Will Kevin McCarthy Be The Speaker Of The House? Or Mitch Senate Majority Leader?

Tiberius

8 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

not to jump in but reading your posts you seem to always go with the most extreme circumstance. 

socal talks about how the "poor" seem to maintain a very high standard of living and you talk about the truley poor and humanism and compassion.

i think there is a middle ground ignored by the bernies/ progressives of the world. wherever there is compassion and empathy there are people more then willing to exploit it. in this aspect i think charity should be individualized not stolen against ones will by force.

jump all you'd like to.  I don't believe that humanism, compassion or empathy are extreme concepts.  This is why I can't square conservative Christians with MAGA.  They read the bible literally but seemingly missed "whatsoever you do to the least..."

Edited by redtail hawk

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

jump all you'd like to.  I don't believe that humanism, compassion or empathy are extreme concepts.  This is why I can't square conservative Christians with MAGA.  They read the bible literally but seemingly missed "whatsoever you do to the least..."

if i might ask what was your upbringing. im from a city. ive known tons of friends family ect that love nothing more then people with your view. you are basically FORCING your humanism ideas onto others. when you talk about your extremes then i dont think you will find many that disagree that those truley in need should recieve help. the problem is that "bernies" for lack of a better, are always talking about raising bars and giving more. no talk about lowering bars or setting standards such as requiring gunuine efforts to rejoin the workforce ect ect. so we DO have a society where "poor" now means living a VERY comfortable life. i see it all the time. so much so it is enticing to those of us who have to start at the bottom to say why bother. why work at a job when i CAN MAKE MORE off of your empathy? and you want MORE given..thats the only topic.  

if leftists would talk more about fixing corruption..which will require kicking people off systems ect. everything against your moral standard you want for everyone. i think you would find there may be plenty available to help those truley in need. this is why i think it should be individualistic. your standard, your unwillingness to fix the corruption, then your more then welcome to give as much as you like.

until then its the usual leftists demanding others to live to their ideology where rightist what individual choice. not sure in a society based on freedom why the left doesn't see this as a big problem with their constant demands.

10 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

if i might ask what was your upbringing. im from a city. ive known tons of friends family ect that love nothing more then people with your view. you are basically FORCING your humanism ideas onto others. when you talk about your extremes then i dont think you will find many that disagree that those truley in need should recieve help. the problem is that "bernies" for lack of a better, are always talking about raising bars and giving more. no talk about lowering bars or setting standards such as requiring gunuine efforts to rejoin the workforce ect ect. so we DO have a society where "poor" now means living a VERY comfortable life. i see it all the time. so much so it is enticing to those of us who have to start at the bottom to say why bother. why work at a job when i CAN MAKE MORE off of your empathy? and you want MORE given..thats the only topic.  

if leftists would talk more about fixing corruption..which will require kicking people off systems ect. everything against your moral standard you want for everyone. i think you would find there may be plenty available to help those truley in need. this is why i think it should be individualistic. your standard, your unwillingness to fix the corruption, then your more then welcome to give as much as you like.

until then its the usual leftists demanding others to live to their ideology where rightist what individual choice. not sure in a society based on freedom why the left doesn't see this as a big problem with their constant demands.

I'm very willing and eager to root out corruption.  Ending campaign contributions would be a great start.  term limits next.  My upbringing was upper middle class, loving family (my dad was on a county Republican board), WNY values, good schools, good universities etc. so I did ok in the womb lottery.

Edited by redtail hawk

22 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I'm very willing and eager to root out corruption.  Ending campaign contributions would be a great start.  term limits next.  My upbringing was upper middle class, loving family, WNY values, good schools, good universities etc. so I did ok in the womb lottery.

well this is the divide i see. when you go to a store to buy a hundred dollars of food you dont see 5 people ahead of you swiping a card given by the gov with 300 dollars. you dont have uncles with "back issues" doing roofing side jobs as the collect multiple state checks. you dont go to work and see people barbecuing drinking with friends everyday to come home and see them in the exact same spot when you get home. you prob have no clue what your taxes go for in alot of cases. you have this idea what "poor" means at this point but it makes you feel human to say we need to do more and more with no talk of addressing any of these issues.

if the left activley addressed some of these more would be available and people would be more willing. they dont as that would anger voters who take advantage AND people like yourself that hear from afar..."poor" are getting kicked off systems " that they need to survive". that sounds cruel so you won't support it. 

like i said i know alot of people that love people with your ideology.

ill take the bullet step out of the virtue signal and come across as a monster with no empathy. in the long run it will help more who truley need it. because i actually see it everywhere i look.

i dont force that view on you but you are determined to force yours on me?  

Edited by Buffarukus

48 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Well if Socal got his way there would be far fewer donations to charity because he wants to take away tax deductions for them.  I guess it wouldn't matter to the trumps of the world but it would matter

I obviously disagree on many of your points but I’ll bet if we had the opportunity you’d find were way more aligned than you think. I give a tremendous amount to charity and would happily give more if the tax structure was different. If deductions are eliminated then the base tax rates would be reduced (but everyone would pay something) and people would have significantly more money to donate to the causes that they personally support…not the causes the government has deemed as somehow better than others, after they’ve siphoned off a fortune to no name government cubicle workers. 

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

I don't believe the Swiss live in Utopia but I'd rather be closer to their standards than further away from them than Mexico.  someone asked what I liked about Bernie.  Much of it has to do with the above.  I'm not  naive.  I don't see Bernie ever becoming president.  But he is the Socratic gadfly that moves us further towards humanism and compassion.

Bernie? The man with four mansions who keeps telling us how unfair the country is and he is on our side? That Bernie? Lol, he’s just another grifter.

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

Bernie? The man with four mansions who keeps telling us how unfair the country is and he is on our side? That Bernie? Lol, he’s just another grifter.

idk, for a 81 yo that has worked all his life, has a working spouse and 1 child, this doesn't seem out of line especially if he invested wisely:  https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances/net-worth?cid=N00000528

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

idk, for a 81 yo that has worked all his life, has a working spouse and 1 child, this doesn't seem out of line especially if he invested wisely:  https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances/net-worth?cid=N00000528

Are you serious? He was given a mansion as a reward for dropping out of the race by the DNC. He’s a crook just like the rest of them. 

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The governmnet is the cause of what? Poverty? 

Good to know your reading comprehension is still terrible, new year same Tibs.

4 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Ever worked at a food bank and watched the people file in?  Ever packed backpacks for school kids to ensure they get a meal that day?  Visit Appalachia.  See the old, rusty, drafty trailers. Actually, just go to a trailer park near you.  Check out one of these sometime and watch people queue to have teeth pulled. https://www.ramusa.org.  There are "real" poor.

I have worked at food banks and many other places similar, I have never worked to help the rural American poor but I have worked professionally  in Compton, Watts, Southside Chicago, 3 mile Rd in Detroit and many similar places throughout the country. I have also seen people in their world countries who who literally have nothing, so I do understand how bad life can be for some. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

We know they'll be good at tearing things down.  the question is what can they actually build?

Since the budget/spending is locked in for the upcoming year, and any legislation will be vetoed at the White House, they’re essentially left with their oversight and investigation role. I hope they actually do some! 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

We know they'll be good at tearing things down.  the question is what can they actually build?

There's no question about either party's ability to build. They can't/won't. 

There's a reason why congress' approval ratings have been anemic for decades.

21 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

There's no question about either party's ability to build. They can't/won't. 

There's a reason why congress' approval ratings have been anemic for decades.

See my post above. In actual fact there are very few "building" things left for the incoming Congress to do. Kentucky Mitch took most of their tools away.

• Like (+1) 2