The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

On 11/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We had a 27-10 lead in the second half. You let a guy run an 80 yard TD like it was 1974. You continued to give up big plays on 3rd and long. Couldn’t get a stop on multiple 4th downs. Make a ***** stop. Stop asking your QB to just throw you back every week. Get off the goddamn field. Blitz. Knock a pass down. Bat a ball. Wrap a RB up. Stop letting a QB stand in the pocket and cut you up on 3rd down

This is where I'm at as well. We've had the lead at half-time in the last 3 games, 2 of which were 2 score leads of 14 or more points.  The other was against Zach freaking Wilson and the Jets. 

Up 14 plus points that late should make  opposing offenses one dimensional usually making it easy on a defense. NOT OURS! And if you can't stop Zach Wilson who currently is the worst QB in the league then I have no words. 

Yes, the offense has sputtered at the end of games but they have scored enough early to secure wins.

That is of course if the #1 Defense 😂 in the league does their part.

• Agree 1

Boogie Basham (worst pick in the Beane era)

Tim Settle (put him on a milk carton)

AJ (terrible)

Shaq (below average to bad vs good OTs)

Philips (wants to pass rush only)

Rousseau hurt 

Oliver Jones and Miller (who shouldn’t be playing more then 60% of the plays) are the only ones playing fine.  Not really sure about Jones recently.  

The D line is regressing and looks absolutely terrible against the run - and couldn’t get home on Cousins Rodgers and Wilson - the latter 2 their olines were a mess.   

This defense is a hot mess everywhere except for Milano and Edmunds - who haven’t started and finished a game together in what?  A month?  

Didn’t even discuss the Poyer-less secondary.  

Complete DEFCON 2 on defense if you ask me.  I don’t really care that it played good for a half v Minnesota.  1 guy went down and it collapsed.  The D line is missing Rousseau…..bad. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, purple haze said:

Same D he’s run from the beginning of his and McD’s tenure.  The same D McD ran in Carolina.  It’s not fear; they believe in a 4 man rush with a rotation of D lineman.  You don’t have to like it but it is a defensive principal they believe in.

And it's overrated and I doubt we win a superbowl with it

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2022 at 12:14 AM, purple haze said:

Same D he’s run from the beginning of his and McD’s tenure.  The same D McD ran in Carolina.  It’s not fear; they believe in a 4 man rush with a rotation of D lineman.  You don’t have to like it but it is a defensive principal they believe in.

Of course I don't like it.  If you can't get pressure on the opposing QB when you need it, it's pointless.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:06 PM, Toyo321 said:
  • TJ Watt, Nick Bosa and Micah Parsons are all better than Von Miller.  They have way more of defensive presence and are more disruptive on D than Von Miller is.  We paid this guy 120 Million and he barely made any contribution to the game today & last week vs the Jets.  So say what you want.  You can have all the sacks in the world if you still lose games to teams you should be beating then the money is hardly worth the investment.  Yeah by the way we are now in 3rd in the AFC E and we have no chance beating Miami.  We will be lucky to beat NYJ  much less NE twice, the way our defense is playing and Josh is playing right now.  Milano is only average and Edmunds is a way to on and off of a player.   We spent $$$ to the hilt this year to pay people to win now and the money they have invested to date has not provided the results.  It goes to show you that this team is not as good on the field as it is on paper.  I have been watching this team since Joe Ferguson was throwing balls for this team.   This team is a major tailspin,   and I don't see any way for them to get out of it.  This is a coaching issue and there is no denying it anymore.   Players can only play how they are coached then their talent has take them the rest of the way on the field.  If you are missing tackles, dropping passes, not using the RB's more and have a QB throwing putrid game losing Int's all this season, tell me how you fix this three ring circus now.  You don't because our coaches are a F*** joke.

Milano is Not average

• Like (+1) 1

Dare I say this, but I am jealous of the Jets defense. I love their speed and aggression and how they defend.  I don’t love Frasier’s defensive style and we let up waaaay too many yards.  We don’t blitz at all.  I know we have significant defensive backfield injuries, but it’s not the only problem.  

1 hour ago, Codyny13 said:

Milano is Not average

Milano might be the best lb in football this year..  lb depth is a huge issue though…the defense is exponentially worse when one of edmunds/Milano is out.  Dodson and Bernard have been terrible 

some of it was the browns stout oline givin us issues today (they got away with a ton of holds also).

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Well we’ll we’ll, these guys are showing some real pride and physicality. Shaq,  Milano, Jackson, Poyer having great games. How about our leader , Von . This is beginning to look like our turning point game.

We won against a terrible team.

Most of our problems are still out there. Playing like this come playoff time against a good team = golf time.

The D played pretty well with some adjustments after that first drive. But I'm afraid the physical limitations of Jackson and Benford are hurting us at corner. Need Tre and Elam asap.

Just now, Einstein said:

The defense is average.

No doubt about it.

In other news, Belichick completely stymied a Jets offense that was moving at will on us at times. 

Down 5 starters, sure. The defense will be fine when we get our guys back.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

The defense is average.

No doubt about it.

In other news, Belichick completely stymied a Jets offense that was moving at will on us at times. 

We got trouble against them the way this offense is sputtering. Josh’s elbow needs to heal up and Dorsey needs to pull it together.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The D played pretty well with some adjustments after that first drive. But I'm afraid the physical limitations of Jackson and Benford are hurting us at corner. Need Tre and Elam asap.

How long is Elam expected to be out? Could really use him on Thanksgiving 

41 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Well we’ll we’ll, these guys are showing some real pride and physicality. Shaq,  Milano, Jackson, Poyer having great games. How about our leader , Von . This is beginning to look like our turning point game.

"Turning point game"?  The D was crappy once again.  

I'm not sure why isn't taboo for the CBs to actually looks back for the ball.

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The defense is average.

No doubt about it.

jets wouldn’t have cracked double digits against us if we didn’t have absolute clowns starting at lb due to injury.  Our injury situation on defense has been insane 

not sure why no one brings up missing Rousseau either …he has been an animal this year.  A handful of other great players missing also 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we were missing 2 starters on defense. Milano and Poyer. Definitely key players.

Patriots were without Barmore, who is a very good player, and still absolutely shut the Jets down.

42 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Dare I say this, but I am jealous of the Jets defense. I love their speed and aggression and how they defend.  I don’t love Frasier’s defensive style and we let up waaaay too many yards.  We don’t blitz at all.  I know we have significant defensive backfield injuries, but it’s not the only problem.  

Yes and when your offense is flying it’s ok but when you need the D to step up they stink. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. It’s the scheme. Yes missing starters hurts but really this D even last year wasn’t good regardless of the stats. 

• Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.