DC Attorney General is filing civil lawsuit for collusion against Snyder, Commanders, Goodell, & NFL

chongli

49 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Incredible waste of time and money and we all get to  pay for it in taxes.

Another ***** politician trying to get his name recognition.

Aside from federal grants which go to all 50 states as well, no federal tax dollars fund the local DC government budget, including the DC district attorney who is elected to office by the citizens of Washington, DC. Our tax dollars have nothing to do with his office.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Every owners actions impact the many of the  people in that area, so what.  If Snyder broke that law and they can prove it, arrest and him and charge him.    Just being a "dick"  or a terrible owner is not against the law.

I never said it was. The AG is bringing their suit based on their consumer protection laws, which they claim were violated. That is definitely right in line with an AG’s job. 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Every owners actions impact the many of the  people in that area, so what.  If Snyder broke that law and they can prove it, arrest and him and charge him.    Just being a "dick"  or a terrible owner is not against the law.

I don't think the charging documents mention Snyder being "a dick" but I'll check. 🙄

Full disclosure, I live in the DC Metro area in Northern Virginia but work in D.C. The team’s facilities are a football throw from my house….if I were Josh Allen. Lastly, my neighbor’s daughter interned with the team and did not have nice words about her experience. 

Two things can be true:

1. The Washington Red…grrr…Commanders defrauded the citizens of D.C. who paid for tickets when they might not otherwise had known the full scope of team management, the NFL, et al. hiding information regarding misconduct by the team that included potentially criminal behavior (most of which took place at the team’s facility in Ashburn, VA.). 
  2. The retiring AG of D.C. is looking to score political points knowing the team’s management is wildly unpopular in the region.

To what end a retiring AG needs political points is yet to be determined. Perhaps he plans to run for higher office in the region at some point. Nonetheless, he probably put a lot of hours into this investigation and wants that work to come to fruition before he leaves office. None of that matters in this case if the team has done what the AG is charging them with. BTW, every AG in every jurisdiction has political instincts that drive their behaviors at times. They are elected, not appointed...and I'm shocked...shocked that there is gambling going on here!!!

Did the team mislead the public about the activities that their management engaged in during the last several years? Did the NFL work to keep any investigation from seeing the light of day in order to “protect the shield”. Absolutely, IMO. Why hide the results of an investigation unless it had financial implications for the team and the league? It’s all about the Benjamins.  

Did that effectively “defraud” the public? That’s the only real question that matters here. If the AG can prove that hiding the facts in this case had the effect of increasing ticket sales (or in this case keep sales from falling faster), maintaining merchandise revenue or benefiting the team and the NFL in other financial ways – they are likely to be found guilty. This is a civil case so Daniel won't be spending and time on his knees in the DC Central Detention Facility…as ironically fitting as that might be.

Not knowing all of the evidence the AG has in this case, it’s really hard for me to claim that the AG is acting inappropriately and that the team is unfairly being persecuted. Based on everything I’ve seen on this…which living here means “a lot”...the AG probably has a pretty good case. 

Let go of the dove, Roy… 🙂

Edited by BisonMan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

How exactly does this affect the residents of DC unless they worked for the team?  The team plays in Maryland.  

Yeah. They play in MD, and practice in VA, IIRC.

What is the DC nexus the DC Atty General claims?

By similar logic, what prevents a Wyoming (many JA17 fans) citizen from suing the Bills.

34 minutes ago, boater said:

By similar logic, what prevents a Wyoming (many JA17 fans) citizen from suing the Bills.

Speaking of that, I wish the NFL would make the Jets and Giants change their names to "New Jersey". Buffalo needs to get recognition as New York's only NFL team. But I digress... 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Aside from federal grants which go to all 50 states as well, no federal tax dollars fund the local DC government budget, including the DC district attorney who is elected to office by the citizens of Washington, DC. Our tax dollars have nothing to do with his office.

We all pay for it one way or another. 

This is one of 10s of thousands of ways we waste money on s*** that does not matter. It's money that could be spent on productive parts of society, instead it goes to a d measuring contest that has next to 0 effect on the general public

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

We all pay for it one way or another. 

This is one of 10s of thousands of ways we waste money on s*** that does not matter. It's money that could be spent on productive parts of society, instead it goes to a d measuring contest that has next to 0 effect on the general public

I have no interest in debating the merits of the case. I merely wanted to correct the record by saying that unless you are a DC citizen, none of your tax dollars go into funding the DC AG or any part of the local DC government as was suggested in the post I responded to. 

Edited by K-9

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

unless you are a DC citizen, none of your tax dollars go into funding the DC AG or any part of the local DC government as was suggested in the post I responded to. 

Plus maybe residents from outside the District who pay DC sales or income tax?

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, chongli said:

Plus maybe residents from outside the District who pay DC sales or income tax?

You have to reside for 180 days in the District of Columbia to be subject to DC income taxes. And of course local sales taxes contribute to local tax revenues, like every place else in the country. But yeah, if one is so outraged at the lawsuit, then they should refrain from buying any goods or services in DC to be sure they aren’t contributing. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

There was an investigation into a problematic workplace environment. This particular lawsuit is claiming that there was an organized effort between the commissioner of the NFL and the owner of the commanders to mislead those investigators during their investigation. Should we be ok with our government investigating on behalf of citizens who report a workplace for putting employees in harmful situations? Of course we should. If, during the investigation, the investigating body finds evidence of the workplace purposely sabotaging the investigation should we be ok with our government suing the workplace over it? Of course we should. This is the purpose of government, to protect it's citizens. I think you lost focus of the situation here.

Read the AGs statement, that is not what this lawsuit is about at all. He is not representing the workers, he is representing consumers.  He claims the team and league makes investigators to protect their brand and profits and that consumers has they known would not have purchased their product.  

It has absolutely nothing to do the workers or workplace, it is about fans that bought tickets as consumers. 

Selective prosecution. It's a joke. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

You have to reside for 180 days in the District of Columbia to be subject to DC income taxes. 

Ok good to know. My grandfather lived in NY but worked in PA, and he had to pay both states' income taxes, IIRC.

Edited by chongli

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

How exactly does this affect the residents of DC unless they worked for the team?  The team plays in Maryland.  

they practice in VA all week fro decades...they play in Maryland 8-9 games a year since 1997...seems they are called "Washington" Commanders everyday no ?...its a consumer protection lawsuit most on this site dont know or care about other than try to dismiss based on their political bias

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I recall when RW died, Snyder have very nice things to say about Ralph.  He seemed to have spoken more than many other owners did at the time.

I found Snyder's remarks on Wilson - may not be everything he said, but this was captured ...

“We are deeply saddened by the passing of the great Ralph Wilson. All of us have lost a NFL legend whose passion for his team was inspiring. We will always be thankful for Ralph’s contributions to the development of the AFL and NFL.”

Daniel Snyder, Redskins owner

This and more reactions to Wilson's passing here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/league-reacts-to-the-passing-of-ralph-wilson/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.