The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

13 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The 80 yard touchdown run was inexcusable. You can’t give up that type of play on the ground with a lead. If the opponent is going to run, at least make them use up some clock. The defense is quite depleted, but we constantly give up big runs. It reminded me of the long run Taylor had for the Colts when we got crushed at home last season. Being dominated by the run and giving up long runs has been a theme, regardless of who’s on the field. That’s a scheme/coaching issue imo. 

It's been a tackling issue. Scheme hasn't been the problem.

3 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I would start by maybe blitzing an immobile QB to force more passes into severely inexperienced DB's who struggle to cover. That would be a pretty easy start. But Frazier will die on the "I dont blitz" hill for some reason. 

So you want to put our 6th round, 7th round, and undrafted back-up DBs in 1 on 1 man coverage?

EDIT: We tried this and got burned on it multiple times, btw.

Edited by HoofHearted

12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

3rd year in a tow allowing a 70 yard plus run I believe.  All season the ru. D has been super soft.  No adjustment by Frazier or McD.  

What's the adjustment that should be made to stop that run yesterday?

12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

poor fundamentals all over the secondary.  On Jefferson’s TD over Jackson, Jackson had his back to the ball the whole time

When you are out of phase this is what is taught - play the receivers hands not the ball.

17 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I would start by maybe blitzing an immobile QB to force more passes into severely inexperienced DB's who struggle to cover. That would be a pretty easy start. But Frazier will die on the "I dont blitz" hill for some reason. 

Frazier is an old stubborn fool who regardless of the opponent or situation  will always go to his tired old rush 4 philosophy. It didn't work in Houston. It didn't work with 13 seconds and it didn't work yesterday. With as horrible as Josh played,  30 points in the NFL should be enough. But McD & Leslie are joined at the hip. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

most of the threads here seem to be about Allen and his horrid play of late (and I'll be the first to say that he has been really bad), but is the defense getting yet ANOTHER free pass today?

The Vikes had their highest yardage output of the season today and converted countless 3rd & 4th and long plays.  I frankly don't even remember the last time Minnesota punted.    Did anyone honestly think that the D would force a punt in OT?  

Up 27-10 late in the third quarter, the Vikes gash the Bills for an 81-yard TD (let me guess, Sean - bad run fit, and you'll get that fixed!), score a TD on their next drive, and then march 75 yards, only to get stopped on 4th and goal from the 1.  In OT, they fairly easily drove downfield for the GW FG.

Is this the mark of a good defense?

#1 Defense is the narrative the last 2 years and I'm sick of it. Nobody with eyes and a mediocre football IQ can tell me this is a #1 Defense.

Allen and the offense more times than not jumped out to a two score lead only to watch Frazier and his highly touted D let it slowly erode. Allen after doing his part is then tasked to ramp up the offense again after the other team has made adjustments. 

You would think a Top defense can protect a two score lead especially when your offense scored 27 points before the 4th quarter. An 80 yard TD run, multiple 4th down conversions including the catch of the year. Stupid PIs and USP conduct calls. #1 D? 😂

You want to make excuses like half the starters are out, ok it's a valid point. But these are professionals, we're not asking you to hold a 3 point lead with 5 minutes left.

This team is not a #1 D even when 100% healthy. They're good enough but far from dominant.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Someone please explain to me why a QB s sneak (a play allen has already said he doss not like) is the best option for play call on 1st down from your own half yard line?

Seems scary AF to me. Someone explain it to me like I am a 2 year old plz

It's the quickest hitting play with the least amount of chance to allow a defender to shoot a gap for a TFL and the ball is only exchanged once.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on.  It's not "inexplicable".  That ball was sailing over Jeffersons head--naturally the DB is going to put his hands together thinking he's catching an INT.  Jefferson makes an insane catch.  That's not one I'm putting on Lewis.  

You got me. There's an "explanation". Maybe I should have said, under the circumstances, the decision to go for the INT was indefensible. It was the single most boneheaded play in a game full of them, in my opinion, and it cost them the game. If the ball falls to the turf, as it should have, the game was over. It showed a total lack of situational awareness.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Frazier is an old stubborn fool who regardless of the opponent or situation  will always go to his tired old rush 4 philosophy. It didn't work in Houston. It didn't work with 13 seconds and it didn't work yesterday. With as horrible as Josh played,  30 points in the NFL should be enough. But McD & Leslie are joined at the hip. 

It was enough. Defense held them to 23 points in regulation despite missing 5 starters.

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They did blitz yesterday. Put our back-up DBs in man coverage. It didn't work out real well as I'm sure you could already figure.

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

#1 Defense is the narrative the last 2 years and I'm sick of it. Nobody with eyes and a mediocre football IQ can tell me this is a #1 Defense.

