RIP Comedian Gallagher.

Greg S

Gallagher, the observational and prop comedian known for smashing watermelons as part of his act, has died at the age of 76.

TMZ reports that Gallagher passed away Friday, November 11th, under hospice care. He had been in ill health after suffering several heart attacks in recent years.

During his heyday in the 1980s, Gallagher was one of the most popular acts in comedy, filming multiple specials for HBO and Showtime. His signature bit involved using a large wooden mallet — which he called the “Sledge-O-Matic” — to smash watermelons and other objects. The segment actually began as a parody of the Veg-O-Matic commercials that saturated television in the 1960s, but Gallagher’s wit ensured that the Slede-O-Matic lasted long after the Veg-O-Matic had been all but forgotten.

In 2004, Comedy Central ranked Gallagher as the 100th best standup comedian of all time. He took issue with his placement, however, saying in an interview at the time: “I looked at the other people and I was trying to find anyone I ever heard of. How could I be behind people I never heard of? … I made 13 one-hour shows for Showtime. I invented the one-man show on cable.”

In 2003, Gallagher ran for governor of California in the state’s gubernatorial recall election, and finished in 16th place after receiving nearly 5,500 votes.

In the recently released “Weird Al” Yankovic biopic, Gallagher was portrayed by Paul F. Tompkins.

This is a developing story…

I went to one of his shows back in the early 80's. The guy was massively popular. He came on stage and began to smack talk about other neighboring cities in CO (Greeley) and the crowd went NUTS. It was one of those laughs when you could barely catch your breath you were laughing so hard. 

I remember they passing out plastic tarps to the front rows so you could salvage your outfits from flying fruits and vegetables. Watermelons guts galore lol

RIP Gallagher. That was by far the best comedy show I've ever seen live.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, muppy said:

I went to one of his shows back in the early 80's. The guy was massively popular. He came on stage and began to smack talk about other neighboring cities in CO (Greeley) and the crowd went NUTS. It was one of those laughs when you could barely catch your breath you were laughing so hard. 

Ahhh, the smells of Greeley Colorado... I remember them well.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he had a brother or something that did the same act, right?

Can't any Gallagher Bros. play nice? (Referencing Liam & Noah)....Anyway:

"Conflict with Brother:

In the early 1990s, Gallagher's younger brother Ron asked him for permission to perform shows using Gallagher's trademark Sledge-O-Matic routine. Gallagher granted his permission on the condition that Ron, who shared a strong likeness to Leo, and his manager clarified in promotional materials that it was Ron Gallagher, not Leo Gallagher, who was performing. Ron typically performed in venues smaller than those in which Leo Gallagher performed. After several years, Ron began promoting his act as Gallagher Too or Gallagher Two. In some instances, Ron's act was promoted in a way that left unclear the fact that he was not the original Gallagher. This, and also Ron's off-stage troubles, left a stain on Leo's reputation as well.

Gallagher initially responded by requesting only that his brother not use the Sledge-O-Matic routine. Ron nonetheless continued to tour as Gallagher Too using the routine. In August 2000, Gallagher sued his brother for trademark violations and false advertising. The courts ultimately sided with him, and an injunction was granted prohibiting Ron from performing any act that impersonated his brother in small clubs and venues. This injunction also prohibited Ron from intentionally bearing likeness to Leo."

~SOURCE:  WikiEiL...

• Like (+1) 1

I used to love him back in the day, but forgot about him until just last week when I stumbled on an article about him.

The jist of the story was that he had turned into a bitter old man, who thought he deserved a LOT more recognition (and money) for him being a comedy genius.

Now I read that he has died. 

Anyway, thanks for all the laughs!

(Side story... back in the early 90's a few friends and I decided to rent a couple comedy videos.  We chose a George Carlin tape and a Gallagher tape.  They were both funny, but there was a point in both of their shows where they told the exact same jokes as each other.  I remember all of us looking at each other, think we all lost our minds.  I've always wondered who wrote and performed that material first.)

Saw him live and am old enough to have experienced his peak career time. Was pretty funny and live show was great as long as you didn’t sit close to the stage!   Was a family type show as far as I remember , certainly not edgy or vulgar and didn’t attack lifestyles etc. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy   This and losing the guy who played lebeau ( French chef guy of hogans hero’s , does makes me sad. Had seen Robin Williams in Vegas not long before his death. It’s like losing parts of your own life as these icons and larger than life people that were legit celebrities move on to something better I can only hope and pray for. They provided moments of relief and laughs and I am thankful they were a part of my memories. Time flies and it really is too short.  Bless them , and I pray you all enjoy your own health as long as you can prolong it so you can keep enjoying the Bills, your family and friends, great holidays, and even some more beautiful snowfalls!  😊🍸

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.