The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

There is no excuse for how poorly Allen is playing. A fumbled snap on the goal line??? That is high school level nonsense. He has been reckless with the ball all year.

This is true, but TEAM execution has been incredibly sloppy all year long too! It's often been masked b/c we had a comfortable lead against bad teams.

But it does matter and it WILL bite you come playoff time, when only solid teams are playing.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Missing Pieces

Poyer

Hyde

Edmunds (2nd half)

White

Elam

Groot

Bills Starting Secondary Today:

- 6th Rd CB Rookie!

- 6th Rd S

- 7th Rd CB

- Undrafted S (First start)

Yet they still came up with huge stops (4th and goal, 3 points in OT) and created multiple take aways.

Be mad that we gave up 30 points in regulation all you want, but don’t ignore the fact they were severely hampered by injury and their coaching staff refused to try and do anything brazen to  create an advantage

Coaches like ol Les F need to do a better job of adjusting 

Did you notice Edmunds out for the second half? 😆 🤣 

💥💥💥Boom!

There, I said... Have fun with that one "Edmunds sucks" people.

Actually, the D did it's job, they bent, but didn't break... Stopped them and had game won. Offensive fumbled in their own end zone.  

D played decent. So far all 3 losses were for a combined: 8 points.

Vikings got lucky and Bills snake bit (again).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, motorj said:

The way the D was built early on the season was meant to be shutting teams down in the 13pt per game range. I don't see how the bills thinks a bunch of no name backups are enough to replace the injured backfield

So you're saying they'll blow a ton more resources on the defense this off-season?

Yay 

There are so many plays we can point to in the loss but to me it was the Cook 81-yard TD run that changed the game. Bills just kicked a FG go up 27-10 with 1:51 left in the 3rd quarter. Not 1st half, not early or midway thru the 3rd quarter but late 3rd quarter they have a three-score lead. Even if the Vikings score on that drive at least make them do it in 10 plays or so and use clock. No, they score instantly and now the lead is cut to 10 and still in the 3rd quarter. The Bills never had control of the game or momentum from that point on. Even when they came back to tie it at 30 I still didn't feel good because OT is always a crap shoot.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Absolutely not, but I definitely believe Tre takes that as a pick. 

Nah, Tre's not taking that ball away from Jefferson.

9 hours ago, MPT said:

Lewis had two hands on the ball and let Jefferson rip it away with one hand while falling backwards. It was 100% on Lewis.

there was never a point where there were not 3 hands on the ball.  Jefferson in front of Lewis had position to pull it away.  It would have been a n insane INT if Lewis came down with it.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The defense is missing White, Hyde, Poyer, Elam, Rousseau and now Edmunds. 

That is over half the starters. 

I'm not saying the defense is great, but they at least have an excuse. 

There is no excuse for how poorly Allen is playing. A fumbled snap on the goal line??? That is high school level nonsense. He has been reckless with the ball all year.

This

7 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

We’re missing almost half the defense. I’m not too concerned about the D. 

I really feel like I’m takin crazy pills here lol like I get being disappointed after a loss and wanting to flame everybody but missing 5 or 6 all pro caliber defensive players in the same game is not ‘normal’ by any means.  Yet people keep saying ‘every team has injuries’. 

yea sure the offense could’ve bailed them out twice in a row and they failed spectacularly but this defense is about to get a ton of help. The defense essentially won the game on an epic goal line stand with a bunch of backups and practice squad level guys.  

If we end up missing out on the division no one will want to play us as the 6 or 7 seed imo.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

Didnt we give up over 500 yards?

Close....but we've been told that yards don't matter.

9 hours ago, gobills404 said:

The defense allowed 23 points in regulation, which is below the Vikings season average and less than what the Bills had AT HALFTIME. Allen gave this game away, plain and simple.

26 points allowed overall, which is above the Vikes' season average

Vikes were above their season averages in 3rd down conversion %, passing yards and rushing yards (and obviously, total yards), and were at their average in 4th down  conversion %.

When was the last Vikings punt?

14 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I really feel like I’m takin crazy pills here lol like I get being disappointed after a loss and wanting to flame everybody but missing 5 or 6 all pro caliber defensive players in the same game is not ‘normal’ by any means.  Yet people keep saying ‘every team has injuries’. 

yea sure the offense could’ve bailed them out twice in a row and they failed spectacularly but this defense is about to get a ton of help. The defense essentially won the game on an epic goal line stand with a bunch of backups and practice squad level guys.  

If we end up missing out on the division no one will want to play us as the 6 or 7 seed imo.  

Who?

5 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Close....but we've been told that yards don't matter.

26 points allowed overall, which is above the Vikes' season average

Vikes were above their season averages in 3rd down conversion %, passing yards and rushing yards (and obviously, total yards), and were at their average in 4th down  conversion %.

