Should the Bills re-sign Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

19 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Right…but if you had to make the call today what would you do?  I’d probably pass

I guess my point is no one has to.  The remainder of this season (especially if 100%) healthy will mean a lot.

The second part of all this is, even if his play doesn't change, it comes down to how much he would sign for.

Spotrac $s ($14.8M) are a guide, not etched in stone.

I don't see him (as of now) deserving top 10 DT money, but I do see him somewhere between 10-20.

That would be a yearly average of around $9M.  

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The day of that draft, there were a lot of rumors that we were trying to move up and take Quinnen Williams.

It would have been great if that came to fruition.

I would argue Simmons is in a tier of his own called 1b. He’s not quite Donald but he is an absolute game wrecker above everyone else not named Donald.

If that would’ve happened, we likely wouldn’t have Diggs.  It would’ve cost our next years first rd pick + to move up to take him.  It would’ve been terrible. 

38 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

Ed O is such a frustrating player. He has had games where he seems to be around the ball or in the backfield all day disrupting the offense. As another poster stated though, he is totally invisible for long stretches. Hard to even tell he’s on the field. I wouldn’t mind seeing him resign but he probably wants a lot of $$. Let someone else pay it. Overall he’s been a major disappointment considering his draft position and lack of development.

I’m not a guy who goes back and watches “film” or isolates on one player that often so I’m definitely not saying this as fact.

That said, besides his injury, I wonder if what we see has to do with offensive game plan/blocking scheme. Maybe he is dominate enough that some games protection and double teams get directed his way and other games not. So some games he disappears but others get freed up, and other games he gets lots of one on ones and appears dominant.

Legitimate question but can't get myself to care one way or another right now with another full season on his deal.

I'd be inclined to say no at this point, though.     Despite not really breaking out yet he was their best DL last season........but it's a short fall to irrelevance for an undersized DT if they get injured.  

Rousseau will assume that role as the most important DL and he is eligible for extension after next season.

I fully expect the Bills to be back drafting a DL in the first 2 rounds again this spring......like it or not it's what they do......and that could be a 3T.  

First question that needs to be asked is how high do the Bills rank Oliver compared to other DT’s around the the league…is he top 10, 15, 20?

He’s certainly not a guy you break the bank for because he’s not a game changer…That being said, I would feel uncomfortable giving him anything more than $13-14 million per year…And even then, I wouldn’t mind trying to upgrade the position…

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think it’s talked about how DTs in our scheme don’t put up the numbers. If that’s true, why sign him long term? He likely wouldn’t resign here anyways. He’ll want to go someplace where he can get sacks. 

21 minutes ago, Cusefan66214 said:

Sign him. He's the second coming of marcell dareus 

Crazy to say Dareus had a significantly more productive career. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.