The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

Just now, RyanC883 said:

poor fundamentals all over the secondary.  On Jefferson’s TD over Jackson, Jackson had his back to the ball the whole time

True...They had 2 INT's today and they could have had 6...How about the PI when our DB is looking back for the ball, sees it and it looks like he may have a play on it, then completely turns his back suddenly and runs right into Jefferson...It was mind boggling how bad they were today overall...B-)

• Agree 1

So let's just tally the marks.

Defense has a great goal line stand to win, offense fumbles the ball and gives up a TD. 

Offense turns the ball over 3 times in 4th qtr. And OT. Also one other time in the red zone for a total of 3 redzone turnovers, we will be conservative and say that's 6 points.

Defense holds the Vikings to a field goal in OT and gives Allen and company a chance, they blew it.

I'm not forgiving the Defense for everything, but to even remotely put this loss on them is absolutely insane.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

most of the threads here seem to be about Allen and his horrid play of late (and I'll be the first to say that he has been really bad), but is the defense getting yet ANOTHER free pass today?

The Vikes had their highest yardage output of the season today and converted countless 3rd & 4th and long plays.  I frankly don't even remember the last time Minnesota punted.    Did anyone honestly think that the D would force a punt in OT?  

Up 27-10 late in the third quarter, the Vikes gash the Bills for an 81-yard TD (let me guess, Sean - bad run fit, and you'll get that fixed!), score a TD on their next drive, and then march 75 yards, only to get stopped on 4th and goal from the 1.  In OT, they fairly easily drove downfield for the GW FG.

Is this the mark of a good defense?

Bills offense isn’t missing any starters. Jackson got an INT,  offense did nothing with it.

Offense fumbled inside Vikings territory.  2 INT’s in the end zone.  Fumble a damn snap on the goal line after D holds on 4th down.

D played well enough to win.  Game shouldn’t have been close.  But the offense keeps giving the ball and the points away.  And the OC doesn’t seem to know when to call a running play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

All you Edmunds haters saw exactly what happened when he got injured in the 2nd half. More reason to resign this guy. He takes away the middle of the field. I saw him run step for step with Thielen. A criminally underrated player for this defense. Any fan that’s worth his salt knows how good this guy is, but the ignorant ones are too worried about “splash “ plays.

I did notice him drop a pretty easy INT. 

I'm not sure that being better than Dodson means he deserves a big contract.

The defense really missed him in the Steelers game... 

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I did notice him drop a pretty easy INT. 

I'm not sure that being better than Dodson means he deserves a big contract.

The defense really missed him in the Steelers game... 

are you kidding me? Kenny Pickett is trash. Our whole 2nd string defense could’ve shut down that pathetic offense. Edmunds needs work against the run, but he’s elite in coverage and I’d rather have that in the modern NFL. I guarantee he gets a contract. We’ll agree to disagree I guess

40 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

The players aren’t attached to strings being moved around by japetto saying “I’m a real boy,” how can you not put any of the emphasis on the players? Bringing in Von Miller was a mistake? You must be joking…he’s on pace for 16 sacks in a rotation, and that can’t be due to coaching since you’ve already told us their *****.  Milano has been our best defensive player this year, but you want to replace him…and our starting ML was out the second half…so which is it? The players suck, or the coaching staff sucks, or just everything sucks? You want to place blame on the cb not getting his head around the coaching staff? Cmon man, this isn’t stuff you learn when you get to the NFL…

• TJ Watt, Nick Bosa and Micah Parsons are all better than Von Miller.  They have way more of defensive presence and are more disruptive on D than Von Miller is.  We paid this guy 120 Million and he barely made any contribution to the game today & last week vs the Jets.  So say what you want.  You can have all the sacks in the world if you still lose games to teams you should be beating then the money is hardly worth the investment.  Yeah by the way we are now in 3rd in the AFC E and we have no chance beating Miami.  We will be lucky to beat NYJ  much less NE twice, the way our defense is playing and Josh is playing right now.  Milano is only average and Edmunds is a way to on and off of a player.   We spent $$$ to the hilt this year to pay people to win now and the money they have invested to date has not provided the results.  It goes to show you that this team is not as good on the field as it is on paper.  I have been watching this team since Joe Ferguson was throwing balls for this team.   This team is a major tailspin,   and I don't see any way for them to get out of it.  This is a coaching issue and there is no denying it anymore.   Players can only play how they are coached then their talent has take them the rest of the way on the field.  If you are missing tackles, dropping passes, not using the RB's more and have a QB throwing putrid game losing Int's all this season, tell me how you fix this three ring circus now.  You don't because our coaches are a F*** joke.
Edited by Toyo321
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Missing Pieces

Poyer

Hyde

Edmunds (2nd half)

White

Elam

Groot

Bills Starting Secondary Today:

- 6th Rd CB Rookie!

- 6th Rd S

- 7th Rd CB

- Undrafted S (First start)

Yet they still came up with huge stops (4th and goal, 3 points in OT) and created multiple take aways.

