Should the Bills re-sign Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Legitimate question but can't get myself to care one way or another right now with another full season on his deal.

I'd be inclined to say no at this point, though.     Despite not really breaking out yet he was their best DL last season........but it's a short fall to irrelevance for an undersized DT if they get injured.  

Rousseau will assume that role as the most important DL and he is eligible for extension after next season.

I fully expect the Bills to be back drafting a DL in the first 2 rounds again this spring......like it or not it's what they do......and that could be a 3T.  

Yea, I think it’ll be paying edge rushers (vm and GR) and platooning a mix of young and tier 3 vet interior guys if mapping our current roster over the next 3 year turnover 

Ed falls into that category of decent player you can probably get by with, but not worth what the market will probably bear. The Bills are going to have to make good decisions on these types of players to effectively manage the cap. 

Knox is one of these types of players and hopefully he’ll begin to live up to his contract. 

The key is structuring these types of players’ contract such that you can bail out relatively painlessly. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Ed falls into that category of decent player you can probably get by with, but not worth what the market will probably bear. The Bills are going to have to make good decisions on these types of players to effectively manage the cap. 

Knox is one of these types of players and hopefully he’ll begin to live up to his contract. 

The key is structuring these types of players’ contract such that you can bail out relatively painlessly. 

If we throw Knox the freakin' ball he would live up to the contract, great hands and routes.

I thought he was playing his best ball last season and was really excited to see him play this year with a better all around cast surrounding him on the D-line.  He looked great on opening night before getting injured and really hasn't done anything since.  I know we need to see more out of him but I'm not ready to write him off yet

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I dont see how this FO lets both Edmunds and Oliver walk. And i dont think it would be smart. One of them will be around. 

I would hesitantly keep Oliver over Tremaine,  but there's no way I'm paying him 14M.  I honestly have no clue what we're going to do with him, Gabe & Poyer??.....Edmunds is as good as gone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Spotrac has his market value projected at 14.8 Mil per year. Too rich for my blood, but I think they will work out a deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/market-value/

I agree.  I'd rather sign the other DTs to extensions that together will be less than 14mill/year.  

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would hesitantly keep Oliver over Tremaine,  but there's no way I'm paying him 14M.  I honestly have no clue what we're going to do with him, Gabe & Poyer??.....Edmunds is as good as gone.

Poyer is consistently good but old and getting injured.  The others are inconsistent between great and average.  Teams will overpay for this.  Living in Pgh, I noticed that the Steelers would not overpay for these players and let them walk when they had Ben.  They kept a "core" intact, but you can't keep everyone.  Good drafting and FA are key to hold up the entire roster.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Guys like you would’ve already chalked Williams up as a bust if he was here. He did virtually nothing until this season. Oliver has been far more consistent, albeit average, than Williams over the course of their short careers.

? the stats don't really back that up.

First three season they had the same amount of TFL and Williams had 3.5 more sacks. Williams played in 41 games vs 49 for Oliver in each players first three seasons. It appears Oliver has been more available than Williams up to this season but that's gone out the window now with Oliver missing 4 games. When Williams has been on the field he's clearly been more productive. 

• Like (+1) 1

A low key “we told you Jordan Davis was going to be awesome” thread.  

Beane’s drafts are starting to look extraordinarily average post 2017 and 2018.  

Best draft picks since 2018 (4 drafts)

Justin Jefferson for Diggs
Groot

Davis

Oliver 

Benford?  

Not enough cheap young elite talent on O to surround Josh with as he enters the big money years of his contract.  Not on the Oline.  Not at WR currently either (Davis about to get paid or traded).  And definitely not at RB. 

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

? the stats don't really back that up.

First three season they had the same amount of TFL and Williams had 3.5 more sacks. Williams played in 41 games vs 49 for Oliver in each players first three seasons. It appears Oliver has been more available than Williams up to this season but that's gone out the window now with Oliver missing 4 games. When Williams has been on the field he's clearly been more productive. 

All you have to do is remember back to the previous Bills v Jets games. Williams was a non-factor. He’s having a helluva year this season. But, he’s been nothing like this in previous seasons.

Now, I’m not saying Oliver is better, or even as good. I’m just pointing out that Quinnen Williams has not been all that until this season. That should lead to hope that Oliver can also progress at a similar rate, injury be damned.

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Spotrac has his market value projected at 14.8 Mil per year. Too rich for my blood, but I think they will work out a deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/market-value/

Didn't one of these sites have Levi Wallace's market value at 8 million and he signed with Pittsburgh for half that.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Beane will figure something out. But there is no chance in hell we lose Oliver, Edmunds and Poyer. One of those will get paid. And it’ll likely come down to Edmunds and/or Oliver. Id lean towards Edmunds since coverage abilities are so important in this defense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.