Allen: "The Fumble" Context

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s a stupid stupid play. Mind boggling stupid. A QB sneak should never be attempted on your own goaline. Especially with the personnel we have. It’s why I’m officially done with McD/Dorsey. 

You have a 250 pound 6 foot 5 quarterback and you have had zero problems with snaps between him and Morse all game and maybe the season?  It's the safest play you could do with the least likelihood of taking a safety.  Allen blew it in the worst possible way but you have to trust your 43 million dollar man to handle the snap cleanly.  Allen absolutely choked but it was the right call.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Beast said:

I don’t know if the sneak was the proper call. Why? Because we arguably have the worst interior line in the league. 

What is the proper call there? I’m not sure. Maybe a quick pitch to the outside? A greater chance for a loss and a safety but the Bills had some success today outside running the ball. Maybe a quick pass from the shotgun? 

Honestly I was saying throw the ball. Possibly early in the season they throw it. Maybe coaches lost a little confidence in Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

The big problem I see is that we are doing the Gabe push way too often.  The defense knew when we were going to snap the ball because Davis stopped behind Josh.   Dorsey isn't calling anything different week to week and defenses have figured us out.  Dorsey is new and I expect this from him.  McDermott is not and he has veto power.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The context is how bad the OL is. Allen knows they’re about to get blown back and you can see it coming as soon as the lines form up for the snap. Allen panics and presses. It’s happened time and time again. 

The question is: why QB sneak it when you know you have no leverage, no push from the OL? Should have been some kind of rollout (shotgun?) where Allen has the chance to run for a couple yards or throw it away.

10 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Why not roll out Josh? If he's sure he can gain a yard or two, let him run. If he thinks he'll get sacked, throw the ball away.

Now that the pain has subsided a little I’ve come around to the sneak…I don’t think we had ever been stopped on a traditional qb sneak up to that point in the josh Allen era and now you add in the fact that he can get pushed from behind.  

the rollout SHOULDVE been riskier but of course we all have the power of hindsight now lol 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

^^^ This is all that needs to be said. 

Yep…a rollout you’ve got the same snap risk and you’re risking ints too imo.  Unfortunately we had two 100 to 1 miracle plays go against us this game 

Of course it never should’ve come to that though 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

21 minutes ago, without a drought said:

If you can't get the snap right, it doesn't matter what the play was.

Clear difference between Allen rushing a snap where he knows he has to burrow forward behind a blown up line vs. a snap where he can move back and away from pressure.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m officially done with McD/Dorsey. 

Just wondering, is there an office, like the County Clerk's Office, where you have to record that you're done in order for it to be "official"?  Otherwise you could just revoke it or deny it and then what's the point?

Maybe it's like the Putative Father Registry (yes, there really is such a thing).

5 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

The MNF game last year at Tennessee on fourth down and a yard to go.

I don’t think that was a designed sneak but I’ll check it out again cuz a couple people have said that…looked like a different play where josh had the option of calling his own number 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Beast said:

I don’t know if the sneak was the proper call. Why? Because we arguably have the worst interior line in the league. 

Yup.  Maybe strait up worst OL in the league.  Is Dawkins supposed to be good?  All i've seen of him the last 3 games or so is being an example of how not to play OL

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I thought it was the correct call.  Just horrible execution and a complete choke job.  Better days ahead.

Yeah,  I don't have an issue with the playcall.  It's been working all year and it's the only thing resembling a consistent short yardage play that they have. 

I just think a snap from the shotgun spreads a defense out more and gives a better opportunity, whether Allen or the RB carry the ball or a pass. That Minnesota defense was stacked over center. Yes, maybe they don’t get caught for a safety with a clean exchange. I’m just not betting on that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.