Allen and the offense more times than not jumped out to a two score lead only to watch Frazier and his highly touted D let it slowly erode. Allen after doing his part is then tasked to ramp up the offense again after the other team has made adjustments. 

You would think a Top defense can protect a two score lead especially when your offense scored 27 points before the 4th quarter. An 80 yard TD run, multiple 4th down conversions including the catch of the year. Stupid PIs and USP conduct calls. #1 D? 😂

You want to make excuses like half the starters are out, ok it's a valid point. But these are professionals, we're not asking you to hold a 3 point lead with 5 minutes left.

This team is not a #1 D even when 100% healthy. They're good enough but far from dominant.

We're not a top 10 defense.  I don't care what the stats and analytics say. Maybe with 100% of our defense healthy but that hasn't been the case this year and missing Tre last year.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It's been a tackling issue. Scheme hasn't been the problem.

So you want to put our 6th round, 7th round, and undrafted back-up DBs in 1 on 1 man coverage?

EDIT: We tried this and got burned on it multiple times, btw.

You have 2 choices, man for a shorter window, or a soft zone and a prayer that these guys can cover extended plays, this defense lacks the flexibility for any middle, which is why good offenses have torched it for years 

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

You have 2 choices, man for a shorter window, or a soft zone and a prayer that these guys can cover extended plays, this defense lacks the flexibility for any middle, which is why good offenses have torched it for years 

We bring fire zones all the time (which is this "middle ground" you speak of).

I would like to blame it on the injuries.  

But games like yesterday have become the hallmark of a Sean McDermott/Leslie Frazier defense.

Sure, they can beat-up on all the crappy QBs.  They have no problem capitalizing with sacks/turnovers when the opponent is playing from behind, and desperate to push the ball downfield.  At the end of the season, they can boast about another Top 5 ranking.  Hooray.  It's all just fools gold.

Their run defense is awful again.  They continue to get blown off the line, and miss tackles.  

They had yet another mental mistake on 3rd/4th and a mile, somehow failing AGAIN to knock the ball to the ground.

And before anyone praises them for the 4th down stop at the end... the refs missed them having 12 men on the field.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, transient said:

You got me. There's an "explanation". Maybe I should have said, under the circumstances, the decision to go for the INT was indefensible. It was the single most boneheaded play in a game full of them, in my opinion, and it cost them the game. If the ball falls to the turf, as it should have, the game was over. It showed a total lack of situational awareness.

He comes over the top of Jefferson's head to knock the ball out, he thinking he gets a PI.  

Not even close to the most boneheaded play:  the QB sneak choice and either of Josh's RZ INTs tossed right to Defenders are the top 3. 

10 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

The vast majority of our blitzes are fire zones, actually.

And this stuff isn't new, last year was probably the best version of this defense. 299 points allowed in 17 games. 17.5 per. But they still gave up, 41, 34, and 33 respectively. In losses to contending teams. Promptly followed by 42 in the KC loss, I don't need a defense to stop Davis Mills, but players like Mahomes 

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He comes over the top of Jefferson's head to knock the ball out, he thinking he gets a PI.  

Not even close to the most boneheaded play:  the QB sneak choice and either of Josh's RZ INTs tossed right to Defenders are the top 3. 

I don't know what play you were watching or what you think you saw, but he had every opportunity to knock the ball down and was in the perfect position to do it. The only reason Jefferson was even able to make that catch was because of the way Lewis played it going for the INT. Lewis even lamented that he DIDN'T try to bat the ball down after the fact. It was 4th down. Even if it wouldn't have ended the game, which it would have, why the hell would you try to intercept it anyway. In the best case scenario he catches it and it costs the team 30 yards in field position. It's an inexcusable mistake in the best of circumstances, and yesterday it cost them the game. 

3 minutes ago, transient said:

I don't know what play you were watching or what you think you saw, but he had every opportunity to knock the ball down and was in the perfect position to do it. The only reason Jefferson was even able to make that catch was because of the way Lewis played it going for the INT. Lewis even lamented that he DIDN'T try to bat the ball down after the fact. It was 4th down. Even if it wouldn't have ended the game, which it would have, why the hell would you try to intercept it anyway. In the best case scenario he catches it and it costs the team 30 yards in field position. It's an inexcusable mistake in the best of circumstances, and yesterday it cost them the game. 

Huh?

It clearly did not cost them the game as the the Vikings didn't score!  They turned it over on downs (aided by the Bills D with 12 men on the field).  

The Bills had 2 more possessions in regulation--the one leading, one behind.  The fumble in the EZ cost them the game in regulation.

The lazy int toss by Josh cost them the game in OT.

What are you talking about?

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.