The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

20 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Question for you. Super bowl. 4th quarter. Bills have 3 point lead with 2 mins and the opponent has the ball. How good you feel the bills d holds?

Better than I feel if we are down 3 and the O has the ball. In our 3-9 in one score games over the last two seasons (including playoffs) the O has had the ball at the end with a chance to win 8 of them. Of those 8 we have won 1. The defense has been on the field to protect a win twice (both at KC) and is 1-1. The other two (Steelers opening day 2021 and today) one team or other scored in garbage time to make it a one score game and it came down to fielding an onside kick. 

I know people don't want to hear it but if this team has a "clutch" problem it ain't on defense.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Better than I feel if we are down 3 and the O has the ball. In our 3-9 in one score games over the last two seasons (including playoffs) the D has had the ball at the end with a chance to win 8 of them. Of those 8 we have won 1. The defense has been on the field two protect a win twice (both at KC) and is 1-1. The other two (Steelers opening day 2021 and today) one team or other scored in garbage time to make it a one score game and it came down to fielding an onside kick. 

I know people don't want to hear it but if this team has a "clutch" problem it ain't on defense.

The D certainly wasn't clutch these past 3 weeks, or on 3rd and 22 against Miami earlier in the year.

Hail Murray, :13....

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

The D certainly wasn't clutch these past 3 weeks, or on 3rd and 22 against Miami earlier in the year.

Hail Murray, :13....

Hail Murray and 13 seconds are two clutch failures on the D. No doubt. Otherwise they are a team who give up some plays LIKE EVERY DEFENSE. They actually won the game on the 1 yard line last week. Absolutely clutch. All the offense had to do was snap a ball properly.... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nick Chubb- 14 rushes 19 yards.  The defense is brutal….minus Rousseau and Edmunds (and to a lesser extent White).  

Our corners need to have better awareness playing the ball.  It was a rough 1st half for the d and we got bailed out Brissetts fumble, but Frazier had a very good second half after getting beatdown in the first half.  

the offense is what we need to worry about as of now.  Specifically, our slot usage.  Shakir……where are you?  Try cook in the slot.  Get the kid the ball.  He’s starting to look like a nice weapon 

I'm really concerned about Tre White. The defense cannot be championship caliber until we have him back. Clearly there is some kind of mental thing going on with him and the longer it goes on the more concerned I become that he will not be back on the field this year. December 1 against the Pats is the deadline I'm looking at. If he's still not back by then I think we have a big problem on our hands.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm really concerned about Tre White. The defense cannot be championship caliber until we have him back. Clearly there is some kind of mental thing going on with him and the longer it goes on the more concerned I become that he will not be back on the field this year. December 1 against the Pats is the deadline I'm looking at. If he's still not back by then I think we have a big problem on our hands.

What would his trade value be? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Hail Murray and 13 seconds are two clutch failures on the D. No doubt. Otherwise they are a team who give up some plays LIKE EVERY DEFENSE. They actually won the game on the 1 yard line last week. Absolutely clutch. All the offense had to do was snap a ball properly.... 

13 seconds was essentially 3 choke jobs by the defense - one on the Hill TD, the end of regulation debacle and then the surrender in OT.

Last week, up 27-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter - that shouldn't have even been a close game in the 4th.  

Game tied against the Jets, with a bad QB backed up on the 4-yard line, and the D essentially vomits on itself.

Tennessee last season - couldn't get a stop in the 2nd half - at all.  Tenn gets the ball down 4 with 8:00 left and crams it down our throat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Trock said:

What would his trade value be? 

If he doesn't want to play? Zero.

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

13 seconds was essentially 3 choke jobs by the defense - one on the Hill TD, the end of regulation debacle and then the surrender in OT.

Last week, up 27-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter - that shouldn't have even been a close game in the 4th.  

Game tied against the Jets, with a bad QB backed up on the 4-yard line, and the D essentially vomits on itself.

Tennessee last season - couldn't get a stop in the 2nd half - at all.  Tenn gets the ball down 4 with 8:00 left and crams it down our throat.

Yea. Defenses give up plays. It is the NFL. The Offense has blown way more games.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Better than I feel if we are down 3 and the O has the ball. In our 3-9 in one score games over the last two seasons (including playoffs) the O has had the ball at the end with a chance to win 8 of them. Of those 8 we have won 1. The defense has been on the field to protect a win twice (both at KC) and is 1-1. The other two (Steelers opening day 2021 and today) one team or other scored in garbage time to make it a one score game and it came down to fielding an onside kick. 

Neither the offense nor the defense seems to perform particularly well at end of game high pressure situations, but I would easily go w offense because they always have the best player on the field in Allen.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Better than I feel if we are down 3 and the O has the ball. In our 3-9 in one score games over the last two seasons (including playoffs) the D has had the ball at the end with a chance to win 8 of them. Of those 8 we have won 1. The defense has been on the field two protect a win twice (both at KC) and is 1-1. The other two (Steelers opening day 2021 and today) one team or other scored in garbage time to make it a one score game and it came down to fielding an onside kick. 

I actually loved the way they used their timeouts on the final drive of the first half to prevent a "rushed" situation because the Bills offense OFTEN struggles with composure when rushed.    There have been a lot more mistaken-laden finishes in close games than not.   It's one of the reasons I am so "pro" aggressiveness with this offense during the entire game.    They can win some close games.......they did it in KC and Baltimore this season.......but being big in the clutch is not a strength of this offense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. Defenses give up plays. It is the NFL. The Offense has blown way more games.

Bit of an oversimplification.  If you think the end of regulation and OT vs KC, the Jets game (especially the last drive) and the 2nd half of the Tenn game is simply a case of the defense "giving up plays", I think this discussion is pointless, with all due respect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

NFL defenses give up points and big plays galore. I think there’s an unreasonable expectation on defensive production. This league is geared towards offense, and you hope your defense simply does enough to win. That’s what they did today. My only concern remains the conservative Frazier play calling when we have a lead. That’s where our defense could be the difference between a title or disappointment. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean...you understand it's much more difficult statistically for the offense to score when down late in games than it is for the defense to hold a late lead? There's a reason teams down late in games have such low win%

I've said this before, there is no way to make up for these types of losses, yes it's next man up but the next man up is not going to be anywhere near as good as Edmunds, Hyde, White, Groot, Elam and now Epenesa. My biggest problem with this defense is adjustments, they absolutely refuse to stray from the game plan and it's killing us. Jefferson had a career game against us and instead of learning from our mistakes and double teaming WR Amari Cooper, he once again destroyed us. Why wouldn't we have Poyer and Cook on him all game and stack the LOS against the run? It made zero sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.