GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

49-49 with Cortez-Masto a slight favorite in NV.

This has been an absolute embarrassment for the GOP  

Eh - 538 gave Republicans a 55% chance of taking the Senate based on their model before the midterms.  They still could win it.

The perception before the midterms that it would be a red tsunami never matched the polls.  Republicans were spiking the football while Democrats were all doom and gloom just assuming that Republicans would vastly outperform the polls.  They didn't.  

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Eh - 538 gave Republicans a 55% chance of taking the Senate based on their model before the midterms.  They still could win it.

The perception before the midterms that it would be a red tsunami never matched the polls.  Republicans were spiking the football while Democrats were all doom and gloom just assuming that Republicans would vastly outperform the polls.  They didn't.  

I think the best bet is to wait. But nobody is better at understanding NV than Jon Ralston and he seems to believe that Cortez-Masto is a slight favorite. 

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

yeah but the metrics. economy. crime. gas. these arent little things. they effect everyone everyday. regardless of who was running against them or why you would think it would be enough to have people want a drastic change no matter what it is. i think abortion got women out and i dont think enough credit was given to student loan forgiveness which got the young people out when they typically wouldnt. even if it doesnt effect them it prob does to someone they know or are hoping for more when they grad.

6 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

yeah but the metrics. economy. crime. gas. these arent little things. they effect everyone everyday. regardless of who was running against them or why you would think it would be enough to have people want a drastic change no matter what it is. i think abortion got women out and i dont think enough credit was given to student loan forgiveness which got the young people out when they typically wouldnt. even if it doesnt effect them it prob does to someone they know or are hoping for more when they grad.

Don’t forget that the GOP generally ran terrible candidates because they still bend the knee to their orange Godking and their policies are wildly unpopular with most Americans.

This election should have been in the bag for the GOP but they ended up shooting themselves in the dick with an unregulated firearm. 

Edited by ChiGoose

Greg Gutfeld:

"Ron DeSantis crushed Charlie Crist like he was Stacey Abrams' futon"

"Crist has now failed as a Republican, Independent & Democrat - the only thing left for him now is to fail as a woman"

"Everyone says Biden should now head for the presidential exit - which is ironic as he has trouble finding an exit"

"AOC says crime is actually down in NYC - yeah....and The View's audience can read and write"

58 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Don’t forget that the GOP generally ran terrible candidates because they still bend the knee to their orange Godking and their policies are wildly unpopular with most Americans.

i agree. i think trump as a fixture is no where close to being a effective means. i pray for this country trump gives it up already. the dems funded those canidates and it worked out. at the same time the dems litterally lied about EVERYTHING about covid. im am shocked that people did not see that as a leadership flaw. i have no choice but to think alot of them were on board and dont really want answers to alot of questions on how much was a lie..because it would also expose themselves for rolling with it. not easy to digest the fact you stunted your kids learning or participated in a drive by funeral ect ect and put up no resistance when you could have while demonizing those who did. wrong side of history but history is written by the victors.

the only major effect it had in this election were freedom states swung big red. no more swinging florida. people appreciate just how close they came from living in fear and losing basic things like the rest of the country. who seems to have stock home syndrome. 

Edited by Buffarukus

1 hour ago, Buffarukus said:

Oh I know.  That's why I'm shocked it wasn't a bloodbath for Democrats.  Inflation and abortion were the top two issues on the minds of voters according to every exit poll I've seen.  The Supreme Court did Democrats a huge favor.  Even anecdotally, women I know that usually don't vote showed up because they were afraid of Roe v. Wade overturning.  You threaten to take someone's rights they always take for granted away and it gets their attention.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Oh I know.  That's why I'm shocked it wasn't a bloodbath for Democrats.  Inflation and abortion were the top two issues on the minds of voters according to every exit poll I've seen.  The Supreme Court did Democrats a huge favor.  Even anecdotally, women I know that usually don't vote showed up because they were afraid of Roe v. Wade overturning.  You threaten to take someone's rights they always take for granted away and it gets their attention.

