GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m actually in favor of a National Voting Day. Get rid of one of the outdated holidays where people use it to go shopping and replace it with this more important civic duty. 

There’s nothing wrong with voting in advance. The problem, as Goose well described, is that it takes days to count them all afterwards. 

A much better solution would be to keep early voting and just allow canvassing and processing before Election Day. Then the ballots will be ready to count with the Election Day ballots and it can be done quickly. 

Remember how bad Florida was in 2000? Since then, they’ve worked on their process and now will be one of the quickest to finish counting today. 

You can have early voting and count by the end of Election day

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

A much better solution would be to keep early voting and just allow canvassing and processing before Election Day. Then the ballots will be ready to count with the Election Day ballots and it can be done quickly. 

Remember how bad Florida was in 2000? Since then, they’ve worked on their process and now will be one of the quickest to finish counting today. 

You can have early voting and count by the end of Election day

I respectfully disagree. Once again the problem is NOT a technical one. It’s one of perception. We just had a Supreme Court ruling leaked ahead of the opinion, with a tiny number of clerks having had access to it. …and you think thousands of partisan poll volunteers are going to be able to keep vote tallies under lock and key? Not possible. 

30 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

If they rigged it, they SUCKED at it. Who rigs an election to LOSE seats in the House and barely hold the Senate, preventing any big legislation?

When they counted all those early or mailed in ballots a ton of them only had a vote for the Presidency and left the other options blank. Nothing fishy about that.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I respectfully disagree. Once again the problem is NOT a technical one. It’s one of perception. We just had a Supreme Court ruling leaked ahead of the opinion, with a tiny number of clerks having had access to it. …and you think thousands of partisan poll volunteers are going to be able to keep vote tallies under lock and key? Not possible. 

I personally just don't believe that the government should bend over and impede the exercise of the franchise because of bad faith actors and poor journalism. 

I also reject the notion that poll volunteers are partisan. There are strict rules governing what can be done and said in a polling location and there is oversight and checks on the process. These are good people volunteering as part of their civic duty and should be applauded, not demeaned.

Frankly, many states have no problems with pre-canvassing mail-in ballots before election day and then getting all of the ballots counted on election day. Those states should be the ones we emulate. Going back to everybody just voting on one day because we are worried that gullible people will believe falsehoods about the election is cowardly and impedes the ability of people to vote.

48 minutes ago, BillStime said:

What's wrong with voting weeks in advance?

well, for one you get situations like in Pennsylvania with the stroke victim who clearly needs to be at home resting and recovering vs. serving as a US Senator.  A lot of votes were already cast before the one and only debate between him and Oz.

For overseas military members - sure.  For everyone else… nah.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To my fellow conservatives / Republicans I simply say this:

Do not assume that this is a done deal - so get off your arses, go to your nearest polling booth and vote!  Voting discipline is essential, which means that every vote counts. It's time to put this sick democrat dog to sleep.

God bless the great US of A!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

I personally just don't believe that the government should bend over and impede the exercise of the franchise because of bad faith actors and poor journalism. 

I also reject the notion that poll volunteers are partisan. There are strict rules governing what can be done and said in a polling location and there is oversight and checks on the process. These are good people volunteering as part of their civic duty and should be applauded, not demeaned.

Frankly, many states have no problems with pre-canvassing mail-in ballots before election day and then getting all of the ballots counted on election day. Those states should be the ones we emulate. Going back to everybody just voting on one day because we are worried that gullible people will believe falsehoods about the election is cowardly and impedes the ability of people to vote.

We’re having trouble communicating here this morning. (It’s an internet thing.) The problem isn’t technical. It’s perception! But I do want to push back on your polling worker comment. From your other posts I perceive that you’re in the legal profession. Do you also hold that Supreme Court clerks are supposed to be non-partisan? I sure hope so!