Allen: "The Fumble" Context

Mikie2times

55 minutes ago, Beast said:

I don’t know if the sneak was the proper call. Why? Because we arguably have the worst interior line in the league. 

What is the proper call there? I’m not sure. Maybe a quick pitch to the outside? A greater chance for a loss and a safety but the Bills had some success today outside running the ball. Maybe a quick pass from the shotgun? 

Probably a QB Power sweep from shotgun, with the ability to chuck it at a TE's feet if someone shoots the gap and threatens a safety. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

1986 was the last time a defensive score took the lead inside 1 min left. Nearly 40 freaking years…

Glad to be part of yet another anomalous loss. Throw it up on the list with the others of the last couple of years. 🙄

Burn it all.

Hey Von….

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It's really tough when you can't reliably win short yardage situations on offense

Then this isn’t a SB team.

Im putting the blame for this on Dorsey and Kromer because last year we had something going with Motor. 

And apparently Hines is going to take a month to learn the playbook.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

You know what I mean.  He inherited in Indy an elite Offense that needed a defense/leadership change.  Peyton was on track to be in the HOF.  

Josh may have that scenario some day to. 

No I don't know what you mean.  Bailing on McDermott now would be the dumbest thing the Bills have done since hiring Rex.

They used to say the same thing about Tom Landry circa 1966.  Not saying he's the second coming of Landry, but don't jump too soon on a HC with a winning record and playoffs 4 out of 5 years IMHO.

And again, after being fired he won a SB elsewhere.  

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Agree 1

Just now, reddogblitz said:

No I don't know what you mean.  Bailing on McDermott now would be the dumbest thing the Bills have done since hiring Rex.

I didn’t say we’re at that point.   

He’s rebuilt the team with Beane and Allen is THE reason for the success.  

So that it?  He’s untouchable because he’s benefiting from everything being awful here for 20 years.  

Nope.  Excellence only.  And avoid losses for the ages.  

Just now, Big Blitz said:

I didn’t say we’re at that point.   

He’s rebuilt the team with Beane and Allen is THE reason for the success.  

So that it?  He’s untouchable because he’s benefiting from everything being awful here for 20 years.  

Nope.  Excellence only.  And avoid losses for the ages.  

I disagree.  McDermott is a huge part of the winning.  Somehow he was even able to get us to playoffs with Hotrod Taylor at QB.  He's a smart coach.  

He's not benefiting from 20 years of futility, he's benefiting from a 55-34 record and taking his TEAM to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years.    And winning 3 playoff games.

I say just let him do his thing.  Be patient.  And absolutely things can get a lot worse.

You remind me of all the Baltimore Ravens fans who said they could dominate if they just dumped Trent Dilfer.  They did and got nowhere close for years.  

We all want excellence.  

I agree he makes bad decisions sometimes and pulled a few boners today, but I'm sticking with him.  I like winning.

And 1 guy even if he is the great Josh Allen can't do it all himself.  Or maybe we should just name Josh as player coach.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

They used to say the same thing about Tom Landry circa 1966.  Not saying he's the second coming of Landry, but don't jump too soon on a HC with a winning record and playoffs 4 out of 5 years IMHO.

And again, after being fired he won a SB elsewhere.  

You’ve got no idea what you’re talking about. 
Landry won 2 super bowls with cowboys. 
then got let go by jj and never coached in the nfl again

• Like (+1) 1

What being able to consider the safety affords us is a chance to run other plays in the playbook knowing that an incomplete is not a problem and even a sack isn’t the end of the world. The push the middle up the middle seems to work for everyone else, but isn’t our best play. I definitely favor roll out or short pass for diggs. The fumbled snap is a heart breaker and if we execute that poorly any play in the playbook we will lose, but even with a secured snap I don’t think that is as likely to help us run out the clock as other options. 

This game should help harden us into a champion, but the it could cost us home field and that is an expensive price to pay for a lesson. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

You’ve got no idea what you’re talking about. 
Landry won 2 super bowls with cowboys. 
then got let go by jj and never coached in the nfl again

Actually I know a TON about the Landry era cuz my Dad worked for them and we were huge fans and went to every home game for years and watched all the road games on TV.

I'm sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear.  @Big Blitz thinks we should consider moving on from Coach McDermott due to not winning a Super Bowl in 5 years.  My point was that a lot of people were saying in Dallas that they should move on from Landry for similar reasons.  Then in 1967 and 20 years after he was among the best.  There was also a "can't win the big one" stage after the Ice Bowl and the NFL Championship game loss the year before at home against the Packers. 

My point being don't make your move too soon.

The "He" I was referring to was Tony Dungy.  Sorry. My bad.  Should have paid more attention in English class.

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Why not roll out Josh? If he's sure he can gain a yard or two, let him run. If he thinks he'll get sacked, throw the ball away.

Every year some new situation happens with this staff.  Situational communication continues to be the one issue these historical ways of losing have in common.  Mcd and dorsey made several errors like refusing to take the fg or passing 3 straight downs on second and two. This is something Mcd has happened yearly ; some spectacular , unexplainable loss each year.  Historical ways of losing and the process is still flawed.  Concerning for the future practically.  They have to be in Joshs ear when at the twenty ,,,,hey worse is we tie , plenty of time.  But they miscommunicate or don’t at all and Josh gets impatient.  This is groundhogs day! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s a stupid stupid play. Mind boggling stupid. A QB sneak should never be attempted on your own goaline. Especially with the personnel we have. It’s why I’m officially done with McD/Dorsey. 

If it's so official that you are done, what are you going to do for the next decade with McDermott at the helm?

And let's be honest, have you ever really been a supporter?

5 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I agree with call but the issue is that, in hindsight, maybe one play in shotgun would have been good as everyone knew that was coming and for whatever reason Josh in tight situation (tn game last year) chokes sometimes.  Why didn’t we do the Gabe push there. It may have at least allowed for fumble recovery. Who knows. 8 year old can snap the ball. Unreal loss

We did. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I don't think a lot of Bills fans are suggesting we should have deliberately taken a safety.

That is certainly not my position.

My position is that we have to execute basic plays, like a center/QB exchange, more trouble free if we are going to go ANYWHERE in the post season.

This team has been SLOPPY all season long.  When you are beating the snot out of a bad team early in the season, it doesn't matter.  It can and eventually WILL catch up to you, though.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.