Josh Allen - Psychology - Coaching

SCBills

I’m going to say it .. Josh Allen needs something more, or for someone to give him something more, in terms of a steadying presence on the field.  

It doesn’t seem Dorsey, Keenum, Brady can do that.. yet. 

He refuses to take what is given.  

He is a “momentum player” right now.  You can see it in his eyes .. whenever he makes a big play, or consecutive big plays, he .. and the playcalling allowing him to do this .. goes dagger mode.  Killshot engage, and he ignores everything else that’s happening in front of that.  

Teams will literally leave guys alone in the flat or on shallow routes.  They know where his heads at right now.  Especially when he gets that look.

Do y’all want to know how I know he needs someone to calm him tf down?…

HE PUNCHED THE BALL WITH HIS BAD ARM ON A TURNOVER

I could not even believe I witnessed that on the replay. 

What’s going on with him right now is mental .. and Daboll isn’t here to help him.  Somebody else needs to. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 7

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah losing Daboll was massive.

Just from the steadying presence standpoint that Josh clearly needs and has always had.

Daboll and Allen had a special relationship...he doesn't have that yet with Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I’m going to say it .. Josh Allen needs something more, or for someone to give him something more, in terms of a steadying presence on the field.  

It doesn’t seem Dorsey, Keenum, Brady can do that.. yet. 

He refuses to take what is given.  

He is a “momentum player” right now.  You can see it in his eyes .. whenever he makes a big play, or consecutive big plays, he .. and the playcalling allowing him to do this .. goes dagger mode.  Killshot engage, and he ignores everything else that’s happening in front of that.  

Teams will literally leave guys alone in the flat or on shallow routes.  They know where his heads at right now.  Especially when he gets that look.

Do y’all want to know how I know he needs someone to calm him tf down?…

HE PUNCHED THE BALL WITH HIS BAD ARM ON A TURNOVER

I could not even believe I witnessed that on the replay. 

What’s going on with him right now is mental .. and Daboll isn’t here to help him.  Somebody else needs to. 

Allen is more than just a quarterback. He’s a football player. He’s gonna put his body on the line every time no matter what the coaches tell him. That’s just the way he is a wired. A competitor through & through. You gotta take the good with the bad. He’s in a slump. It happens to all QBs. The season is still salvageable. I’m not gonna go nuts like half the posters here. Losing sucks and some changes need to be made, but the book is not closed on the 2022 season. 

Josh refusing to take what's given is the player he's been his entire career. He may shift away from it for drives, quarters or games, but eventually it's what he reverts back to.

It's a large part of the reason he's as dynamic as a player as he is, but yes it will bite him from time to time. He needs to learn when that killer instinct is needed and when it isn't in order to reach his ceiling. If he does ever find that balance, we'll likely see a lot more boring games where he doesn't light up the scoreboard as he dinks and dunks safe balls, but we should win more overall.

That said, Josh's team and the coaching staff let him down today. Outside of Singletary's nice couple of runs, he was the only meaningful asset for us on the field today. Sometimes that's enough to win, but we're seeing more and more that it isn't high probability against competent teams. If Frazier doesn't call soft zone Hail Murray defenses every single time we have to make one long defensive stop to win, this game was over.

This is like the 7th goddamn time in recent memory this has happened, and pinning it on Josh is ridiculous.

Tom Brady in his prime isn't winning here the way this staff handles defense.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Allen is more than just a quarterback. He’s a football player. He’s gonna put his body on the line every time no matter what the coaches tell him. That’s just the way he is a wired. A competitor through & through. You gotta take the good with the bad. He’s in a slump. It happens to all QBs. The season is still salvageable. I’m not gonna go nuts like half the posters here. Losing sucks and some changes need to be made, but the book is not closed on the 2022 season. 

Nobody is saying that, but if you can’t get it through his head that his elbow is worth a quarter of a billion dollars and he means everything to the team, and in some ways, the city … then he’s clearly tuning people out and/or just not getting the message. 

Someone needs to be able to, at the very least, get that through his head. 

The coaching staff needs to do something to slow things down for Allen right now.   Not an excuse but the offensive line is bad, he rarely has a clean pocket to step up into and I think they pressure or even the illusion of pressure is getting to him.

Dorsey would be smart to get some bootlegs going and try some half field reads.    Something has to give.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Arm chair psychologist? C’mon, bad take. 11 man game and you put a whole game on one guy. 👎🏻

Where did I do that?

Dorsey doesn’t have to go under center, high pressure sneak at the inch line.  

Cam Lewis doesn’t have to give up multiple game saving plays to Minnesota. 

Plenty of blame to go around. 

Just one loss, but our entire season rides on Allen getting right.   It seemed, for much of the game, that he snapped out of it.   Then we all saw what happened on the final throw… an inexplicable throw he’s made far too often in the past 10 quarters.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Josh refusing to take what's given is the player he's been his entire career. He may shift away from it for drives, quarters or games, but eventually it's what he reverts back to.

It's a large part of the reason he's as dynamic as a player as he is, but yes it will bite him from time to time. He needs to learn when that killer instinct is needed and when it isn't in order to reach his ceiling. If he does ever find that balance, we'll likely see a lot more boring games where he doesn't light up the scoreboard as he dinks and dunks safe balls, but we should win more overall.

That said, Josh's team and the coaching staff let him down today. Outside of Singletary's nice couple of runs, he was the only meaningful asset for us on the field today. Sometimes that's enough to win, but we're seeing more and more that it isn't high probability against competent teams. If Frazier doesn't call soft zone Hail Murray defenses every single time we have to make one long defensive stop to win, this game was over.

Tom Brady in his prime isn't winning here the way this staff handles defense.

So we’re back to the Tom Brady comparisons now?  Call me crazy but can Josh make it to ONE damn Super Bowl?? We heap praise and list excuse after excuse as to why he threw a pick AND fumbled a snap on his own goal line that should have ended the game right there.  It’s mistake after mistake and it’s been happening for weeks.  He is routinely throwing to open CBs as if it is by design sometimes.  I can’t figure it out.  It’s starting to look like a mental issue.

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

So we’re back to the Tom Brady comparisons now?  Call me crazy but can Josh make it to ONE damn Super Bowl?? We heap praise and list excuse after excuse as to why he threw a pick AND fumbled a snap on his own goal line that should have ended the game right there.  It’s mistake after mistake and it’s been happening for weeks.  He is routinely throwing to open CBs as if it is by design sometimes.  I can’t figure it out.  It’s starting to look like a mental issue.

Looks like the part about asking him to bail out the rest of the team and staff infinite times went over your head.

1 minute ago, TheCockSportif said:

He did go through a slump last year, but correct me if I'm wrong: it wasn't this ugly.

What was ugly about Allen's game today? Until the last play he was 29/42, 69% (giggity), 1 TD- 1 INT 330 yards passing and 6 carries for 84 yards. That should be considered a very good game by anyone and he did all of that with a throwing arm injury.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheCockSportif said:

He did go through a slump last year, but correct me if I'm wrong: it wasn't this ugly.

The Colts and Jets covered eight quarters out of 12. He actually played better today overall than he did in either of those games. Then we had his performance against the Falcons, which closely reflected what happened last week and that was week seventeen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.