The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

It took an other worldly performance by Jefferson.  Maybe the best by a WR I’ve ever seen.  You weren’t gonna stop him and the covereage wan’t bad at all.  

All Lewis had to do is knock it down instead of going for the pick but when you’re down to your 5th Saftey, mistakes will happen.  That’s why you need a HC to make good decisions.  

17 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I don’t think a rookie 6th rd pick learned anything from that play 2 years ago, and I’m sure the coaching staff has coached to knock balls down, hell, i learned that when I was playing pop Warner ball in the 6th grade. The kid wanted to make a play, and he made the wrong one, and if they interview him, I guarantee that he says that the coaches tell them to knock the ball down.  I don’t see the coaching be the main reason for this loss, although I hated the 4th and 2 call, the coaching staff didn’t turn the ball over FOUR TIMES!

Until the coaching starts reining in the players making these mistakes it is a coaching issue.   CB's failing to turn around looking for the ball and get getting burned is all on the coaches.   We made a huge mistake signing Von Miller.  We could have brought in some serious LB help this year and beefed up in the Secondary.   But now we have this paper defense again.   We lose to good teams because our coaching can't  make game time adjustments and won't get off playing  stupid dime defense every single game and not make any second half adjustments.  Our run D has been crap for 3 plus games.  Our coaches have not done jack 💩to stop it!!!

Edited by Toyo321

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on.  It's not "inexplicable".  That ball was sailing over Jeffersons head--naturally the DB is going to put his hands together thinking he's catching an INT.  Jefferson makes an insane catch.  That's not one I'm putting on Lewis.  

Lewis had two hands on the ball and let Jefferson rip it away with one hand while falling backwards. It was 100% on Lewis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Simon said:

He has no business being out there in an NFL defensive backfield.

I know he's become an excellent ST's player and that the DB room is decimated by injuries, but he has yet to show anything he belongs out there with that defense.

Then why wasn't a more polished Dean Marlowe in there rather than a ST guy making his first ever safety start?????    Poor coaching

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Our CB's have not learned anything even after the D-Hop catch in the game with Arizona 2 years ago  If our coaches can't even address this issue two years later, that is proof that the entire coaching staff is crap.  The coaching is the major problem the last 3 seasons.

What if I told you not one DB that was in on that play was playing today?

41 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We had a 27-10 lead in the second half. You let a guy run an 80 yard TD like it was 1974. You continued to give up big plays on 3rd and long. Couldn’t get a stop on multiple 4th downs. Make a ***** stop. Stop asking your QB to just throw you back every week. Get off the goddamn field. Blitz. Knock a pass down. Bat a ball. Wrap a RB up. Stop letting a QB stand in the pocket and cut you up on 3rd down

When we went up 27-10 with less than 2 min left in the 3rd I said “That’s game. We’re up 3 scores so all we have to do is take care of the ball and hope nothing crazy happens.”

After the 81 yard TD run I said “Well, that sucks, but we still win if we take care of the ball and play decent football.” We turned the ball over 3 times after that, including the fumble in our own EZ. The long TD run wasn't great, but turnovers are the biggest reason we lost.

Incidentally, the Bills are one turnover away from having the most in the NFL. Our defense is also one away from having the most takeaways. LINK  The defense is doing its job very well in this regard, the offense is not. You just can’t expect to win a championship turning the ball over like that. 

Edited by BarleyNY

14 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Until the coaching starts reining in the players making these mistakes it is a coaching issue.   CB's failing to turn around looking for the ball and get getting burned is all on the coaches.   We made a huge mistake signing Von Miller.  We could have brought in some serious LB help this year and beefed up in the Secondary.   But now we have this paper defense again.   We lose to good teams because our coaching can't  make game time adjustments and won't get off playing  stupid dime defense every single game and not make any second half adjustments.  Our run D has been crap for 3 plus games.  Our coaches have not done jack 💩to stop it!!!

