Allen Injury a Good Thing?

Irv

18 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

We can say everything about the effort all the team will have regard JA absence, everyone accountable etc etc… but fact is that Case, even if in the League long time, is not a top QB. 

He isn't a top QB, but he is good enough to help the Bills win this weekend. If Allen isn't out there it will hurt but the Bills still have a good chance to win the game. 

6 minutes ago, Believer said:

Common sense and McD-speak says Allen sits… and Keenum starts…

Big test for Dorsey… Case brings his own strengths and weaknesses… Up to Dorsey to adapt his play-calling to his player

This would be a good time for Singletary to get around 25 carries and over 100 yards with a TD or two.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Maybe there is a bright side to JA17 getting injured. Never want anyone to get injured, but maybe this will force others, particularly the coaching staff, OL, and RB's to get the running game going for once.  The whole offence has totally relied on Josh for everything.  Now it's their turn tom step up and hopefully translate to a more balanced offense down the stretch.   

Get well soon JA.   

It's not a good thing at all.   If Josh is out Sunday, we're going to see what we have with the rest of the team.  I'm not all that confident in the Bills minus Josh are anything better than 7-9 or 8-8 type team.  Can't run or stop the run.  No weapons on O outside of Diggs.  Coaching that seems to be fighting the last war every week.  Incredibly inconsistent and weak play out of the DL excepting Von Miller

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Case has been in the league a long time. He is capable of helping the Bills get a win this weekend vs Minnesota. The rest of the team will have to pick it up if Allen can't go. If Allen can go the rest of the team should still pick it up. Allen shouldn't have to be a one-man gang out there.

totally agree.  You don't have a SB caliber winning team if you rely solely on your QB.  Do you need an elite QB, yes.  But you need more, and if your eliter QB is out, you should be able to win games.  Even Dallas won its games with Dak out (not comparing Dak and JA, but if Bean has done a good job at roster construction around JA, and our coaches are competent, we should be able to win).  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

totally agree.  You don't have a SB caliber winning team if you rely solely on your QB.  Do you need an elite QB, yes.  But you need more, and if your eliter QB is out, you should be able to win games.  Even Dallas won its games with Dak out (not comparing Dak and JA, but if Bean has done a good job at roster construction around JA, and our coaches are competent, we should be able to win).  

Agree. They aren't winning a Super Bowl without Josh, but they can definitely win a regular season game at home without him. The Vikings are good but so are the Bills. This is also a second straight road game for Minnesota. It's never easy to win on the road and to go on the road in B2B weeks is tough.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

So Irv you’re taking a beating here but I do get the gist of what you were trying to say

It is never good that your $256 million QB Is injured

The coaching staff is going to have to definitely do their job this weekend because case is not going to be able to put the game on his shoulders by himself and win

I truly believe Josh will be standing on the sidelines with an earbud on Sunday.  The Bills won't risk anything worse happening to the elbow.  They have higher aspirations than beating the Vikings in a regular season game.  If sitting out for a game or two or three heals him, then do it.

Dorsey will have to adapt on first and second down in particular.  The goal will be not to get in too many third and longs because you won't have Josh's legs and arm to get you out of the jam.  We have a "stable of backs" who are multiple (pass and run).  Keenum is smart and can get the ball out quickly and accurately.  Gives me confidence the Bills can win with him.  Just keep matriculating the ball down the field particularly the two quarters when the Vikings have the wind at their back.  Take as much time on drives as possible those two quarters. 

The Vikes are full of weapons on Offense...the D needs to play with more discipline and urgency.   Bills have been losing gap control the last couple of weeks and not tackling well.  Need to clean that up or James Cook's big brother will have 200 yards.   Make no mistake, the Vike's are a really talent laden team but playing in a moderate to strong wind outdoors will challenge them.

That’s one of the silver linings. The other silver lining, as said before, could be Josh gets to shake his head and work through the funk he’s in by watching the game. I’m not much less confident in winning on Sunday with Keenum than I was with Josh, considering his plays over the past five quarters.

• Eyeroll 1

I understand what the OP is trying to say. 

I would rethink it this way.

Regardless of JA injury, the offense would be better and more sustainable if Dorsey found a way to get a complimentary rushing attack and involve Knox and the other receivers not named Diggs more.

That can and should happen regardless if Josh can play or not. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

He isn't a top QB, but he is good enough to help the Bills win this weekend. If Allen isn't out there it will hurt but the Bills still have a good chance to win the game. 

Hope you right fella

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Common sense and McD-speak says Allen sits… and Keenum starts…

Big test for Dorsey… Case brings his own strengths and weaknesses… Up to Dorsey to adapt his play-calling to his player

Instead i see Allen as a go. 

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Maybe there is a bright side to JA17 getting injured. Never want anyone to get injured, but maybe this will force others, particularly the coaching staff, OL, and RB's to get the running game going for once.  The whole offence has totally relied on Josh for everything.  Now it's their turn tom step up and hopefully translate to a more balanced offense down the stretch.   

Get well soon JA.   

I think you’re on to something. Reliance on this freak athlete to avoid killer lineman and lbs rushing against pedestrian pass protectors in predictable passing play calling,is not sustainable and will get Josh seriously injured. o-line coach, Dorsey and RBs have to be better and share more of the responsibilities.

6 hours ago, Irv said:

Get well soon JA.   

I was thinking about this too.  A player like Josh Allen hides flaws in an Offensive system, because he uses his athleticism and freakishly strong arm, to make plays that otherwise wouldn't be there.  If nothing else, Keenum running this system, even if it is only in practice,  may help the coaches see flaws that were not noticeable before. If that is the case, and I honestly don't know if it is or not, they would have to start scheming guys open, instead of relying on Allen to make something happen. Although obviously not ideal, I believe there could be some good that comes out of this.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Is this like when a guy goes on a drunken rampage and in the humiliating fallout he loses his job, his marriage, his reputation, and any hope for a happy future but its the "best thing that ever happened to me" because he discovered his passion for oil painting?

Edited by Jauronimo

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was thinking about this too.  A player like Josh Allen hides flaws in an Offensive system, because he uses him athleticism and freakishly strong arm, to make plays that otherwise wouldn't be there.  If nothing else, Keenum running this system, even if it is only in practice,  may help the coaches see flaws that were not noticeable before. If that is the case, and I honestly don't know if it is or not, they would have to start scheming guys open, instead of relying on Allen to make something happen. Although obviously not ideal, I believe there could be some good that comes out of this.  

100% agreed, I'm interested to see how Case runs the offense vs. Josh. If Case succeeds, maybe it'll help Josh with his decision making and reads so that he isn't relying on Diggs to catch everything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.