Allen: "The Fumble" Context

Mikie2times

I am haunted by something I said yesterday just before the snap.

We're relieved by the stand on 4th and goal. My daughter says "Thank God this is over".

She's 31 and loves sports and especially sports movies.

I told her.  They are on their own  1 with 40 seconds left. Haven't you seen "All the Right Moves?"

She said no, One of the rare films she hasn't seen.

After the play I told "Well....you don't have to see it now. You just saw it"

Unbelievable. The Karmic, superstitious part of me thinks it's my fault.🙄

33 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

The thinking man would have burned a delay of game (what do you lose, 3 inches?) and tried like hell to draw them Offside. You get them to jump, you win. Plain and simple.

If that ends up failing, I guess you stick with the same play you ran anyway.

Interesting.  Is there a limit I the rules to how any delay of games in a row can happen before it’s called a safety?  Could they have kept trying until next Thursday?

11 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Why not roll out Josh? If he's sure he can gain a yard or two, let him run. If he thinks he'll get sacked, throw the ball away.

Yeap, McDermott should have went to Josh before the series and said immediately roll to the right out of the pocket and if you have the opportunity to run, then do it, if not launch it as far as you can.  How many seconds would have came off it they did that three times.  Probably gets you down to 15 secs on 4th.  At that point to look into a safety.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I didn’t say we’re at that point.   

He’s rebuilt the team with Beane and Allen is THE reason for the success.  

So that it?  He’s untouchable because he’s benefiting from everything being awful here for 20 years.  

Nope.  Excellence only.  And avoid losses for the ages.  

When the 'Fire McD' thread popped up last season, my only contribution was to contemplate "what if he's a Dan Reeves" type figure. A guy that can always make his team competitive and just on the cusp of greatness, but never seal the deal.

Elway was 37 when he finally won his first Super Bowl. They had fired Reeves and brought back his former OC, Mike Shanahan. 

And I put it out to the board, when do we ask that question? 

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

The thinking man would have burned a delay of game (what do you lose, 3 inches?) and tried like hell to draw them Offside. You get them to jump, you win. Plain and simple.

If that ends up failing, I guess you stick with the same play you ran anyway.

yep.  That’s what I said above.  There’s no downside to trying to draw them Offside at least once.  And probably a better than 70% chance the Vikings would’ve jumped.  And even if they don’t, it makes them think twice about jumping the snap.  

McDermott hasn’t shown the ability to think on his feet.  Josh hasn’t for that matter either.  

The 49ers ran a QB sneak for a TD against the Chargers last night, sometime in the second half.  From the one.  The Chargers had three defensive linemen nose-to-nose with them.  They were lined up on the goal line, their heads between the one and the goal line.  After the play, all three of those guys were two-yards+ deep in the end zone.   One center and two guards, alone, drove all three of them back there. 

There's been continuing discussion on this board about how the Bills ignore the offensive line in the top of the draft.   Yesterday, again, they paid the price for bottom feeding for offensive linemen.  

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Interesting.  Is there a limit I the rules to how any delay of games in a row can happen before it’s called a safety?  Could they have kept trying until next Thursday?

I think you have a decent chance of drawing them off the first time, especially if you rush to the line and follow your normal cadences. The defenders would be so keyed up to stop that dive.

Have no clue if there's a limit, but even one hard sell (to the point your OL move, how does that hurt you as well?) gets them to be even more cognizant on the next one.

12 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Why not roll out Josh? If he's sure he can gain a yard or two, let him run. If he thinks he'll get sacked, throw the ball away.

If we hold in the end zone, it's a safety and we're back to square one. 

The sneak was the right call, just poorly executed

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

…it is the first time that if he didn’t fumble the snap, the game would have been over. 

That is true. 

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. First time .. okay, a freak thing. That he has now done it twice is concerning.

Allen has a hard time under center with a QB sneak.  He cost us this game and he cost us Tennessee game last yea, also recall the Dallas Thanksgiving day fumble which he did pick up and wrestled for a massive first down.'

I dont trust Josh at all on QB sneaks.

Brady at his peak was almost a guaranteed first down on QB sneaks, so quick and fluid, Allen is not, a lot of excess motion and kinda of lumbers through it allowing the defense a micro second longer to get to the ball.

• He needs extensive practice or we should abandoned QB sneaks,
8 minutes ago, damj said:

According to WGR this isn't the first time Josh has fumbled a snap inside his own one.

How many snaps has he taken inside huis own one, in his entire pro career yesterday may have been the first.

Are people really questioning the sneak!?!? The problem is Josh sucks at sneaks.  He fumbles and slips and for some reason can’t execute them.  The team now designs it where Davis or a TE motions over and pushes Allen forward bc he can’t get them on his own.  It’s embarrassing really.

Edited by peterpan

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They had 3 downs to make sure we get out of the endzone to be able to run the clock out. The sneak was dumb because everyone knew it was coming. Allen running from the shotgun to the outside would have likely sealed the game.

Everyone knows a run is coming on 4th and inches yet it’s somehow nearly impossible to stop. 

I’ve seen that play countless times, I’ve only seen it botched that badly once, and that was yesterday. 

the call was fine, the execution was not. 

7 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I didn't like the call, because it was too obvious. In my opinion, the safety is worse in that situation. Why can't we just run our offense? Would we normally try a sneak from that close in? Use Josh's legs, with th run/pass option.

We were out coached all game.

4 games in a row now.  If Green Bay wasn't a dumpster fire things might be even worse

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.