Should the Bills re-sign Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

22 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess my point is no one has to.  The remainder of this season (especially if 100%) healthy will mean a lot.

The second part of all this is, even if his play doesn't change, it comes down to how much he would sign for.

Spotrac $s ($14.8M) are a guide, not etched in stone.

I don't see him (as of now) deserving top 10 DT money, but I do see him somewhere between 10-20.

That would be a yearly average of around $9M.  

If he were to sign for $10, which is what Phillips, signed in AZ for, I don’t know how you justify not signing him with no stud in the pipeline. Just don’t give him more than 3-4 years. 

The window for the super bowl is closing fast.  Next year Miami and maybe even the Jets are going to compete for the division.  The run was fun while it lasted!   For Buffalo a championship is not meant to be.  Sorry Bills fans you have known nothing but pain and it will continue indefinitely.  I would say switch to the Sabres but stink even worse.

Just now, HugeHeffner11 said:

The window for the super bowl is closing fast.  Next year Miami and maybe even the Jets are going to compete for the division.  The run was fun while it lasted!   For Buffalo a championship is not meant to be.  Sorry Bills fans you have known nothing but pain and it will continue indefinitely.  I would say switch to the Sabres but stink even worse.

Next year? Miami and the Jets are competing now. The Bills winning the division isn't a lock. 

• Agree 1

Thought Ed had some noticeable and meaningful production today in pass pressures. Unfortunately, I think the film will show he was bullied a bit on the ground. I did she a split double team on one outside zoen out of the gun. I haven’t seen the tape, so this is just off of my single emotionally invested viewing. 

Anyone see anything worth note, aside from the obvious sacks and plays made?

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thought Ed had some noticeable and meaningful production today in pass pressures. Unfortunately, I think the film will show he was bullied a bit on the ground. I did she a split double team on one outside zoen out of the gun. I haven’t seen the tape, so this is just off of my single emotionally invested viewing. 

Anyone see anything worth note, aside from the obvious sacks and plays made?

He ate a ton of doubles and spent most of the day in the offensive backfield.

There were a couple plays where he got buried by the Center while he was engaged with the Guard, but nobody could deal with him straight up.

I’d take Edmunds over Oliver.  Edmunds has improved a ton this year and is integral to the pass defense. Oliver flashes a couple times a game but when he was out, it made no difference.  I don’t think Oliver is a JAG, but his size will always be an issue.  He doesn’t play with the crazy agility that makes smaller 3 Techs great - he’s more power. And he’s not long enough to dominate with power. Good player but some team will vastly overpay him.  

5 hours ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

No don't sign any of these losers.  Start over with all new players.  McDermott is NOT the answer.  He's not a good game day coach. He makes bad decisions, especlally on defense.  First thing they have to get a defensive cordinator.  Frazier doesn't know when to blitz.

5 hours ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Grand total of 3 posts before this rant and talks about Bills fans like he’s not one of them. Most obvious troll from another fanbase I’ve ever seen in my life.

2 hours ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I’d take Edmunds over Oliver.  Edmunds has improved a ton this year and is integral to the pass defense. Oliver flashes a couple times a game but when he was out, it made no difference.  I don’t think Oliver is a JAG, but his size will always be an issue.  He doesn’t play with the crazy agility that makes smaller 3 Techs great - he’s more power. And he’s not long enough to dominate with power. Good player but some team will vastly overpay him.  

I am somewhat disappointed in both. I thought Oliver was our most effective interior d lineman today by quite a bit. But for both players, when you look at the season overall they are underwhelming. Oliver has .5 sacks, Edmunds has 1. Edmunds has defended 4 passes, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, and 4 tackles for loss. Taron Johnson has 4 tackles for loss! Disappointing to say the least.

1 minute ago, Sestak4ever said:

I am somewhat disappointed in both. I thought Oliver was our most effective interior d lineman today by quite a bit. But for both players, when you look at the season overall they are underwhelming. Oliver has .5 sacks, Edmunds has 1. Edmunds has defended 4 passes, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, and 4 tackles for loss. Taron Johnson has 4 tackles for loss! Disappointing to say the least.

I’ve never been a fan of Edmunds but the Bills rarely blitz him so he’s not gonna rack up those stats.    His length and speed in the passsing game makes windows smaller and very hard to attack the middle of the field.  He also is closing on WRs much faster this year.  They use Taron basically as a SAM and bring him off the edge a few times a game and usually, he comes free.  

Oliver flashed at times today but again, not enough.  He just doesn’t play like a small 3 tech. He’s all bully, no twitch. Like i said, he’ll get paid though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.