The defense sucked....again

Bermuda Triangle

1 hour ago, Simon said:

This is not true at all.

Oliver was banging on him all game and he also got tagged multiple times by several other defenders.

AJ Epenesa got a QB hit + a sack.

Boogie Basham got a QB hit + a sack.

Von Miller 2 QB hits + a sack.

Shaq Lawson got 2 QB hits. 05 sack.

Ed Oliver got 4 QB hits .5 sack. 

10 QB hits, 4 sacks

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

so why did we get gashed in the running game AGAIN in the second half.  

you are not taught to play the hands.  that is a clear way to get a PI at best unless extremely lucky.  Turn around, play the ball, and any contact is permitted.  What Jackson did was faceguarding. 

A missed tackle, but that’s not something that you can adjust in-game like I said. It’s taught over a period of time.

I don’t know how to make it any more clear to you that if a DB is out of phase with a receiver they are taught to play through the receivers hands. If you don’t want to agree with me then that’s fine, but that’s literally what they are taught.

Also faceguarding is not a thing.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

A missed tackle, but that’s not something that you can adjust in-game like I said. It’s taught over a period of time.

I don’t know how to make it any more clear to you that if a DB is out of phase with a receiver they are taught to play through the receivers hands. If you don’t want to agree with me then that’s fine, but that’s literally what they are taught.

Also faceguarding is not a thing.

faceguarding IS a thing.   Required contact (becomes PI above HS).  

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/691/ask-the-official-face-guarding-in-itself-is-illegal-only-within-high-school-rules

Jackson was not out if phase.  He simply had poor technique.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

faceguarding IS a thing.   Required contact (becomes PI above HS).  

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/691/ask-the-official-face-guarding-in-itself-is-illegal-only-within-high-school-rules

Jackson was not out if phase.  He simply had poor technique.  

Come on man… people are that lazy?

”Many people mistakenly called this face guarding, but there is no rule against face guarding in the NFL. The defender doesn't really have to turn and look for the ball as long as he doesn't forcibly contact the receiver.”

it’s the first thing that pops up if you Google it…

and he was out of phase - this conversation is pointless though.

Just now, HoofHearted said:

Come on man… people are that lazy?

”Many people mistakenly called this face guarding, but there is no rule against face guarding in the NFL. The defender doesn't really have to turn and look for the ball as long as he doesn't forcibly contact the receiver.”

it’s the first thing that pops up if you Google it…

and he was out of phase - this conversation is pointless though.

I said there was no rule against it, and that it requires contact in the NFL.  Actually read what I wrote.  He had poor positioning and was in phase. Period.  He needed to turn his head, and he had a play on the ball.  Instead, TD.  

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I said there was no rule against it, and that it requires contact in the NFL.  Actually read what I wrote.  He had poor positioning and was in phase. Period.  He needed to turn his head, and he had a play on the ball.  Instead, TD.  

RsxMiBY.jpg

Bro, he was behind the receiver!!! By definition this is out of phase! 🤣

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/14/2022 at 7:44 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Nah, Tre's not taking that ball away from Jefferson.

there was never a point where there were not 3 hands on the ball.  Jefferson in front of Lewis had position to pull it away.  It would have been a n insane INT if Lewis came down with it.

It wouldn't have been an "insane" INT. The ball was thrown right to him. He had two hands on the ball all the way to the ground and Jefferson pulled it away with one hand. If anything, he just helped Jefferson catch the ball. It would have been extremely easy to knock the ball away or pull it away from Jefferson. He didn't do either because he was more focused on the catch than the situation.

1 minute ago, MPT said:

It wouldn't have been an "insane" INT. The ball was thrown right to him. He had two hands on the ball all the way to the ground and Jefferson pulled it away with one hand. If anything, he just helped Jefferson catch the ball. It would have been extremely easy to knock the ball away or pull it away from Jefferson. He didn't do either because he was more focused on the catch than the situation.

worse take yet.  congrats.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the ball was thrown right to him, he had both hands on it the whole time, yet he couldn't make the catch because he was too focused on the catch.

ok

Yes, he was too focused on making an interception and didn't either a) knock the ball down or b) realize Jefferson was making a play on the ball and secure it better.

He said himself in an interview that he thought the ball was over Jefferson's head and made a mistake.

Edited by MPT

3 minutes ago, MPT said:

Yes, he was too focused on making an interception and didn't either a) knock the ball down or b) realize Jefferson was making a play on the ball and secure it better.

there were never fewer than 3 hands on that ball the whole time.

You need a bigger TV

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

there were never fewer than 3 hands on that ball the whole time.

You need a bigger TV

Yeah, that's what I've been saying. Lewis had two hands on it, Jefferson had one. If you can't read my posts then don't waste my time replying to them.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:37 PM, SirAndrew said:

The 80 yard touchdown run was inexcusable. You can’t give up that type of play on the ground with a lead. If the opponent is going to run, at least make them use up some clock. The defense is quite depleted, but we constantly give up big runs. It reminded me of the long run Taylor had for the Colts when we got crushed at home last season. Being dominated by the run and giving up long runs has been a theme, regardless of who’s on the field. That’s a scheme/coaching issue imo. 

Or the long run by the pats rb in the wind game that sealed the deal....or the long Henry run against titans that pretty much sealed the deal....but wait there is more...Houston wildcard game ot loss....hail murray......13 seconds and now the sneak......ladies and gents we have a coaching problem...problem is we can't just fix that...I hope and pray they prove me wrong but 2020 afccg was peak ceiling of this staff...now throw in a rookie oc ....I'd be highly surprised a first year OC wins the superbowl smh

• Agree 2

On 11/14/2022 at 6:16 AM, Billz4ever said:

Most of that is due to the fact Frazier rarely blitzes and seems to be fine with rushing 4 and not getting pressure.  Tells me he's scared to death of his secondary and thinks we need 7 in coverage every play.

Same D he’s run from the beginning of his and McD’s tenure.  The same D McD ran in Carolina.  It’s not fear; they believe in a 4 man rush with a rotation of D lineman.  You don’t have to like it but it is a defensive principal they believe in.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.