GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Democrats ensuring that they get ballots mailed in by people who otherwise would not vote on Election Day

The horror! People who might not otherwise vote - or be able to vote in person - actually ... VOTING! Because you eliminated the inconvenience of waiting in a line. Anything worth doing is worth waiting in a long line for, right? If I am walking around town and I see a line, I assume there's something good going on at the end of it and I instinctively stand in it. And if I'm in Anthem, AZ retirement community, I get to combine that line-standing with the culture of complaining. Nothing more American than that.

This non-line standing thing? It's downright undemocratic.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You were saved by abortion in wake of the recent Roe decision

What a strange argument. Opposition to Roe has been a litmus test for Republican candidates for at least 30 years. (There were some pro-choice Republicans on the national stage before that, including Bush 41, but he changed too to get the nomination.) The Republican Party has shifted back and forth on almost every other major issue: fiscal austerity was in until Trump, now it's out. Promotion of democracy/human rights in the world was a core principle from Reagan to Romney; now it's out in favor of America First. Free trade was a core Reagan belief that carried on through Romney, but no more post-Trump.

But there's been one guiding light for all nominal Republicans: we are against abortion rights, and it all begins with overturning Roe v. Wade.

So you won! Congratulations!! And guess what? Now that you can ban abortion in a non-purely symbolic way, it turns out people really don't like that policy at all. Not even in Kansas. 

To suggest that it's some kind of weird quirk is itself weird. It is a core principle of the Republican Party, ending abortion. Actually THE core principle. The people hate it. That's kind of a problem, no?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What a strange argument. Opposition to Roe has been a litmus test for Republican candidates for at least 30 years. (There were some pro-choice Republicans on the national stage before that, including Bush 41, but he changed too to get the nomination.) The Republican Party has shifted back and forth on almost every other major issue: fiscal austerity was in until Trump, now it's out. Promotion of democracy/human rights in the world was a core principle from Reagan to Romney; now it's out in favor of America First. Free trade was a core Reagan belief that carried on through Romney, but no more post-Trump.

But there's been one guiding light for all nominal Republicans: we are against abortion rights, and it all begins with overturning Roe v. Wade.

So you won! Congratulations!! And guess what? Now that you can ban abortion in a non-purely symbolic way, it turns out people really don't like that policy at all. Not even in Kansas. 

To suggest that it's some kind of weird quirk is itself weird. It is a core principle of the Republican Party, ending abortion. Actually THE core principle. The people hate it. That's kind of a problem, no?

No, you just don’t understand. The real problem is people voting! When the *wrong* people vote, it’s a problem! 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

Wild…

Fat / ugly women who are either lezzos or dont 'get any' are profoundly miserable humans, are always the loudest and rudest people going around.

Its no wonder they vote democrat.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

You have a lot to say for someone simping for a party that lost seats in NY, lost the VA Gov last election, will lose the House, potentially the Senate (if not now, definitely in ‘24) and has a President that is wildly unpopular.

You were saved by abortion in wake of the recent Roe decision and the fact R’s haven’t understood how to run campaigns in the post-covid era.   Neither of those issues have heavy staying power.  

Rs lost on abortion but also because MAGA is a failed message to the extent it’s a message at all. Independents rejected terrible candidates. My R friends pulled blank levers in state races here. Trumpism is a failure, but MAGA still rules the party. Rs need to clean their house of it. When they do, I agree they will roll. But if they don’t, they will continue to lose.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Rs lost on abortion but also because MAGA is a failed message to the extent it’s a message at all. Independents rejected terrible candidates. My R friends pulled blank levers in state races here. Trumpism is a failure, but MAGA still rules the party. Rs need to clean their house of it. When they do, I agree they will roll. But if they don’t, they will continue to lose.

The GOP has to keep ignoring Ron DeSantis because he's a threat to Trump. If they embrace him, Trump will go nuclear on the GOP.

DeSantis' politics are the carefully polished, broadly palatable version of MAGA that the GOP needs to sweep national elections. But they don't dare use DeSantis because elevating him means DeSantis vs. Trump in a fight to the finish.

Fox News looks like they're jumping hard on the DeSantis train following last night. 

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Nobody is restricting access to non-homicidal birth control. 

Most allow you to murder a baby up to 15 weeks. 

Admittedly, R’s don’t have much to offer the youngest generation.  They’re never going to appeal to easily manipulated Tik Tok climate doomers or provide govt handouts.

They need to realize that once they get married, they’ll likely win them over and focus heavy on Hispanics (typically the social antithesis to young voters) to fill the gap. 

Bulllshit - your party is so far removed from reality and what really matters to Americans, especially younger people.

If Tuesday night wasn't a wakeup call to the party that likes to manufacture faux outrage - then your party is dead.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The GOP has to keep ignoring Ron DeSantis because he's a threat to Trump. If they embrace him, Trump will go nuclear on the GOP.

DeSantis' politics are the carefully polished, broadly palatable version of MAGA that the GOP needs to sweep national elections. But they don't dare use DeSantis because elevating him means DeSantis vs. Trump in a fight to the finish.

Fox News looks like they're jumping hard on the DeSantis train following last night. 

