Brian Daboll

The 9 Isles

On 11/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, Mrbojanglezs said:

This is the downside of having a defensive coach. Offensive coaches come and go and you have to reset. KC will always have this advantage on us.

Dorsey is a first year OC, he is learning too. 

Wouldn’t the opposite be true then as well? We will “always have the advantage” against KC on defense?

I’m ok with that.

Just now, Greg S said:

I think they will resign Barkley. He has been their best player on offense all year. Jones I am not so sure, but I am guessing they will bring him back as well.

I do too.

And I think both decisions could be regretted immediately...........and the results could be very different next season........in a bad way.

You don't want to be built around an expensive and oft-injured RB and a middling QB.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Greg S said:

If they beat the Colts this week they will clinch a playoff spot. Daboll has done an outstanding job considering the talent on the roster.

The Giants are currently ranked #20 in Offense and #27 in defense.

I wouldn’t call that an “outstanding job” … they just haven’t played many good teams this year.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

What?  Why?

It was a joke, nothing more, as typical sarcasm doesn’t show itself that well, 😁👍

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I wouldn’t call that an “outstanding job” … they just haven’t played many good teams this year.

They have Daniel Jones and WRs who wouldn't be on 31 other teams in the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Their roster is basically poop and that was before the injuries hit them. He has gotten them to 8-6-1 and one win away from clinching a WC. They probably were expected to win 4-5 games at best this year. He has done for the Giants what McDermott did for the Bills when they broke their playoff less streak. That team was 8-8 with Tyrod at QB. They had no business making the playoffs, but McDermott did a great job coaching that year. Same thing with Daboll and the Giants this year.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Dorsey does seem to be a rung or two lower (maybe more) down the ladder than Daboll.

In what way?  Daboll was with our team last year playing an easier schedule with an offensive line that was a little better than this year and he achieved about the same results.  I’d argue that Dorsey has been more consistent honestly,  there were a few games every season where the offense was just godawful for 4 quarters under Daboll and we haven’t seen that this season.   We’re a few unforced errors away from being undefeated this year 

this is your classic ‘the grass is always greener’ situation.  

if we were playing kc’s schedule we are easily the best offense in the league statistically.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

They have Daniel Jones and WRs who wouldn't be on 31 other teams in the NFL. 

Wan’dale Robinson was drafted in the 2nd round this year… in what world would he not be on any other team? I’d take him.

Daniel Jones is also not that bad. This “Daboll is elite” storyline needs to end… at least until he has more production. They’ve been an objectively bad team all year but stacked wins against worse teams early in a bad NFC conference.

19 hours ago, WideNine said:

It is a constantly evolving league and I think teams figured out how Daboll was making a limited roster over achieve. There could be other factors around thier struggles.

There could be a correlation to how Daboll calls games where they fall behind, or where he sees a stacked box and assumes he should call passing plays whether a defense is stopping Barkley or not.

Daboll was always pretty quick to abandon the run and try to throw his way back into a game if we fell behind or the runs were not consistently gaining chunks.

I find the splits data with their committment to running Saquan between winning and losing compelling.

Wins:

Attempts - 200 

Yards - 947

4.74 yds/att

Losses:

Attempts - 93

Yards - 307

3.3 yds/att

They average 26 rushing att/game that they won

They average 13.8 rushing att/game in games they lost so run Barkley about half as often.

Daboll doesn’t call the offense though. He gave that up like McD always suggested when you become HC. 

Kafka runs that offense. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Daboll has done well overall with the talent he has.  But my earlier thoughts have not changed - this early success may shorten Dabolls stay in NY.  

By overperforming early the Giants were unable to move Barkley for draft capital - which IMO is what Daboll would have wanted to do.  It may be backing the Giants into the unfortunate situation of one of the teams that give big expensive contracts to RBs.  The Giants will also be in poor position to do any radical moves for a QB.  

One of the boldest moves of the McBeane era was to retool the Bills after making the playoffs.  I don't know if Daboll will be given the luxury of the time needed for attempting something that radical now.

• Disagree 1

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do too.

And I think both decisions could be regretted immediately...........and the results could be very different next season........in a bad way.