The players aren’t attached to strings being moved around by japetto saying “I’m a real boy,” how can you not put any of the emphasis on the players? Bringing in Von Miller was a mistake? You must be joking…he’s on pace for 16 sacks in a rotation, and that can’t be due to coaching since you’ve already told us their *****.  Milano has been our best defensive player this year, but you want to replace him…and our starting ML was out the second half…so which is it? The players suck, or the coaching staff sucks, or just everything sucks? You want to place blame on the cb not getting his head around the coaching staff? Cmon man, this isn’t stuff you learn when you get to the NFL…

4 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

What if I told you not one DB that was in on that play was playing today?

It is the source of the problem.  Safety, DB, CB it doesn't matter if you don't understand the bigger picture of the down being played,  then this falls on the coaches stressing situation importance.  Change of possession via int has less of a chance then just knocking down  and defending the pass attempt.

39 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I don’t think a rookie 6th rd pick learned anything from that play 2 years ago, and I’m sure the coaching staff has coached to knock balls down, hell, i learned that when I was playing pop Warner ball in the 6th grade. The kid wanted to make a play, and he made the wrong one, and if they interview him, I guarantee that he says that the coaches tell them to knock the ball down.  I don’t see the coaching be the main reason for this loss, although I hated the 4th and 2 call, the coaching staff didn’t turn the ball over FOUR TIMES!

What does Benford have to do with this?

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Bills have read their press clippings a little too much.  They just aren’t as good as advertised and certainly not working hard enough to get themselves back on track. Hence the lousy 2nd halves. 

The upside is I'm sure there will be plenty of dancing videos from practice on Twitter next week...B-)

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My problem with this defense is they are giving up way too many third and longs they tend to stiffen once they get over the 50 yard line but there’s still a problem

I mean a fourth an 18 that should never happen

they refuse to bring extra pressure. when you dont blitz the qb, you give the longer routes a chance to develop.

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

most of the threads here seem to be about Allen and his horrid play of late (and I'll be the first to say that he has been really bad), but is the defense getting yet ANOTHER free pass today?

The Vikes had their highest yardage output of the season today and converted countless 3rd & 4th and long plays.  I frankly don't even remember the last time Minnesota punted.    Did anyone honestly think that the D would force a punt in OT?  

Up 27-10 late in the third quarter, the Vikes gash the Bills for an 81-yard TD (let me guess, Sean - bad run fit, and you'll get that fixed!), score a TD on their next drive, and then march 75 yards, only to get stopped on 4th and goal from the 1.  In OT, they fairly easily drove downfield for the GW FG.

Is this the mark of a good defense?

3rd year in a tow allowing a 70 yard plus run I believe.  All season the ru. D has been super soft.  No adjustment by Frazier or McD.  

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

most of the threads here seem to be about Allen and his horrid play of late (and I'll be the first to say that he has been really bad), but is the defense getting yet ANOTHER free pass today?

The Vikes had their highest yardage output of the season today and converted countless 3rd & 4th and long plays.  I frankly don't even remember the last time Minnesota punted.    Did anyone honestly think that the D would force a punt in OT?  

Up 27-10 late in the third quarter, the Vikes gash the Bills for an 81-yard TD (let me guess, Sean - bad run fit, and you'll get that fixed!), score a TD on their next drive, and then march 75 yards, only to get stopped on 4th and goal from the 1.  In OT, they fairly easily drove downfield for the GW FG.

Is this the mark of a good defense?

Defense put the offense in position to win it not once, but twice. Allen fumbled the snap and then threw a red zone pick in OT. End of story. Everything before doesn’t matter, they stepped up when it counted. Point blank period. 

37 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Exactly...I lost my voice screaming at that one...

As bad luck would have it for Bills fans, the only way Jefferson has a chance to make that miracle catch and pull it down is because Lewis freezes the ball at that exact point trying to catch it...What an incredibly major blunder...B-)

poor fundamentals all over the secondary.  On Jefferson’s TD over Jackson, Jackson had his back to the ball the whole time

• Like (+1) 1

All you Edmunds haters saw exactly what happened when he got injured in the 2nd half. More reason to resign this guy. He takes away the middle of the field. I saw him run step for step with Thielen. A criminally underrated player for this defense. Any fan that’s worth his salt knows how good this guy is, but the ignorant ones are too worried about “splash “ plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.