DC Attorney General is filing civil lawsuit for collusion against Snyder, Commanders, Goodell, & NFL

chongli

54 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

I found Snyder's remarks on Wilson - may not be everything he said, but this was captured ...

“We are deeply saddened by the passing of the great Ralph Wilson. All of us have lost a NFL legend whose passion for his team was inspiring. We will always be thankful for Ralph’s contributions to the development of the AFL and NFL.”

Daniel Snyder, Redskins owner

This and more reactions to Wilson's passing here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/league-reacts-to-the-passing-of-ralph-wilson/

The part I recall him talking about how when he first bought the Redskins, he stated that RW talked with him more than a number of other owners did early on. Sounded like RW was more friendly with him than other owners were at the time.  

Sounded like at the owners meetings the owner all kind of have unofficial assigned seating and Washington and Buffalo were near each other so that helped kindle their early chats.

So if they win who will reap the benefits of it ? Where will the money go ? Or what will be the prize if they prove wrong doing ?

And besides it's a Washington DC area thing corruption just seems to surround the entire area so would they expect anything different ??

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The part I recall him talking about how when he first bought the Redskins, he stated that RW talked with him more than a number of other owners did early on. Sounded like RW was more friendly with him than other owners were at the time.  

Sounded like at the owners meetings the owner all kind of have unofficial assigned seating and Washington and Buffalo were near each other so that helped kindle their early chats.

Interesting.  Thanks for that.

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Wow, guilt by association? Pitiful.

i was simply reacting with the fairness others give Snyder. Wilson had nothing to do with it - most of us know that. But, he was in charge so people think he should be acountable, right?

17 hours ago, BisonMan said:

Did that effectively “defraud” the public? That’s the only real question that matters here. If the AG can prove that hiding the facts in this case had the effect of increasing ticket sales (or in this case keep sales from falling faster), maintaining merchandise revenue or benefiting the team and the NFL in other financial ways – they are likely to be found guilty. This is a civil case so Daniel won't be spending and time on his knees in the DC Central Detention Facility…as ironically fitting as that might be.

Why is it intuitive that, had consumers of Commanders products known that there was yet another investigation into Snyder, they would not have bought tickets or merchandise?  The Commanders would have not "maintained their fan base"?

That's a ridiculous basis for consumer fraud.  Who in that region doesn't understand what and who Snyder is?  They are there to see a game and support their team. How does the AG prove that the fan base would have reacted differently had they known that Snyder (who had already settled a harassment suit which was widely known) was again being investigated.  

It should be obvious to the AG that most fans would have welcomed this news--hoping it would be the end of Snyder...and better news for their beloved team.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is it intuitive that, had consumers of Commanders products known that there was yet another investigation into Snyder, they would not have bought tickets or merchandise?  The Commanders would have not "maintained their fan base"?

That's a ridiculous basis for consumer fraud.  Who in that region doesn't understand what and who Snyder is?  They are there to see a game and support their team. How does the AG prove that the fan base would have reacted differently had they known that Snyder (who had already settled a harassment suit which was widely known) was again being investigated.  

It should be obvious to the AG that most fans would have welcomed this news--hoping it would be the end of Snyder...and better news for their beloved team.

I don't know that it is "intuitive", which was my point. The AG has to prove that was the case otherwise Snyder and the NFL will not be liable. 

Fraud can certainly be committed by people who have poor reputations (a.k.a. Snyder) on their customer base. The public was aware of the investigation. The secrecy that the team and the NFL engaged in to keep any investigation results from being made public points to the fact that at least the team and league felt public disclosure would have deleterious affects on revenue. I agree it is difficult to prove that type of case against any company.  Had the NFL and the team publicly disclosed the results of the investigation (while keeping the names of the victims secret), there would be no case. Fraud requires that the perpetrator misrepresent or hide information from its victims (i.e. the paying fanbase) in order to get their money. 

Again, I think this case may be hard to prove but I have no way of knowing what information/testimony the AG already has in his pocket. Does he have members of team management on record telling him that the team and the NFL colluded to keep information from the public to protect team/league revenue? Does he have information that the NFL lied when they claimed that they wouldn't release the findings of the investigation to "protect the victims"? 

It will certainly be interesting to see what comes out publicly from the trial. 

