The Play Calling….

CEN-CAL17

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No one got open. Not one receiver. So they're either running terrible routes or the route tree dorsey has designed isn't working. 

or its the red zone and it’s crowded and common for windows to be small so you can’t be reckless 

Allen made some gross mistakes, but he shouldn't have been in position to do so. The play calling was not only ineffective, but it was basically the reason why the Vikings had any time left at the end at all. The last few minutes of regulation were so remarkably poorly managed.

Part of me thinks that Josh knew that, and that put even more pressure on him to make something happen. I believe that INT at the very end was all on him, unless somebody points out something else, but this was a comedy of errors where at certain parts it seemed like they were doing the one thing that you specifically would not do in that situation.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of a more frustrating, heartbreaking regular season loss.

Edited by Dick_Cheney
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No one got open. Not one receiver. So they're either running terrible routes or the route tree dorsey has designed isn't working. 

Defenders get paid too you know, they're not just there for looks. Sometimes they do their job & cover people... crazy, I know. 

In that situation, the right response isn't force a bad throw right into 2-3 defenders, it's throw it away or run. Josh also isn't looking for safety net/outlet passes underneath anymore, it's always press the issue even when there's zero chance it'll turn out well. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Don't even start with this... I don't want to hear blame on Frazier, Dorsey, McDermott, Gabe, Knox, Edmunds, etc etc etc... you know, all the usual shifting of blame. 

We had every opportunity to win it, and at each turn, Josh made costly mistakes. That simple, regardless of ANYTHING else.

We're lucky the Packers were so bad, otherwise it'd be a 3 game losing skid, all with multiple INT games from Allen.

Allen doesn't play this game, the Bills lose by 30.  There was nothing in that gameplan, offensive or defensive, that would have beaten the Vikings without Allen's heroics.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

It seems like it has an agenda that they are unwilling to let go of during games. Run the ball effectively, abandon it for the pass. Nickel nickel nickel nickel while Jefferson is manhandling us. Don’t double him. Jesus H

HNNNNGGGGGGGG

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

That last throw was all Josh 

Our last possession before Minnesota tied it up went incomplete deep to Diggs , incomplete to Diggs, incomplete to Singletary. 

Josh’s continuous need to try and force the ball down field is stalling drive after drive. And/or putting us in 3rd and tough situations which we can’t rely on over and over again. 

How many carries has Hines got? Glad we traded for him! Duke is coming off the PS to play goal line and return KOs, who makes those decisions?!

This team is frustrating. Don’t be surprised if we finish with a 10-7 record and miss the playoffs. The decision making is that bad!

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

throw it away then. You are in fg range in OT. You don’t have to win the game on that play. 

Heck we don't even have to win the game. A tie would have suited me just fine. I was curious how aggressive the play calling would get. It appeared they wanted to take 3 endzone shots and then kick a FG if that didn't work out. At least that is what Allen had in mind. Which is basically be super aggressive and then conservative. 

The play calling to start the game was great. Looked like Singletary was on his way to a career day but then he was stopped on a few plays and they totally bailed on running the football. Why didn't we involve James Cook and Nyheim Hines more, what was the purpose of getting these 2 players? Where were the RB screen plays? Until we stop being 1 dimensional this is probably going to be the norm.

Why not take the 3 points and put us ahead by 2 scores? No that isn't hindsight, I said it to myself and others before the play happened this is a dumb call. Even when Allen is having trouble or hurt we throw it 30+ times. This isn't a SB caliber team right now and it's not me being a Debbie downer after a loss, this was easily a blowout victory but the coaching staff ***** the bed and Allen didn't need to be the hero in this but this coaching staff will turn him into a villain if they aren't careful.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The play calling to start the game was great. Looked like Singletary was on his way to a career day but then he was stopped on a few plays and they totally bailed on running the football. Why didn't we involve James Cook and Nyheim Hines more, what was the purpose of getting these 2 players? Where were the RB screen plays? Until we stop being 1 dimensional this is probably going to be the norm.

Why not take the 3 points and put us ahead by 2 scores? No that isn't hindsight, I said it to myself and others before the play happened this is a dumb call. Even when Allen is having trouble or hurt we throw it 30+ times. This isn't a SB caliber team right now and it's not me being a Debbie downer after a loss, this was easily a blowout victory but the coaching staff ***** the bed and Allen didn't need to be the hero in this but this coaching staff will turn him into a villain if they aren't careful.

We were already up by 2 scores. Kicking a FG when you're up 10 to go up 13 doesn't change that. 

I liked the decision to go for it there. 

44 minutes ago, MPT said:

And the QB sneak fumble from the one inch line. 

That's one I didn't like from the moment they were lining up.  The Vikings knew what was coming in that situation I would have liked to see them hand off to Singletary behind a fullback, pitch outside to him or spread the defense out with an empty backfield.  Dabol's play calling is starting to be missed and so are the injured all-pro's in the secondary.

13 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

That's one I didn't like from the moment they were lining up.  The Vikings knew what was coming in that situation I would have liked to see them hand off to Singletary behind a fullback, pitch outside to him or spread the defense out with an empty backfield.  Dabol's play calling is starting to be missed and so are the injured all-pro's in the secondary.

That was a horrible play call. There's probably about a 5% chance of a defensive TD or 25% chance of a safety with 40 seconds left to get in field goal range.

If you roll out with Allen 4 times you can kill most of the 40 seconds by just throwing the ball away each time and taking an intentional safety on 4th down. The free kick would take the rest of the time if they try to return it or maybe one hail Mary if they down the ball immediately.

Edited by MPT

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.