NFL turf

ALF

NFL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION CALLS FOR TURF BAN AT SIX STADIUMS

The open-letter notes that games played on slit film turf have higher in-game injuries compared to other playing surfaces. Tretter references studies that show an increase in ankle, foot and other non-contact injuries that occurred more frequently on turf.

https://www.outkick.com/nfl-players-association-calls-for-turf-ban-at-six-stadiums/

Slit film turf is currently used in six stadiums: MetLife Stadium (New York Giants and New York Jets), Ford Field (Detroit Lions), U.S. Bank Stadium (Minnesota Vikings), Caesars Superdome (New Orleans Saints), Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis Colts) and Paycor Stadium (Cincinnati Bengals)

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know this is off topic but anyone ever go back and watch games that were on the 70s-90s Astro turf? It’s insane to think people used to get tackled on that. I wish every field was natural grass. Obviously the Cardinals show you it’s possible to have anywhere. It can be done.

I had a chance to end up on the field (for about 10 seconds) at Rich Stadium some time around our SB run, like 1990 let's say.  I still remember how bad it was, and how hard the ground was.

Also interesting from ground level to see how crowned the field is; much higher in the center than it is toward the sidelines for water drainage.  If Josh runs to the sideline then throws back to the middle of the field, he's throwing "up hill" effectively.

• Like (+1) 1

Slit film turf uses wide ribbons of plastic that are cut lengthwise multiple times after they’re woven into the base. Other turf has individual filaments woven in to the base. Slit film is older technology and I would guess that it is more slippery. 
fiber_types.jpg

Edited by Zag20
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Grass fields may be safer but they are rock hard in the north. Did anyone play football in December or January ? Does anyone go to a game in Chicago or Green Bay and see their dirt fields in winter? They might as well be playing in the parking lot. What you lose in knee injuries you gain in Trauma injuries. It isn’t as simple as growing grass in AZ and Dallas and keeping it nice for game time and sliding it in for the game without very costly management systems. Besides It would freeze upon contact with the cold and be an ice rink if you tried to have a side of the stadium slide in warm grow area. Now maybe our new stadium will produce enough of its own shelter from the cold to make a grass field possible but it won’t be friendly in winter no matter what. 

Edited by Locomark

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know this is off topic but anyone ever go back and watch games that were on the 70s-90s Astro turf? It’s insane to think people used to get tackled on that. I wish every field was natural grass. Obviously the Cardinals show you it’s possible to have anywhere. It can be done.

Wasn’t it basically a low nap quarter inch rug on top of concrete ? Terrible stuff 

3 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Grass fields may be safer but they are rock hard in the north. Did anyone play football in December or January ? Does anyone go to a game in Chicago or Green Bay and see their dirt fields in winter? They might as well be playing in the parking lot. What you lose in knee injuries you gain in Trauma injuries. It isn’t as simple as growing grass in AZ and Dallas and keeping it nice for game time and sliding it in for the game without very costly management systems. Besides It would freeze upon contact with the cold and be an ice rink if you tried to have a side of the stadium slide in warm grow area. Now maybe our new stadium will produce enough of its own shelter from the cold to make a grass field possible but it won’t be friendly in winter no matter what. 

Good point. IMO, football really isn’t a sport that’s meant to be played outdoors in heart of winter in places like Chicago, Cleveland and Buffalo. Not really good for anyone, and it’s becoming more and more common now that the schedule has been expanded and pushed deeper into January.

Just now, mannc said:

Good point. IMO, football really isn’t a sport that’s meant to be played outdoors in heart of winter in places like Chicago, Cleveland and Buffalo. Not really good for anyone, and it’s becoming more and more common now that the schedule has been expanded and pushed deeper into January.

I like the winter games as long as the wind chill is reasonable, but the natural turf just isn’t made for winter games. It gets slick, icy, and uneven.  Ice can cause ACL injuries just like turf can and it can also cause bad teams to beat good teams for no reason. 

3 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I like the winter games as long as the wind chill is reasonable, but the natural turf just isn’t made for winter games. It gets slick, icy, and uneven.  Ice can cause ACL injuries just like turf can and it can also cause bad teams to beat good teams for no reason. 

I think all the things you’re saying are true of artificial turf fields too.  For example, in some of the Bills’ late season games last year, inferior teams were able to play the Bills close because of the weather.

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They were playing ACL roulette every Sunday. Especially at the Vet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.