Edited by BisonMan
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, chongli said:

Ok good to know. My grandfather lived in NY but worked in PA, and he had to pay both states' income taxes, IIRC.

DC has tried to get out of District workers to pay District income taxes multiple times but representatives and senators from VA and MD have blocked it.

DC instead has gone to collecting money in parking fines and other such things while some enforcers ignoring cars from DC doing same thing,

I was in district one time for a convention and walked outside eating meal and saw a parking attendant giving tickets to out of state cars but not DC ones.

I pointed out cars to attendant and was told "I know how to do my job" and with me standing there watching DC cars be skipped.

I got a parking ticket one time for not paying money in meter but I was had a handicapped hanging tag.

Was told by DC that they do not count those since "hanging tags are abused by out of district parkers".

Paid fine despite not agreeing with it and nothing in rules stating this.

A month later I got another ticket in mail and it was for same location on different date. 

I had not been in DC since that ticket and I was at work with proof of both where I was and where I was parked.

I noticed that the same typos were on both tickets.

Sent letter to DC with proof where car and I was and received letter stating "You are responsible for tickets even if car was borrowed. If ticket is not paid car will be put on a  list and when seen booted, towed and will need to pay fine,  late fees, tow cost and storage."

I sent back letter to DC stating that the ticket was false showing multiple places were typos were the same.  I also sent copies of receipts with sales tax circled and told them I will not be doing business in DC and i sent a copy of this letter to each of the merchants who I had done business with. I also sent a copy of letter to my representative who is on DC appropriation committee.

I got no responses. I never got my car targeted in DC again.

DC is as corrupt as $nyder.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

DC has tried to get out of District workers to pay District income taxes multiple times but representatives and senators from VA and MD have blocked it.

DC instead has gone to collecting money in parking fines and other such things while some enforcers ignoring cars from DC doing same thing,

I was in district one time for a convention and walked outside eating meal and saw a parking attendant giving tickets to out of state cars but not DC ones.

I pointed out cars to attendant and was told "I know how to do my job" and with me standing there watching DC cars be skipped.

I got a parking ticket one time for not paying money in meter but I was had a handicapped hanging tag.

Was told by DC that they do not count those since "hanging tags are abused by out of district parkers".

Paid fine despite not agreeing with it and nothing in rules stating this.

A month later I got another ticket in mail and it was for same location on different date. 

I had not been in DC since that ticket and I was at work with proof of both where I was and where I was parked.

I noticed that the same typos were on both tickets.

Sent letter to DC with proof where car and I was and received letter stating "You are responsible for tickets even if car was borrowed. If ticket is not paid car will be put on a  list and when seen booted, towed and will need to pay fine,  late fees, tow cost and storage."

I sent back letter to DC stating that the ticket was false showing multiple places were typos were the same.  I also sent copies of receipts with sales tax circled and told them I will not be doing business in DC and i sent a copy of this letter to each of the merchants who I had done business with. I also sent a copy of letter to my representative who is on DC appropriation committee.

I got no responses. I never got my car targeted in DC again.

DC is as corrupt as $nyder.

I have no doubt DC is corrupt in many ways. Sorry for your experiences, and thanks for explaining the war among jurisdictions in the DMV area.

Regarding the handicapped stuff, all jurisdictions (except NYC) are required to honor "foreign" disability placards, meaning from other jurisdictions, mostly out-of-state. Some don't make you pay the parking meter, like California, but most do. According to the website, DC allows you to park double the time at a meter, but apparently you still have to pay. I'm not sure if you have to pay for the time that is doubled, but am not sure how else parking attendants would know. But you would know better than I.

https://dmv.dc.gov/service/dmv-disability-tags-and-placards

"Disability parking placards, permits, or tags from DC or any state allow you to:

Park in any parking space designated for a disabled person

Park for double the posted time in any metered spaces (unless prohibited by DDOT's Red Top Meter Program)"

12 hours ago, BisonMan said:

I don't know that it is "intuitive", which was my point. The AG has to prove that was the case otherwise Snyder and the NFL will not be liable. 