You don't want to be built around an expensive and oft-injured RB and a middling QB.

If you don't have a pricey QB is easy to go splurge on a RB like Barkley. Fans and players will love it if you sign him, he will immensely help your offense and a young developing QB, and you aren't going to get enough for him to making dealing him worth it. 

At this point you have more to gain in signing him. 

They will absolutely not bring Jones back as the guy, they will draft someone most likely. 

I like our chances. We're way more injury ridden this year compared to last year yet we're not losing against bad teams, and we play up for the bigger games. Our of our losses are to teams either in the hunt still, clinched their division, and cliched a playoff spot. Vikings are #2 seed and that was the game right after Josh hurt his elbow. I think that injury is more serious than being reported and he's adjusting and progressing every week to it. 

Given it's Dorsey's first year, there have been many times I've cursed play-calling up and down this season, not sure if they really are load managing or what, but given a lot of firsts for many things this year with the team, I'm content where we're at and have never considered Daboll a key factor to the team's success the previous four years. I think he's still a good coach though. 

50 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Their roster is basically poop and that was before the injuries hit them. He has gotten them to 8-6-1 and one win away from clinching a WC. They probably were expected to win 4-5 games at best this year. He has done for the Giants what McDermott did for the Bills when they broke their playoff less streak. That team was 8-8 with Tyrod at QB. They had no business making the playoffs, but McDermott did a great job coaching that year. Same thing with Daboll and the Giants this year.

I watch a fair bit of giants games and the wr position may be poop but the roster as a whole isn’t.  

Thibodeaux/Leonard Williams/Dexter Lawrence are animals on the defensive side. Andrew Thomas has really come into his own in his third year too and finally gives them someone dependable on the offensive line.  That’s what they were sorely missing last year.  Theyve also got a healthy saquon this year too.  that’s really all it takes to win some games with the schedule they have.

They’re really winning with defense; all their wins/ties but one they have held their opponent to 20 or less points (packers scored 22) and they were all won by 8 points or less. They’ve also only beat one team who currently has a winning record (baltimore) although that could change if Jacksonville/gb win out 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, Einstein said:

The rumors are that Daboll and McD did not get along.

That very well could be because Daboll knew what we needed to do and McD wouldn’t allow it.

Flores lawsuit mentions that Daboll wanted out of Buffalo even if he didn’t get a head coaching job. He just wanted to be away from McD.

Of course this is true....not a rumor. McDermott failed to see the advantages of surrounding Josh with a great OL and extra weapons beyond Diggs.  Sean will always stress defense over offense and that will be his downfall. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't hear the same words from Allen about Dorsey as Daboll. I got the sense that Daboll may have done more "pure teaching". Josh: "Dabs, showed me ins and outs of how to be a pro football player, how to take charge, giving me examples from the quarterbacks "  

Maybe the needs have changed for OC, JA. 

12-3...so none of this matters (winning has a way of healing any problem!

(P.S. Now, if the defense crumbles post season with :13 left, this all gets very interesting...)

Edited by Since1981

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Wouldn’t the opposite be true then as well? We will “always have the advantage” against KC on defense?

I’m ok with that.

True, but in my opinion defensive coaches are easier to replace then offensive coaches and defensive coordinators are less likely to be hired as head coaches.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Daboll doesn’t call the offense though. He gave that up like McD always suggested when you become HC. 

Kafka runs that offense. 

True.

But he probably has his fingerprints on some of it and likely found an OC that shares his mindset for offensive play calling and scheme.

Much the way that McD would not likely bring in a DC whose scheme did not align with his defensive philosophies.

Point was more a correlation of teams abandoning the run and losing.

I think run/pass balance in this Nickel Tampa-2 heavy league is key to offensive consistency at least consistency getting into the red zone.

After that, defenses adjust to the shorter field and you just have to have the dominant line or the skill players, schemes, and execution to punch it in.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do too.

The issue with moving on from Jones is, what’s the alternative? He’s at least ok and still has upside potential (not saying he’ll reach it), but the alternatives are so bad. You can’t drop him and assume tanking will result in you (gm and coach) keeping your job either. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.