12 second half points in the last 3 games
3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

doing a QB sneak on the half yard line (by which Morse/Allen fumbled) has to be up there with amongst the dumbest calls I ever seen

This is not a mistake of play calling, but rather, execution.

You just CAN'T play like that at critical moments and expect to win.

We have been SLOPPY all year long.

That is not championship winning football.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Dorsey is not an NFL caliber OC.  We won’t, but I wish the Bills would look to a veteran OC for next year.  

I'm starting to think they should look at an entirely new coaching staff. Have any of them been worth keeping around?

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Except it's not. You saw what happened...in an attempt to not get a safety the center and QB exchange was not clean due to both players trying to make sure they got a little extra jump.

It appeared Morse tried to go from snap to block too quickly. 

Allen in the gun rolling out and throwing it away if he wasn't able to run for a few yards was the easy call there. It was first down, they had multiple shots to get a few yards, something he was doing well all game.

Or even a fake QB Sneak and then pitch out to Cook or Hines to the outside would have likely done the trick...you know...the old Mike Mulaekey special.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Fraiser seems incapable of making adjustments. Maybe it's old age...

Dorsey seems incompetent at times, but he's a new OC, so dunno.

I've never liked McClappity on gamedays, he's a subpar coach when it comes to calling a game.

Will McDermott be here for the new stadium?, hmm, dunno.

I don't know about McD, but I agree with you on Fraser and Dorsey. Absolute collapse in the 2nd half and no adjustments.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Besides Josh's issues and being careless with the ball, which there's no denying he is, I do find some things about the offense a bit odd.

Mostly it's the personnel and the usage. 4th and 2 and Duke Johnson is on the field? I don't get this babying of Cook. Or the fact that you went and got Hines yet he can't see the field. Where are these mismatches with the LBs? Even on the last play of the game, yes Singletary is wide open in the flat but if it's a passing down, why is it SIngletary over there and not Cook/Hines?

And I don't get why they completely abandon the run in the 2nd and in OT. The run was effective in the 1st half and I'm sure the Vikings adjusted in the 2nd half but that's on Dorsey to counter that. Is the Bills only counter to go out and throw it a ton? In OT there was plenty of time on the clock and every single play was a pass play. It's head scratching.

• Like (+1) 5

I’m not saying Dorsey isn’t partly at fault…. But Allens interceptions and fumble are the reasons we lost these last 2 games. His 3 yard out to Mckenzie landing 5 yards short being a big reason we lost the first game.  

our lord and savior 17 has to be better.  His play was the reason we were the super bowl favorites.  His play is the reason that is changing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 2

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Haven’t we never been stopped on a qb sneak in Josh’s career up to that point?  

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

From my perspective, I think Josh came to the line and saw that the Vikings had stacked the middle. It appeared to me Josh was going to run to the gap on his right. He was so anxious to get there that he didn't secure the snap.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Tennessee last year.   Similarly heartbreaking, awful loss. 

I don’t remember that being a designed sneak…looked like your standard qb scramble with josh calling his own number after taking the snap. I could be wrong though I don’t have the heart to watch these epic losses over again lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Except it's not. You saw what happened...in an attempt to not get a safety the center and QB exchange was not clean due to both players trying to make sure they got a little extra jump.

It appeared Morse tried to go from snap to block too quickly. 

Allen in the gun rolling out and throwing it away if he wasn't able to run for a few yards was the easy call there. It was first down, they had multiple shots to get a few yards, something he was doing well all game.

Or even a fake QB Sneak and then pitch out to Cook or Hines to the outside would have likely done the trick

This——^

lets not forget that we not had to burn a little bit of time. Worst case, you scramble, looking for an open WR and if it’s not there run it. If not, throw it away and take 5+ seconds off the clock. Do that 3 straight times. And even if you don’t get it, do it again a 4th time and take your time running out of the back of the end zone for a safety. Leaving them with about 25-30 seconds, 0 timeouts, and the ball at midfield at best. I’d rather die in that sword. Hope my “mvp caliber” QB can make some heroics happen, and if not, then you lay your hope on the “can’t tackle anyone” defense. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.