Be mad that we gave up 30 points in regulation all you want, but don’t ignore the fact they were severely hampered by injury and their coaching staff refused to try and do anything brazen to  create an advantage

Defense did NOT give up 30 anyway.  People keep saying that but one of their TDs was a defensive TD

2 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:
  • TJ Watt, Nick Bosa and Micah Parsons are all better than Von Miller.  They have way more of defensive presence and are more disruptive on D than Von Miller is.  We paid this guy 120 Million and he barely made any contribution to the game today & last week vs the Jets.  So say what you want.  You can have all the sacks in the world if you still lose games to teams you should be beating then the money is hardly worth the investment.  Yeah by the way we are now in 3rd in the AFC E and we have no chance beating Miami.  We will be lucky to beat NYJ  much less NE twice, the way our defense is playing and Josh is playing right now.  Milano is only average and Edmunds is a way to on and off of a player.   We spent $$$ to the hilt this year to pay people to win now and the money they have invested to date has not provided the results.  It goes to show you that this team is not as good on the field as it is on paper.  I have been watching this team since Joe Ferguson was throwing ball for this team.   This team is a major tailspin,   and I don't see any way for them to get out of it.  This is a coaching issue and there is no denying it anymore.   Players can only play how they are coached then their talent has take them the rest of the way on the field.  If you are missing tackles, dropping passes, not using the RB's more and have a QB throwing putrid game losing Int's all this season, tell me how you fix this three ring circus now.  You don't because our coaches are a F*** joke.

Terrible post

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Defense did NOT give up 30 anyway.  People keep saying that but one of their TDs was a defensive TD

Terrible post

The defensive td is at best shared blame, given that they never should have been on the one to begin with, if not for the complete typical, cupcake defense this team plays 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

He's always had issues with snaps under center on sneaks - I had hoped that the issue was in the past, but I guess not.  Truly embarrassing.

The D has had plenty of time to adjust to not having Hyde and White.  The failure by Lewis to not simply knock the ball down on 4th and 18 was incredible....has the defense not learned anything from the past 2.5 seasons?

What good does a selfish 4th down int accomplish when a knock down wins the game.  Nothing obviously was taught to these guys after the Hail Murray.  When a team makes the same mistakes that's 100% coaching.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really thought this game was a tale of two defenses (both being the Bills')   

They forced two turnovers.  Got a few sacks in pressure packed moments late to force multiple 4th downs including the 4th and 18.

They had two amazing goal line stands.

For the most part, they were fairly stout in run D.

But

They allowed the Vikings to convert way too many 3rd and 4th downs

They gave up an 82 yard touchdown run

They couldn't stop Jefferson in the 4th Q and overtime.

I wonder if Edmunds being out the second half was a large contributor to their surge in production. (edit just saw chronicandknuckles saying the same thing a few posts before mine) He was a factor in the interception that Benford got because his length altered the throw.  After their first drive, Minnesota really did not do much in the first half.  That's just something that I was pondering in the hours after the game. 

Justin Jefferson made one of the best and most clutch catches I have ever seen.   It just sucks it was against us.

Edited by gtw3

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

All you Edmunds haters saw exactly what happened when he got injured in the 2nd half. More reason to resign this guy. He takes away the middle of the field. I saw him run step for step with Thielen. A criminally underrated player for this defense. Any fan that’s worth his salt knows how good this guy is, but the ignorant ones are too worried about “splash “ plays.

Cousins definitely was affected by Edmunds in this game. One of the first times you could actually see his impact. He’s always impacting but this was the best example.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Someone please explain to me why a QB s sneak (a play allen has already said he doss not like) is the best option for play call on 1st down from your own half yard line?

Seems scary AF to me. Someone explain it to me like I am a 2 year old plz

They say that it is supposed to be a safe way to create some wiggle room, especially with a giant as your QB.   

Execute the snap and push forward with assistance from Davis, even a half a foot.  Do it again and the game is over.  We were not able to execute the snap.

7 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

most of the threads here seem to be about Allen and his horrid play of late (and I'll be the first to say that he has been really bad), but is the defense getting yet ANOTHER free pass today?

The Vikes had their highest yardage output of the season today and converted countless 3rd & 4th and long plays.  I frankly don't even remember the last time Minnesota punted.    Did anyone honestly think that the D would force a punt in OT?  

Up 27-10 late in the third quarter, the Vikes gash the Bills for an 81-yard TD (let me guess, Sean - bad run fit, and you'll get that fixed!), score a TD on their next drive, and then march 75 yards, only to get stopped on 4th and goal from the 1.  In OT, they fairly easily drove downfield for the GW FG.

Is this the mark of a good defense?

I mean we hold them to 23 if Lewis doesn't go for an int on 4th and 18.

Missing Hyde Poyer White Elam Groot and Edmunds in 2nd half is hard to overcome 

That's 6 franchise players on 1 side of the ball but still inexcusable being up 17 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.