Ike Boettger back to practice

artmalibu

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Two posters who should be coaching  .... for other teams for Aaron Kromer would let them no where near his players.

I’m not saying I can coach, I’m saying I can see 👀. I’ll leave the coaching to guys like Jeff Saturday 😂 Kromer isn’t going to be let around our players soon if he doesn’t start doing a better job. The line has looked good at times, but then just awful. I hope they figure it out soon. 

Edited by Dr. Football
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, hemma said:

Good news for the interior. Once he’s ready, might be 1st guard up if Saffold or Bates gets down.

I think they played him some at Center during camp last year.  May be a better bet than Van Roten as emergency C.

Agreed… Ike isn’t going to step in starting guard and change the OL.  But he could prove to be an upgrade over the depth they could have on the interior OL, especially as he gets better acclimated from the injury.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Football said:

I’m not saying I can coach, I’m saying I can see 👀. I’ll leave the coaching to guys like Jeff Saturday 😂 Kromer isn’t going to be let around our players soon if he doesn’t start doing a better job. The line has looked good at times, but then just awful. I hope they figure it out soon. 

Would you like him to go on the field and block for them? 

When it comes down to it, the offensive line struggles are more often than not, physical failures rather than mental error. When ***** hits the fan, it is generally a player getting flat out beat. Coaches can only do so much. If you have any gripes about the quality of the OL, I would take issue with Beane’s insistence on investing in the DL while throwing minimal assets to the offensive side of the ball in comparison. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Would you like him to go on the field and block for them? 

When it comes down to it, the offensive line struggles are more often than not, physical failures rather than mental error. When ***** hits the fan, it is generally a player getting flat out beat. Coaches can only do so much. If you have any gripes about the quality of the OL, I would take issue with Beane’s insistence on investing in the DL while throwing minimal assets to the offensive side of the ball in comparison. 

That doesn't really hold up. 4/5ths of this line has proven they can play at a high level in this league in the past. Dawkins and Saffold are playing the worst ball of their careers. Morse may be past his prime as he just isn't stout enough to hold up against bull rushes, but he also has a talent level higher than he's showing. Bates is playing solid ball. He might be playing the best of anyone on the line right now. RT is an obvious need.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

That doesn't really hold up. 4/5ths of this line has proven they can play at a high level in this league in the past. Dawkins and Saffold are playing the worst ball of their careers. Morse may be past his prime as he just isn't stout enough to hold up against bull rushes, but he also has a talent level higher than he's showing. Bates is playing solid ball. He might be playing the best of anyone on the line right now. RT is an obvious need.

I will agree with you at RT.

I will disagree with you on the rest. Saffold is a 34 year old vet. You can argue it’s coaching, or you can admit he just is a middle of the road talent who is aging out of his prime. He’s the 20th highest paid guard. His talent is not anything special.

Morse is still playing good football. He too is no spring chicken, and at 30 years old and relatively light for an OL, no wonder he struggles with a powerful rush. He is best on the move in the run game IMO. 

I cannot speak to Dawkins, as I haven’t looked at his production this year in comparison to the previous seasons. I will say he is more noticeable on tape, not in a good way. He, too is a middle of the road talent. He is the 19th highest paid LT in the league this season. He is serviceable.

I will say it again and you can disagree, which is fine. The issue up front is not the coach, but instead the level of talent,assets and investments spent into the offensive line over the last few years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, hemma said:

Good news for the interior. Once he’s ready, might be 1st guard up if Saffold or Bates gets down.

I think they played him some at Center during camp last year.  May be a better bet than Van Roten as emergency C.

I had forgotten Van Roten is a rostered player on this team. That should be rectified.

19 hours ago, hemma said:

Maybe, but hasn't Van Roten played center in a real game? So has Bates, for that matter.

Edited by Herb Nightly
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Maybe, but hasn't Van Roten played center in a real game? So has Bates, for that matter.

I mentioned it as a possible option.  Boettger has some positional flexibility.

As I recall from earlier in the year, Van Roten also had very limited experience, several bad exchanges, along with poor blocking. 

Pretty shallow depth and needs more competition.

Since we can only get very limited practice reports, there is no way to know if Bates takes a few snaps each week or if Boettger will be worked in along the way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I mentioned it as a possible option.  Boettger has some positional flexibility.

As I recall from earlier in the year, Van Roten also had very limited experience, several bad exchanges, along with poor blocking. 

Pretty shallow depth and needs more competition.

Since we can only get very limited practice reports, there is no way to know if Bates takes a few snaps each week or if Boettger will be worked in along the way.

Better to go with  VanRotten

image.png.833d88a459e494db4d2e9e19aeb5bf51.png

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.