Fraud can certainly be committed by people who have poor reputations (a.k.a. Snyder) on their customer base. The public was aware of the investigation. The secrecy that the team and the NFL engaged in to keep any investigation results from being made public points to the fact that at least the team and league felt public disclosure would have deleterious affects on revenue. I agree it is difficult to prove that type of case against any company.  Had the NFL and the team publicly disclosed the results of the investigation (while keeping the names of the victims secret), there would be no case. Fraud requires that the perpetrator misrepresent or hide information from its victims (i.e. the paying fanbase) in order to get their money. 

Again, I think this case may be hard to prove but I have no way of knowing what information/testimony the AG already has in his pocket. Does he have members of team management on record telling him that the team and the NFL colluded to keep information from the public to protect team/league revenue? Does he have information that the NFL lied when they claimed that they wouldn't release the findings of the investigation to "protect the victims"? 

It will certainly be interesting to see what comes out publicly from the trial. 

I agree a case would be obvious if this was a publicly traded company where withholding this info could prevent an investor from dumping his/her stock if he/she felt it would tank the value of their investment.  But there is no investor to protect here.  There a re ticket buyers---all of whom already have accepted Snyder as he is (and has been well documented for them for years--he's the most despised owner in sports)----and still bought the tickets to watch their team. 

Maybe if a group of season ticket holders brought a class action suit, they could claim some harm re: the value of their investment in seasons or something.  But there is no injured party identified other than "the people of Washington DC."  Plus he's not even seeking specific damages--he's suing under a civil law that provides only for fines (that won't go to ticketholders).

Given the fact that the damages provided for this law he is suing under ("up to $5000 for any material misstatement that a merchant or business makes") are meaningless, then what is his point in bringing this suit on a company that is located and operates outside of his jurisdiction? He says it's about "accountability", yet Congress is already embarked on the same exact course and has deposed Goodell and Snyder in their investigation.  H won't find anything new here for "the people of Washington DC".

It's bizarre grandstanding by a guy who won't be AG by January against a team that soon won't have Snyder as an owner.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2022 at 3:54 PM, boyst said:

Ralph was letting the cheerleaders be pimped out...

I think you should choose your words more wisely. This is a disgusting comment to make about a man who bought the NFL to Western NY. A man who believed in the people of this area. Was RW perfect? no... but this statement... come on man. your better than this.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Personally I wish Snyder would have ratted out the other owners as he alluded to, that would have been great entertainment.

Maybe he will. A cornered rat fights aggressively.  Otherwise, just more garbage for ESPN to cover. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think you should choose your words more wisely. This is a disgusting comment to make about a man who bought the NFL to Western NY. A man who believed in the people of this area. Was RW perfect? no... but this statement... come on man. your better than this.

Amen brother!

A man who brings the NFL to Western NY should be able to do whatever he wants with his cheerleaders--you got that right

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

First, it's you're not your. 2nd. I don't think you know the lowness I can stoop to. 😂

Regardless, that statement was about viewpoints and accuracy. If Snyder is to get the blame for all things evil and bad in that organization then Ralph must, too.

I don't believe the statement to be fair but it is true even if harshly worded. The same way I don't have a problem with Snyder. Private businesses can do whatever they want. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

what was your point? That the other poster made something up?

I didn't make it up is the problem. The Bills weren't that closely affiliated with the Jill's as they were contract employees. Regardless, for a few bucks they'd come be your personal golf caddy and sit on your lap for a chairty round of golf, or come sponsor something at your business with private photos and all the alcohol you can provide. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

First, it's you're not your. 2nd. I don't think you know the lowness I can stoop to. 😂

Regardless, that statement was about viewpoints and accuracy. If Snyder is to get the blame for all things evil and bad in that organization then Ralph must, too.

I don't believe the statement to be fair but it is true even if harshly worded. The same way I don't have a problem with Snyder. Private businesses can do whatever they want. 

I didn't make it up is the problem. The Bills weren't that closely affiliated with the Jill's as they were contract employees. Regardless, for a few bucks they'd come be your personal golf caddy and sit on your lap for a chairty round of golf, or come sponsor something at your business with private photos and all the alcohol you can provide. 

thanks for the clarification. as far as your, You're? welcome to the internet man. Not many really care about perfect English as long as the message is clear... and it was :D 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

thanks for the clarification. as far as your, You're? welcome to the internet man. Not many really care about perfect English as long as the message is clear... and it was :D 

Acrually...It took me 3 hours to understand the you're your. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.