McDermott = McDungy

uticaclub

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

Dungy didn't win a ring on TB... he did on Indy but he had to face Rex Grossman in the SB to do it, got lucky, that Colts team MASSIVELY under achieved with him. 

Sorry man but you dont "get lucky" when you coach a super bowl winning football team.   There have been 516 head Coaches in NFL history, and only 35 of them have won a Super Bowl.    The view that he got lucky is myopic.     I think many people on this board grossly underestimate what it takes to win football games, let a lone a frickin super bowl.  The dude has done something that only 7% of the people who have ever had his job have ever done.  Lucky?   No I dont think so.  

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If when McDermott retires he has a .668 win percentage, has taken the Bills to the playoffs 11 of 13 years, has brought us a championship and makes the Hall of Fame, Ill be super happy.  When did being like Tony Dungy become a bad thing?

There was a post here a few weeks ago asking if Bills fans expectations were too high.  I said no then.  I am officially changing my mind. 

So Marv Levy?  Great!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Schottenheimer created good/elite teams wherever he went. The proof is in the pudding that he clearly wasn't the problem at any one of his destinations.

Until it was playoff time. 5-13 is a ***** playoff record.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Sorry man but you dont "get lucky" when you coach a super bowl winning football team.   There have been 516 head Coaches in NFL history, and only 35 of them have won a Super Bowl.    The view that he got lucky is myopic.     I think many people on this board grossly underestimate what it takes to win football games, let a lone a frickin super bowl.  The dude has done something that only 7% of the people who have ever had his job have ever done.  Lucky?   No I dont think so.  

He got to face Rex Grossman in the super bowl.  That is the epitome of lucky. 

I feel like you have zero recollection of how much of a choke artist that guy is and how many seasons they pissed away. 

Guy coached prime Peyton Manning with stacked teams and made it to 1 SB lmao... John Fox made 2 superbowls with declining old man Manning.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not a new comparison. Many of us have said the same thing for a few years now. 

McD has evolved in some areas such as going for it on fourth down and being aggressive before the end of the half. He has failed to evolve in other areas. Challenges remain poor. But worst of all he trusts his Coordinators too much. Dorsey lost his mind in the second half completely abandoning the run. Where was McD to tell him to keep the offense balanced?

Why is he not talking to Josh to stop this hero ball non-sense?  Belichick had no problem giving Brady an earful when needed.

McDermott is not going anywhere. So all we can do is hope the players overcome him like Manning did with Dungy.

17 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Dungy didn't win a ring on TB... he did on Indy but he had to face Rex Grossman in the SB to do it, got lucky, that Colts team MASSIVELY under achieved with him. 

I forgot that you only get a pinky ring if Rex Grossman is the opposing QB. I am praying that we don't go to the Super Bowl only and be forced to accept victory over Geno Smith. I'd almost rather not make the playoffs at all.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Bowl.    The view that he got lucky is myopic.     I think many people on this board grossly underestimate

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

He got to face Rex Grossman in the super bowl.  That is the epitome of lucky. 

I feel like you have zero recollection of how much of a choke artist that guy is and how many seasons they pissed away. 

Guy coached prime Peyton Manning with stacked teams and made it to 1 SB lmao... John Fox made 2 superbowls with declining old man Manning.

The John fox teams had good defenses 

Peyton’s teams had paper tigers for Defense and when he finally had a healthy bob sanders … won a sb … went to Denver with good defenses …. 2 SB appearances 

When it comes down to one more drive… defense is the key in the playoffs 

Tom Brady had it … manning didn’t

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Once again McD's decision to go for it on 4th and 2 instead of kick and extend our lead comes back to cost us the game, as it very nearly did in KC.

The other thing that is on McD/Frasier is lack of game coaching their dbacks, most notably Cam Lewis on the 4th and very long completion to Jefferson.  "Guys, its 4th down DO NOT CATCH THE BALL and try to get an INT.  Swat it down, hit it as hard as you can but in a contested catch situation trying to catch the ball can result in giving up a catch.  Duh"

Hyde made that mistake once, and today it was Cam Lewis.  He could have easily spiked that football instead of trying to outcatch Jefferson.  Game would have been over.

This is high school stuff.  Seriously.  Like holding the receivers in the 13 second game.  Basic.  Yet our guys don't seem to know it and they're not being reminded either.  How can this be?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

his point was nobody squandered so much talent as Dungy.  I’ve said this over and over.

only 1 ring is proof of this.  4 one and dones. Not including Tampa

Tom Brady squandered all the other teams afc talent for 2 decades. If Allen could watch him play and understand how he is sooo much better at deciding thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Let's be honest... he's very average as an on field coach. Hell of a team builder/culture guy though (i dont say that sarcastically either)... Lucky he has 17. We're getting into danger territory where another wasted season may come at a price on the coaching front. As it should imo. Realistically though an underpermance likely shows Dorsey the door in lieu of an established OC.

The Dorsey situation is interesting..

Obviously Josh was all over it and “approved” the appointment …

If they get in someone else next year…maybe leave the call to MCD and Beane only …? 

Just throwing it out there ..

4 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Once again McD's decision to go for it on 4th and 2 instead of kick and extend our lead comes back to cost us the game, as it very nearly did in KC.

The other thing that is on McD/Frasier is lack of game coaching their dbacks, most notably Cam Lewis on the 4th and very long completion to Jefferson.  "Guys, its 4th down DO NOT CATCH THE BALL and try to get an INT.  Swat it down, hit it as hard as you can but in a contested catch situation trying to catch the ball can result in giving up a catch.  Duh"

Hyde made that mistake once, and today it was Cam Lewis.  He could have easily spiked that football instead of trying to outcatch Jefferson.  Game would have been over.

This is high school stuff.  Seriously.  Like holding the receivers in the 13 second game.  Basic.  Yet our guys don't seem to know it and they're not being reminded either.  How can this be?

It Lewis needs to be specifically told to swat the ball away on 4th down after being on the sideline witnessing the Hail Murray … he must have an IQ of room temperature…

I can’t blame the coaching staff for that one 

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

barry switzer

Edited by uticaclub

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.