Seriously disappointed in this board at how many have turned on Allen

Alphadawg7

11 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Allen is now a 40+ million dollar a year QB.

Like it or not, that comes with a very short leash. 

when you play reckless, have the game in your hands (twice, or three times depending on how you look at it) and fail each time, you are going to get criticized. 

he leads the league in turnovers currently. 

hes playing more like Jamies Winston that he is Josh Allen at the moment. 

I’ve seen hundreds of QB sneaks at the goal line to get out of the end zone. I’ve seen one fumbled snap and that was yesterday. 

josh had Singletary wide open on a check down that’s minimum a first down on the game sealing INT in OT. He chose to throw in to double coverage. 

I still want him as the QB for a long time, I also need him to not turn the ball over. 

It's funny what some people call turning on someone, others will call brutal honesty

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Santana said:

The bandwagon fans are really starting to show over the past 2 weeks. There's a lot of problems with this team, a lot are injury related, a lot are coaching/scheming problems and a lot are on Josh Allen. All things can be true.

I would argue that it is the exact opposite. If we were all "bandwagon" fans, we would just stop paying attention and find something else to occupy our Sundays. It's because we care so much and had such high expectations for this season that we are so upset with this team right now.

What I'm seeing since the bye week is 2019 Josh Allen. There is also something going on where teams are baiting him into INTs. There have been three over the last three games where a DB is playing slightly off the ball and undreneath in zone coverage. Josh sees what he thinks is a wide open receiver. When he begins his windup, the DB jumps the route. It's like almost the exact same thing three times.

I mean the fumbled snap/final int is enough to rag on him for this game.  He wasn’t the only problem but you expect your big money guy to rescue you in situations like that and he hasn’t done it the last few weeks 

im having trouble blaming him for the 4th down int but there is plenty to blame him for without that anyway 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think it's a mixture of Dorsey's play calling and personnel grouping. Why is Duke Johnson on the field on 4th and 2? You have 2 RBs, Cook and Hines, who you sing praises about but instead you put Duke on the field. Why is Quitin Morris on the field on that last play, running a vertical route to the end zone? Why is Singletary out there? You've got Hines/Cook who are your better threats in the receiving game.

I'm not sure if it's Dorsey or who but I find it odd that you have these play makers and yet they can't seem to get them on the field? Why did they have 5 RBs active?

Do agree that Josh's hero ball is more of the problem.

I'm not sure which is the bigger problem, Dorsey's play calling and personnel decisions or Allen's poor decisions at critical moments but the combination of the two in one form or another is causing critical mistakes.  And yes, good question, if you're committed to passing on every down then why not use Cook or Hines as both are a better pass catching option in the back field. 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

You watched it numerous times, what would of happened if Gabe cut in instead of up? 

As we're both dealing in "what ifs" who can say but I stick to my assertion that taking the easy check down to a RB with no defender within 10 yards of them on 2nd and 10 is the easy play likely to result in moving closer to the goal line than throwing into heavy coverage against a defense playing pass all the way.   

4 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm not sure which is the bigger problem, Dorsey's play calling and personnel decisions or Allen's poor decisions at critical moments but the combination of the two in one form or another is causing critical mistakes.  And yes, good question, if you're committed to passing on every down then why not use Cook or Hines as both are a better pass catching option in the back field. 

As we're both dealing in "what ifs" who can say but I stick to my assertion that taking the easy check down to a RB with no defender within 10 yards of them on 2nd and 10 is the easy play likely to result in moving closer to the goal line than throwing into heavy coverage against a defense playing pass all the way.   

Easy to say now….Gabe had position on his man and if he ran in instead of up that’s an easy catch. The play was there. You can’t look back at every missed opportunity and say he should of took check down. Maybe he should of took check down on the pass to Knox as well then. Perfect pass but it was down field and we had time on the clock and it was fist down. So stupid. Gabe breaks in that’s an easy completion. 

TBD, like most fan boards, is a miserable, illogical place after a bad loss. 

Allen's a baller. He's elite. He's fun as Hell to watch. We're lucky to have him. He'll bounce back. But his carelessness of late is unmistakable, and his miscues yesterday directly led to our loss. He puts too much of the game on himself at times, including yesterday. The criticism, much of it at least, is justified. 

Part of not being a crybaby is not being a crybaby about crybabies. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Allen is now a 40+ million dollar a year QB.

Like it or not, that comes with a very short leash. 

when you play reckless, have the game in your hands (twice, or three times depending on how you look at it) and fail each time, you are going to get criticized. 

he leads the league in turnovers currently. 

hes playing more like Jamies Winston that he is Josh Allen at the moment. 

