I'm done.

letsgoteam

15 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Make fun of me, say I'm a liar, say whatever you want.

I'm done.

I'm 34 years old, married with a 1 month old. I live out of state. 

I have been a Bills fan all of my life, I'm not going to stop being a fan, I can't. I've been cursed. For many years, I dreamed when I finally had a kid that as they grew up, I would have someone who would love the Bills as much as I do, something we could share. My wife doesn't care about sports (it sucks). That dream is over, I'm not cursing my daughter to a lifetime of misery. 

Of course, I will keep up with the Bills, but I've got to change the way they have an impact in my life. Beyond my family and job, the Bills have come next. Watching every game, having whatever app needed to watch them out of state, clothing, $, etc. 

I'm done. I cant keep doing this. The way I feel after a loss has to stop (especially the epic meltdown losses we are all to familiar with); I'm miserable, I'm mad, I'm angry, it consumes me. I'm to emotionally invested. Beyond my job and family, the Bills have been everything and anyone who knows me knows its my identity. 

Something has to give. 

So, I thought about it after the KC game last season. Now after this, its time. I'm no longer watching the Bills live. 4 hours every "Sunday" for 17 weeks and whatever playoffs and preseason stuff. That's over 70+ hours each season. That's roughly 3 days of my life each year devoted to the Bills.

What has it given back to me, how am I a better person for doing this. What good, what accomplishments, what have I earned from this. 

NOTHING

All I do is become a emotional wreck and a miserable, grumpy jerk when they lose. (I can remember crying as a little kid, like 6/7 years old). The crying as a little kid, now is mostly just meant with anger. Any of my friends and family know. To the point of, my best friends wife, texted my wife and wanted to see how angry I was after the KC loss. It's embarrassing. I have become a side show spectacle, to point where people are curious how "epic" my meltdown was. (I would like to say, I actually took it like a champ, and kept it all in eternally and showed nothing emotionally). No anger, just disappointment in myself and the Bills. 

From here on, perhaps I go back to it at some point. I dont know. I'm just done. I am disappointed in myself more for caring so much for 30 years. 

From this point on, I'm not watching another Bills game live. I need to do better in my life, maybe this is a small step in the right direction. I know I will watch replays if they win (just like I might watch Netflix or Disney +), but I'm gaining my life back. I'm done.

Family first, man...

I don't care what anyone here says... no football game is worth sacrificing your family. If this is happening, take a break. It's your life and not anyone else's here. It's all good. Don't shame this man.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm done.

I have been a Bills fan all of my life, I'm not going to stop being a fan, I can't. I've been cursed. For many years, I dreamed when I finally had a kid that as they grew up, I would have someone who would love the Bills as much as I do, something we could share. My wife doesn't care about sports (it sucks). That dream is over, I'm not cursing my daughter to a lifetime of misery. 

Of course, I will keep up with the Bills, but I've got to change the way they have an impact in my life. Beyond my family and job, the Bills have come next. Watching every game, having whatever app needed to watch them out of state, clothing, $, etc. 

I'm done. I cant keep doing this. The way I feel after a loss has to stop (especially the epic meltdown losses we are all to familiar with); I'm miserable, I'm mad, I'm angry, it consumes me. I'm to emotionally invested. Beyond my job and family, the Bills have been everything and anyone who knows me knows its my identity. 

Something has to give. 

So, I thought about it after the KC game last season. Now after this, its time. I'm no longer watching the Bills live. 4 hours every "Sunday" for 17 weeks and whatever playoffs and preseason stuff. That's over 70+ hours each season. That's roughly 3 days of my life each year devoted to the Bills.

What has it given back to me, how am I a better person for doing this. What good, what accomplishments, what have I earned from this. 

NOTHING

All I do is become a emotional wreck and a miserable, grumpy jerk when they lose. (I can remember crying as a little kid, like 6/7 years old). The crying as a little kid, now is mostly just meant with anger. Any of my friends and family know. To the point of, my best friends wife, texted my wife and wanted to see how angry I was after the KC loss. It's embarrassing. I have become a side show spectacle, to point where people are curious how "epic" my meltdown was. (I would like to say, I actually took it like a champ, and kept it all in eternally and showed nothing emotionally). No anger, just disappointment in myself and the Bills. 

From here on, perhaps I go back to it at some point. I dont know. I'm just done. I am disappointed in myself more for caring so much for 30 years. 

From this point on, I'm not watching another Bills game live. I need to do better in my life, maybe this is a small step in the right direction. I know I will watch replays if they win (just like I might watch Netflix or Disney +), but I'm gaining my life back. I'm done.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Enjoy your life.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It’s tough I agree.

