Josh Allen - Psychology - Coaching

SCBills

4 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

He did go through a slump last year, but correct me if I'm wrong: it wasn't this ugly.

We hadn’t seen postseason unstoppable Josh Allen yet.  

It was pretty ugly, but we didn’t have the lofty expectations for him.  They were high.. like MVP high, but not unstoppable force high.  Same goes for the team. 

There were definitely games at this time last year where we all agreed Josh was losing us games with his off play. 

I don’t ever remember him literally throwing to opposing teams with frequency though.  There’s picks and then there’s picks.   Cousins throwing a high pick to Benford happens.   Cousins throwing directly to Dane Jackson doesn’t.   And Josh has done that like 3 games straight. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It sure didn’t feel this hopeless.

It feels hopeless because the AFC East is stronger this year and our defense is on the midst of an injury crisis so cannot bail him out. In truth, Josh played better today than he did in his slump games in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

He did go through a slump last year, but correct me if I'm wrong: it wasn't this ugly.

Yes it was. Titans game, Colts game, bucs game, pats wind game etc. 

They'll get it corrected. I'd rather this happen now than with 3 weeks left in the season 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

They'll get it corrected. I'd rather this happen now than with 3 weeks left in the season 

We won, but I remember Atlanta being pretty rough for Allen too. 

Also, the weather was horrible every home game last year. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It was pretty ugly, but we didn’t have the lofty expectations for him.  They were high.. like MVP high, but not unstoppable force high.  Same goes for the team. 

There were definitely games at this time last year where we all agreed Josh was losing us games with his off play. 

I don’t ever remember him literally throwing to opposing teams with frequency though.  There’s picks and then there’s picks.   Cousins throwing a high pick to Benford happens.   Cousins throwing directly to Dane Jackson doesn’t.   And Josh has done that like 3 games straight. 

It's the picks and the fumble in the EZ, so let's hope that it's rock bottom.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

The Bucs game is probably similar to today - one good half, one poor half, heartbreak in overtime. Chuck in a similarity to the Titans game in as far as the botched final play.

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The Colts and Jets covered eight quarters out of 12. He actually played better today overall than he did in either of those games. Then we had his performance against the Falcons, which closely reflected what happened last week and that was week seventeen.

He was certainly better today, even at not 100%.  But, bad picks, and the fumble.  Not good.

I think that JA17 is great, make no mistake.  But the only chance they have is if he gets it together.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Looks like the part about asking him to bail out the rest of the team and staff infinite times went over your head.

Yeah I can’t figure it out at all. 🙄

You think that the coaching staff is encouraging Allen to take hits from LBs and Safeties when he runs?  They promote the throws into double coverage when he has people running open in the flat too?  Allen is immune to criticism.. I see that now.  The poor throws, decisions and fumbles happened because he needs help?  Hard to help a QB when he has mental lapses and throws directly to the other team multiple times.

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What was ugly about Allen's game today? Until the last play he was 29/42, 69% (giggity), 1 TD- 1 INT 330 yards passing and 6 carries for 84 yards. That should be considered a very good game by anyone and he did all of that with a throwing arm injury.

I thought Allen was fantastic today.  If we finish off that drive, he’s back to MVP favorite and everyone is ball washing him for his performance in the game of the year. 

He didn’t though.  He made the fatal mistake that he’s been making for ten quarters now.   Not being patient, hyper-aggressive, and end result being not just a pick … but a pick that has you dumbfounded as to what he was even looking at. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, TheCockSportif said:

He was certainly better today, even at not 100%.  But, bad picks, and the fumble.  Not good.

I think that JA17 is great, make no mistake.  But the only chance they have is if he gets it together.

I agree. I’m just pointing out that, even with those individual errors, he was far better today than in the slump games last year.

• Agree 1

I can’t imagine being Allen and having people worship him likes he’s some god or something, it’s weird.

One second he’s some unknown QB from Firebaugh, the next second he’s the top story on every major News outlet. That’s enough to screw with anyones head. I can’t imagine.

I think Allen’s problem is that there’s a lot of pressure on him, he’s THE guy and he knows it. The best thing McD and co can do is to build a stellar team around him to lessen the load.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What was ugly about Allen's game today? Until the last play he was 29/42, 69% (giggity), 1 TD- 1 INT 330 yards passing and 6 carries for 84 yards. That should be considered a very good game by anyone and he did all of that with a throwing arm injury.

Bad picks and the fumble.  Oh, and not throwing to wide open guys to keep the play running; I think that Allen is great, don't get me wrong, but sometimes you have to take what the game gives you.  Doing so doesn't make him Trent Edwards, not by a long shot.

Lots of other blame to go around.  Giving up 3rd and longs on defense, questionable play calling on O, not taking the FG, and so on.

2 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Yeah I can’t figure it out at all. 🙄

You think that the coaching staff is encouraging Allen to take hits from LBs and Safeties when he runs?  They promote the throws into double coverage when he has people running open in the flat too?  Allen is immune to criticism.. I see that now.  The poor throws, decisions and fumbles happened because he needs help?  Hard to help a QB when he has mental lapses and throws directly to the other team multiple times.

I gave you two shots and you're still fixated on the completely wrong thing. Allen did everything he needed to do to win today and then his defense cost him the game and he took them to overtime anyway.

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He’s also thrown 4 ints in the red zone in his last two games.  Throw in a fumble at his own goal line that was recovered by the Vikings for a TD at the end of the 4th QTR today.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Forgot to add earlier: the AFCE is pretty competitive thus far this year, and that wasn't the case last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.