And young people have been showing up in historic numbers. Social media sucks for a lot of reasons but young voter turnout is up huge in the last few years. That’s amazing:

“What about young adults? In 2018 turnout among 18- to 29-year-old voters rose to 36% from only 20% in 2014. In 2020 this turnout reached 50%, up from 39% in 2016. “

6 hours ago, Commsvet11 said:

There has to be some type of morality in a society that is maintained by laws.

We can base some laws we have to the Ten Commandments such as its wrong to steal and its wrong to murder, we have laws that say it’s against the law to steal and murder.

You have ignored my points where I have the opinion that abortion is as civilized as owning slaves the only difference is unborn infants instead of POC being considered less than human and needing advocated by a groups with a moral standard 

ok, forcing a mother to bear a child she doesn’t want is directly slavery and adds a mortality risk, are you sure this argument is a good path? 

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Republican primary voters did the favor. The Dems ran a turnip in PA and the turnip won the Senate seat. A radish would have won the PA gov seat vs that R wacko Mastriano. Boebert will seemingly win but barely vs a nobody. MAGA is dead to the majority of Americans but not the base of Rs. It’s a problem, solvable by a shift to angry Ron, but only if he can defeat Daddy.  

6 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

Agreed.  It’s not that long ago the ugly rich folk class started at $250k annual income.  That’s been reset to $400k.  

The Dems have been quite successful reimagining exactly where folks qualify for victim status. The student loan forgiveness program likely paid huge dividends by positioning a couple making up to a quarter-million per year as needy and set-upon, and that’s really just getting started.   There are people looking at a $20k windfall, and perhaps a similar windfall for their educated children, it’s understandable people would not want to walk away from that.   

The signs are there already pointing to “…it doesn’t go far enough” which sets the stage nicely for the next buy down.  If you’re an individual making $60k as a _________ with $110k in student loan debt, that carrot of $50k+ floated by prominent Dems is would likely be pretty enticing. 

Add in the abortion issue and its appeal to a large portion of women, and a general sense that the American political system is pretty f’d up to begin with, people voted in their best interest. 

Same as it ever was. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

On 11/9/2022 at 10:37 AM, muppy said:

peeking back into this thread this morning. I saw this tweet on my feed. Wow. It's a great line. What I think in my heart of hearts is that people are voting on litmus test issues like abortion vs the Red/Trump endorsed candidates. the donald still has his proponents of course.  But from what Im reading yesterdays election was a surprise to Republican pundits  overall. The youth vote keeping democrats afloat?

carry on everyone. Peace Out. muppy

MUPPY!!! So good to see you in the politics subforum! How are you and yours?? My thoughts regarding the bolded:

Yeah, I believe your assessment of Election Day is accurate. We probably have enough election results data and polling data by now to surmise that unmarried Gen Z/Millenial women are the singular demographic that limited the GOP, curbing that party’s success due to what I call their “constellation of creepiness:” extreme pro-life stances on abortion, MAGA election denialism, and general LGBTQ bigotry. As it turns out, there was indeed a red wave on Tuesday…a particular wave that only the world’s largest Playtex tampon could have halted. Yes, that was a gross metaphor. But I’m going to leave it here because, as you know, this is how Commie Kay rolls at Two Bills Drive : )

Speaking of curious metaphor choices…I am reminded of a quote from the great early 21st century philosopher and single ladies’ advocate, Beyonce, which I am paraphrasing in the future tense: “if you like it, then you should put a ring on it.” The “it” in this chosen context means the electoral votes of young single adult females, and “putting a ring on it” signifies the federal codification of Roe v. Wade (i.e. legal abortions up to the point of fetal viability). In other words, this week’s very modest electoral victories are also potentially very ephemeral. The Democratic Party has been using the abortion issue as a political football for far too long, taking advantage of our electoral power since the 1970’s. If Democrats want my increasingly intransigent voting bloc to continue coming out to vote for them in 2024 and beyond, then they need to be making earnest efforts to codify certain reproductive freedoms ASAP that really shouldn’t have ever been up for debate in the first place (a constitutional digression I won’t get into here…).