After KC last year it just felt like this team is forever going to be Charlie Brown. 

Jauronimo, I didn’t get off the wagon, I watch every Sunday and am going to Cleveland game, but obviously for all Bills fans you have to watch your coaches try to play 1971 football and play extreme soft prevent when you know exactly what the Chiefs are going to do.

It sucks to watch that play out, so I get if fans just say I don’t want to watch this or need a break. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm done.

Something has to give. 

NOTHING

Goodbye!

There were a couple other pussies in the gameday thread that said they were also done.  I hope they find a backbone to follow through with it.

Like a baby throwing toys out of their crib.

Edited by Bad Things

4 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

After the game was over and my blood pressure dropped down to manageable levels I went and hung out with my three year old, within minutes I was happy again. Football is entertainment, good or bad it is nothing more. If the Bill's lose, life goes on...if they win the Superbowl, yes, I will break down in tears of happiness but life will still go on. I love my Bill's but in the end it is just a game.

This is how I fill too, and on top of that this is the regular season. Let’s hope we’re healthy in the playoffs, and play better football. Life goes on. 

• Like (+1) 1

To all the goodbyes and everything else. I didn't say I'm leaving, Just that I need to go about things differently. Right now, live games are not good for me, or my family. 

As far as people being making things about "cursed", I'm exclusively talking about football. I have a great and wonderful life and blessed in many ways. 

The underlined portion is why I have to change my actions, I'm letting a football game (that I have zero control over, and will never have control over) ruin my day, etc. I need to take a step back. I'm still going to be a fan (again that's where the "cursed" thing was meant to be taken)... I just got be a fan in a way that doesn't make it have so much influence in my life. 

EDIT after I posted this: to make the point, family & job have always been the main priority and focus. That's why I have to make changes when I feel like its creeping into whats important.

Edited by letsgoteam

I hear ya brother.  The last two weeks have been especially awful because the guy who is supposed to take us to the next level has been the guy letting us down.

But as a guy a few years older than you let me give you two pieces of advice.   If you ever blessed with a Son, sports, especially the Bills, will help to further shape your relationship.    Its become part of my family's identity, faith, family and football.  

Secondly, the games use to get me very upset as well, but you gotta channel that stuff.   After the Jets game I got right on my mower and swept the lawn while listening to the post game.   Today, I offered to cook dinner, while listening to the post game.    Find something to channel that anger because its honestly a little silly to let it ruin your entire night.

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 3

You’re not done. You just needed to vent and I get it, that’s what this board is for. I can relate to some of the things you’re saying. I’m 38, have a 5-year-old and days like today I wish I wasn’t so obsessed with the Bills because of how I handle the losses. Hopefully writing that out helped you to some extent.

usually for me I go straight to WGR after a tough loss. This week I had no interest. This game was different. I don’t know why all of the insane endings in Bills history (especially as of late) seem to involve us losing.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm done.

Something has to give. 

NOTHING

I hear you brother. I am the same way. I take these things way too personally, and it takes a toll. I recognize that I have an issue and it is something I am working on. But I think too I would rather spend Sundays doing something with my family and follow the Bills later instead of watching live.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm done.

Something has to give. 

NOTHING

You have to learn to be all-in as a Bills fan (or a fan of whatever sports team) but also keep things in perspective:  this is a game; it’s entertainment. If you are not entertained then you are right, you should reprioritize things in your life. Dont get this down in the dumps buddy. You have a family. You have health. Let it just roll off. On to next week. Dont let a sport ruin your relationship with family or friends - that would be unfortunate. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm done.

Something has to give. 

NOTHING

It sounds like your priorities are shifting, which in this case is to your family. Your daughter will help you see what really matters. I have a 3 year old son and hanging out with him after a game makes me feel complete, way more than watching the Bills win a SB ever will. It will be great when it happens and I will feel amazing about the team’s accomplishment, but with your family it’s your accomplishment. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

So basically I think we put our own identity in the Bills. When they we we feel like winners. When they lose we feel like losers. We don't want to walk Ii to work or the store or wherever and head people make dumb comments as if we had any impact on the game. We don't. So really the game should not have an impact on us. I think it's crazy that I would be depressed for the next few days over a fricken game that I had nothing to do with. I understand what your saying in pretty much everything you said. Step back from all the articles, radio and message pats chat. Just watch the game if you'd like, just don't let it consume who you are. Hope that makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I'm done.

Something has to give. 

NOTHING

So, see ya next week then? ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.