I’ve seen hundreds of QB sneaks at the goal line to get out of the end zone. I’ve seen one fumbled snap and that was yesterday. 

josh had Singletary wide open on a check down that’s minimum a first down on the game sealing INT in OT. He chose to throw in to double coverage. 

I still want him as the QB for a long time, I also need him to not turn the ball over. 

I agree with most of this but not the premise that being a 40M QB comes with a short leash.  It makes the leash impossibly long because he is locked up for so long and eats the cap.  Short leash?  No way.

Want a negative opinion on Allen?  The fans and organization supported him from the jump.  There were negative reports about his abilities, ridiculous rumors of racist tweets, early career flashes of brilliance and of shortcomings, but we locked in on him as our guy pretty quickly.  

Contrast that with Eichel who also came into a rough situation but gradually decided to handle it by being a prick, helping create a toxic losing culture, ultimately pouting his way out of town and saying stupid/ugly things after the fact.

Allen did some great things on and off the field and he was rewarded not only with money but with heretofore unseen showering of emotions from what was already known as one of the most loyal fan bases on the planet.  Fans showed him so much love that a wing of a hospital is now named for his grandmother.  

This off season was full of F1 racing, celebrity golf and national endorsement deals.  Hoo-ray.  But…..this season has thus far been full of a return to sugar high Josh.  Josh is very likable and I doubt anyone begrudges him his celebrity and I doubt anyone would want to watch a prick like Eichel play golf or have him sell their product.  But the fact remains that he has won exactly nothing and maybe being a celebrity was more of the end goal than winning because he sure tried to be one all day yesterday when all he had to do at certain times was be normal.  He out “dumb played” Cousins which is difficult.  Win something, then be a celebrity dude.  That way you know how to win.

There were 100 things that could have changed the result of yesterday’s game and not all of them involved Allen, but on multiple occasions all he had to do was something normal.  A check down….a throw away….pay attention during a friggin snap.  But…..sugar high instead.  

Right now has to be the turning point.  Either Allen grows up and becomes a QB of a team instead of trying to be everything on every play or the heart ripping we all experienced yesterday will last another decade or more.  Which would be harder to take, throwing away a prick like Eichel or watching Allen be capable of doing all the difficult things and fail/refuse to learn how to do the easy things?

The season is not over.  The Allen era is not over.  But what is clear is that Allen hasn’t actually done the things a winner does to correct the mistakes of the past.  He has talked about it enough and said all the right things.  I believe his intentions are the right ones, but he simply has not taken the actions to correct what should be relatively easy things.  We can have a thousand healthy safeties and corners all we want but without Allen being smart to at least some degree, we won’t win 3-4 post season games in a row.

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Easy to say now….Gabe had position on his man and if he ran in instead of up that’s an easy catch. The play was there. You can’t look back at every missed opportunity and say he should of took check down. Maybe he should of took check down on the pass to Knox as well then. Perfect pass but it was down field and we had time on the clock and it was fist down. So stupid. Gabe breaks in that’s an easy completion. 

Shirley you’re not blaming Gabe for that pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He was on point almost all day except for the toss on 4th and 2… Numerous balls got dirted, 3 hit WRs hands and they couldn’t bring in the ball. He took what was given to him plenty of times. That last pass the play was there if Gabe runs the correct route. He turns in instead of up and that ball hits him just before the endzone. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If Allen doesn't play MVP caliber football the Bills don't win. It's totally unreasonable imo to expect him to play perfect football game in and game out

There isn't another QB in the league that is required to carry his offensive workload....he has to be the RB and make up for a bad oline and questionable pass catchers. He's the entire offense.

No doubt his receivers make mistakes, the OL misses' assignments, and the running game is not reliable.  Add in that our defense is decimated with injuries, especially the entire backfield.  

The perception that Allen must carry the team and make all the big plays is the problem.   I don't know if Allen puts it all on himself or not, but this is a team game.   I just wonder what the OC is doing to help his QB manage the stress of the game and keep him steady.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He was on point almost all day except for the toss on 4th and 2… Numerous balls got dirted, 3 hit WRs hands and they couldn’t bring in the ball. He took what was given to him plenty of times. That last pass the play was there if Gabe runs the correct route. He turns in instead of up and that ball hits him just before the endzone. 