And the same goes for all the other rights to privacy, under the Due Process Clause, that are in danger from our far-right Supreme Court and that desperately need federal codification: contraception, gay marriage, interracial marriage, etc… Court packing should remain on the table as a potent negotiating tool, too.

Furthermore, young unmarried women tend to be among the most progressive voting demographics that you can possibly delineate. So moving forward, Democrats would be wise to steer their policy agenda leftward on big-ticket issues like social democratic economic populism, aggressive climate change remediation, non-imperialistic foreign policies, etc…ya know…the kinda things that excite the Commie Kays out there : ) …preferably using some currently unidentified American version of Brazil’s Lula as a political conduit…and in perhaps a physical form a la Joaquin Phoenix or Milo Ventimiglia…

P.S. I love both your avatar and wallpaper selection! Very expressive and colorful. Quintessential MUPPINESS. There’s nothing worse in this topsy-turvy world of ours than Bills message board users without either, no? Without these, we’re all just a bunch of faceless posting zombies, utterly devoid of character. Electronic flotsam, if you will, floating amidst an endless sea of inane and excessively morose Buffalo Bills football discussion. Now I don’t like publicly calling out individuals here, so let’s just say that there’s a certain stubborn individual whom we both know (hint: his user name rhymes with Reh-nerd Rin-erd) who absolutely REFUSES to select any avatar or wallpaper whatsoever that might exhibit his wonderfully unique personality. Why? I think it’s just because he also happens to enjoy being a giant D!CK. That’s why. But I guess that’s Reh-nerd Rin-erd for ya. Not much to else to say on this matter, really. Ugh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Agreed.  It’s not that long ago the ugly rich folk class started at $250k annual income.  That’s been reset to $400k.  

The Dems have been quite successful reimagining exactly where folks qualify for victim status. The student loan forgiveness program likely paid huge dividends by positioning a couple making up to a quarter-million per year as needy and set-upon, and that’s really just getting started.   There are people looking at a $20k windfall, and perhaps a similar windfall for their educated children, it’s understandable people would not want to walk away from that.   

The signs are there already pointing to “…it doesn’t go far enough” which sets the stage nicely for the next buy down.  If you’re an individual making $60k as a _________ with $110k in student loan debt, that carrot of $50k+ floated by prominent Dems is would likely be pretty enticing. 

Add in the abortion issue and its appeal to a large portion of women, and a general sense that the American political system is pretty f’d up to begin with, people voted in their best interest. 

Same as it ever was. 

How about 

43 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Same as it ever was. 

This would be a nice avatar 

image.jpeg.09156d948745f54a93e0db238781dcc4.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BillStime said:

I agree with you. It is pathetic that each state has different rules, regulations and tools to do the same job.

Its a colossal waste of time and money.

Standardize the F out of this and make all states follow the same procedures. 

Dam BT your scaring me we actually agree on something ... 😆 

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How about 

This would be a nice avatar 

image.jpeg.09156d948745f54a93e0db238781dcc4.jpeg

GREAT ALBUM !!!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, T master said:

Dam BT your scaring me we actually agree on something ... 😆 

GREAT ALBUM !!!!! 

OMG !! BT & I agree on something & Tibs too both in one day hell must be freezing over 😂 who says miracles can't happen 🙌 

It's always good to find some common ground we need to do this type of thing much more often & we would all be better for it hope you both have a blessed day !! 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

49-49 with Cortez-Masto a slight favorite in NV.

This has been an absolute embarrassment for the country.

FIFY

Just now, T master said:

OMG !! BT & I agree on something & Tibs too both in one day hell must be freezing over 😂 who says miracles can't happen 🙌 

It's always good to find some common ground we need to do this type of thing much more often & we would all be better for it hope you both have a blessed day !! 

They’re always willing to find common ground as long as they get there way. If you should have differing political views be ready to be called a racist, nazi and a cult member. 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Same as it ever was. 

A potential $40k windfall.  $20k each. 😏