When was the last Vikings punt?

Who?

Rousseau who is quietly playing out of his mind

poyer

i wouldn’t count edmunds as all pro caliber but he is significantly better than his replacement so same kind of deal…when edmunds went down it was like a switch flipped

tre white

Hyde who isn’t returning but when another safety gets hurt in the same game and poyer is already missing it becomes relevant

Previous week against the jets it was a little more valid as we were missing a lot of those guys and Milano instead of edmunds.  

a bit of hyperbole on my part obviously but when people say ‘every team has injuries’ it’s usually a team missing 1 or 2 high impact players then some players where there isn’t a big dropoff in the depth chart like us missing Elam.  We have just been snake bitten this year and all the wrong guys are getting banged up on the defensive side 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah, Tre's not taking that ball away from Jefferson.

there was never a point where there were not 3 hands on the ball.  Jefferson in front of Lewis had position to pull it away.  It would have been a n insane INT if Lewis came down with it.

You may be correct, but a 6’ 195 lb corner has a better shot of making that play than a 5’9” 180 pound corner.  It definitely wouldn’t have been an insane play either, just an excellent  interception that gets made by someone several times a season. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

You may be correct, but a 6’ 195 lb corner has a better shot of making that play than a 5’9” 180 pound corner.  It definitely wouldn’t have been an insane play either, just an excellent  interception that gets made by someone several times a season. 

It wasn't a wrestling match.  Anyway, Jefferson is 6'1", 203.  Tre had 1 int in 2021 and hasn't played in a year.

11 hours ago, zow2 said:

I was at the game but barely noticed Von. Did he do anything?! There were so many drop backs by Cousins today and i saw him

hardly pressured.  OT it got a little better. but he still threaded passes.

He hit Cousins while throwing, caused an opportunity and got a sack late in the game.  He had some missed opportunities, on purely based on lack of effort, he quit on one play and wound up a few steps away from Cousins, but was flat footed.  Would have had an easy sack/possible strip sack. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He hit Cousins while throwing, caused an opportunity and got a sack late in the game.  He had some missed opportunities, on purely based on lack of effort, he quit on one play and wound up a few steps away from Cousins, but was flat footed.  Would have had an easy sack/possible strip sack. 

There were a few players who thought the ball was already out on the illegal men down field play. 

11 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

The D has been decimated with injuries but I'm still so confused as to the plan and the play of the guys up front.

Oliver, Miller, Epenesa, Phillips, Lawson, Settle, and Boogie and NOBODY can get pressure enough to make plays or force throws? And Leslie and sean (the D whisperer) dont have the brains to maybe adjust the scheme or plan when 6 defensive back/lb's are out? It's mind blowing no adjustments have been made there.

Will probably throw a 1st round pick there again next year thinking that'll solve it...

Most of that is due to the fact Frazier rarely blitzes and seems to be fine with rushing 4 and not getting pressure.  Tells me he's scared to death of his secondary and thinks we need 7 in coverage every play.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

The D has been decimated with injuries but I'm still so confused as to the plan and the play of the guys up front.

Oliver, Miller, Epenesa, Phillips, Lawson, Settle, and Boogie and NOBODY can get pressure enough to make plays or force throws? And Leslie and sean (the D whisperer) dont have the brains to maybe adjust the scheme or plan when 6 defensive back/lb's are out? It's mind blowing no adjustments have been made there.

Will probably throw a 1st round pick there again next year thinking that'll solve it...

What is the scheme adjustment to be made in this situation? We're starting back-ups in over half of our defense - it is what it is. Keep everything in front of you and don't allow the big play.

13 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

most of the threads here seem to be about Allen and his horrid play of late (and I'll be the first to say that he has been really bad), but is the defense getting yet ANOTHER free pass today?

The Vikes had their highest yardage output of the season today and converted countless 3rd & 4th and long plays.  I frankly don't even remember the last time Minnesota punted.    Did anyone honestly think that the D would force a punt in OT?  

Up 27-10 late in the third quarter, the Vikes gash the Bills for an 81-yard TD (let me guess, Sean - bad run fit, and you'll get that fixed!), score a TD on their next drive, and then march 75 yards, only to get stopped on 4th and goal from the 1.  In OT, they fairly easily drove downfield for the GW FG.

Is this the mark of a good defense?

Missed tackle.

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

What is the scheme adjustment to be made in this situation? We're starting back-ups in over half of our defense - it is what it is. Keep everything in front of you and don't allow the big play.

Missed tackle.

I would start by maybe blitzing an immobile QB to force more passes into severely inexperienced DB's who struggle to cover. That would be a pretty easy start. But Frazier will die on the "I dont blitz" hill for some reason. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.