Ridiculous.  There were multiple Vikings there….at least 3 maybe 4.  The Bills had no issues with time, down and distance or field position.  26 was standing alone in front of an open field.  Beyond that, an incompletion, failed run, successful run or even a sack were far better options than what he did.  

• Agree 2

A wise sage one said, "Look before you Leap". Split second decision making is not easy. JA and most decision makers must have a clear diagram of the situation. Clear the head, see the field, make a decision that allows for positive results. 

Slow down everyone, we still have multiple games left. 

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

No doubt his receivers make mistakes, the OL misses' assignments, and the running game is not reliable.  Add in that our defense is decimated with injuries, especially the entire backfield.  

The perception that Allen must carry the team and make all the big plays is the problem.   I don't know if Allen puts it all on himself or not, but this is a team game.   I just wonder what the OC is doing to help his QB manage the stress of the game and keep him steady.  

He’s all grown up now.  He needs to keep himself steady because if he doesn’t learn to do that he will never be able to consistently win.  Blaming Davis or expecting Dorsey to carry a binky are short term fixes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m not gonna name names, but there are some pretty stupid comments about our QB around here right now.  I’ve never seen a bigger group of ungrateful cry babies than a bunch of people around these parts the last few weeks.  

This guy lays it all on the line on every play.  Yeah, he has had a handful of plays the past few weeks that are not what we are accustomed to seeing from him.  But I see idiotic comments comparing him to Wentz, saying he isn’t living up to his contract, he’s been trash, etc etc.  

First, how about some appreciation he even played today, and WITHOUT pain killers in his elbow.  How about how he was the only reason we were even in this game.  How about how he didn’t even look to protect himself despite playing hurt while scrambling to all game trying to win.  He’s a warrior on every play and played hurt today.  

How quickly y’all forget what life around used to be before we were blessed with Allen.  How about rallying around our guy?  Don’t have to make excuses for him, he doesn’t either.  But the amount of people straight throwing him under the bus is pathetic.

End of the day…despite the offensive miscues…We are essentially 2 missed FGs and a miracle catch by Jefferson (that might have been the greatest catch I’ve ever seen) from being undefeated.  Despite missing half our defense in all 3 losses.  

When we were healthy we were destroying teams.  Offense has had 3 bad second halves in a row, now it’s time for Dorsey and Allen to figure out what is going wrong in the second half and make adjustments.

I for one have all the confidence in the world still in Josh that we will figure this out.  

You don't have to agree with every post, but everyone has a right to their own opinion.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

End of the day…despite the offensive miscues…We are essentially 2 missed FGs and a miracle catch by Jefferson (that might have been the greatest catch I’ve ever seen) from being undefeated.  Despite missing half our defense in all 3 losses.  

When we were healthy we were destroying teams.  Offense has had 3 bad second halves in a row, now it’s time for Dorsey and Allen to figure out what is going wrong in the second half and make adjustments.

I for one have all the confidence in the world still in Josh that we will figure this out.  

This x 1000 ...

I said in another thread that the worst part about a loss are the weeks worth of abysmal hot takes from a contingent of fans on this here board. 

Once again, they lost due to self inflicted mistakes. Losing Edmunds hurt as well. Minnesota scored 10 points and had been going 3 and out for most of the first half. Soon as Edmunds went out, bam, Vikings start moving the ball. At the end of it all, tho, the defense comes thru with the big 4th down stop and then the offense botches the snap and Minnesota gets the lucky break. Even with that, they still go and tie it and had a chance to tie again but Josh forced it. Kid just wants to win, can't blame him for going down swinging. 

Some of y'all gotta allow room for defeat. Sucks to lose but no team wins them all. And if it's any consolation, Minnesota's model for victory is not sustainable. They had to have so many things break their way to eek outta there with a win. If Edmunds doesn't go out, they win that game. 

Shake it off. Regroup and go slap the Browns.

Good post, OP. 

• Disagree 2

33 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Not really.   The initial play was already well covered, and the initial pass patterns were completed.  Allen bought more time by getting out of the pocket rolling right, at this point the receivers are scrambling to get open so you cannot blame Davis for the route he runs, it is now street football.  There were at least 3 Vikings there near Davis when Allen threw it. 

Peterson said after the game that he was free to sit on Allen and watch him after he escaped the pocket.  Peterson also said Allen tries to fit the ball into tight windows rather than "take what was given".   What was given was #26 all alone just past the line of scrimmage.   The smart and safe play was to throw it to #26, get more yards and live for another down.  Instead, Allen forced another bad pass, and the savvy veteran picked it.  

This is not on Davis, or the OL, or anyone else.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.