After the midterms it's pretty obvious that the Trump mystique is dead. Trump won't like it, but DeSantis is the face/leader of the Republican party and gives them their best shot at the Presidency in 2024. Look it, how he dominated in FLA this midterm. Unfortunately, you are correct in that Trump won't go away and accept this.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:07 AM, BillStime said:

Cult: Hey guys - why can’t some states count their votes quicker? I mean it’s not normal to take more than a day right?

GQP:

How can American Idol & the Voice count votes from a cell phone by the end of 1 show but all these delays & machine malfunctions happen on the most important voting day of the year & it seems to happen repeatedly have they learned nothing from past instances .

For god sake some body needs to get their S**T together ...

I stayed away from this site for a day or so. It’s a lot like the football side after a Bills loss….although I typically jump in over there.😉

So here’s what we learned on Tuesday: we still have a very divided, entrenched electorate that nudged (not shoved) against the President’s agenda.  

And when the dust settles, Nancy will no longer be the Speaker, and the margin won’t make a rats bit of difference, just like the last two years of a flat out tie haven’t stopped Chuck from acting like he’s in charge. 

One more thing…we also learned that a few of these States need some serious oversight into how long it takes them to process votes. Unacceptable.

Thanks

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

By that same token, I can say Dems position is just as unpopular.   Look at the polling, anytime elective abortion is wildly opposed. 

Let me ask you this.. How long do you believe you can ride the Roe wave?  Only so many ballot initiatives you can do, ie Michigan, to save Whitmer.  It’s not something you can put in the ballot every election.  Eventually states will begin to have settled laws on this.  

Once that occurs, we either largely move past this, or the conversation shifts from extreme GOP views of full bans to extreme Dem views (which is actually a pillar view) of anytime elective abortion.  A position the majority of women even oppose. 

So, again, it seems Roe saved some races for y’all.  Namely Michigan and PA, along with Trump pushing absurd candidates in Oz/Mastriano.  

I do agree, having R’s, even in ruby red states pushing for full bans, will continue to make abortion a liability for R’s, as that gives something for Dems in other states to point to as, see… they’ll bring that here. 

R’s would be wise to follow DeSantis/Youngkin … R’s who lean into the culture war on issues like schooling, trans in women sports, corporate DEI etc .. while signing mainstream abortion legislation that provides legal access up to a point with exceptions after.  

Notice Youngkin, DeSantis, even Kemp remain very popular while having abortion limitations … and in GA, strict limitations.  

May need to be a bit more lax in northern states, as Dems in PA, MI, WI are far more progressive than Southern Dems. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Yeah, their specialty is mainly easily manipulated boomers and Gen Xers by appealing to nostalgia and a fear of “the other”. 

nostalgia like… not having completely runaway inflation?  And the existence of a viable middle class?

44 minutes ago, T master said:

How can American Idol & the Voice count votes from a cell phone by the end of 1 show but all these delays & machine malfunctions happen on the most important voting day of the year & it seems to happen repeatedly have they learned nothing from past instances .

For god sake some body needs to get their S**T together ...

I agree with you. It is pathetic that each state has different rules, regulations and tools to do the same job.

Its a colossal waste of time and money.

Standardize the F out of this and make all states follow the same procedures. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I stayed away from this site for a day or so. It’s a lot like the football side after a Bills loss….although I typically jump in over there.😉

So here’s what we learned on Tuesday: we still have a very divided, entrenched electorate that nudged (not shoved) against the President’s agenda.  

And when the dust settles, Nancy will no longer be the Speaker, and the margin won’t make a rats bit of difference, just like the last two years of a flat out tie haven’t stopped Chuck from acting like he’s in charge. 

One more thing…we also learned that a few of these States need some serious oversight into how long it takes them to process votes. Unacceptable.

Thanks

I was waiting (for the House to flip, which now appears certain) to say it's more like the Bills board after a slim victory over a heavy underdog, but the result is the same.  The House will change hands and stop Joke's agenda.  They'll be able to investigate things.  They were never going to get a veto-overriding majority in the House much less in the Senate, so they weren't going to be able to pass whatever they want.  Now the question is whether they can flip the Senate.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

They'll be able to investigate things.

1) I love the sugarcoating and backtracking after the GOP thrashing in the mid terms

Doc confirms that the cult has not learned that their messaging, extremism, and hate was firmly rejected by America on Tuesday.

2) Please - take this approach - with Kevin McCarthy trying to hold down the circus with clowns like Marjorie Greene Taylor, Jim Jordan and Matt Gaetz leading the way all but confirms the Dems win the White House again in 2024. 

Edited by BillStime

32 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I agree with you. It is pathetic that each state has different rules, regulations and tools to do the same job.

Its a colossal waste of time and money.

Standardize the F out of this and make all states follow the same procedures. 

Any rules they try to pass will be "racist" or "voter suppression."

Imo, all voting needs to be in person and should include 2 forms of ID. It's not asking much. If you can't get out of bed or don't have an ID then you are not a contributing member of society and you don't get to vote. Simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Any rules they try to pass will be "racist" or "voter suppression."

Imo, all voting needs to be in person and should include 2 forms of ID. It's not asking much. If you can't get out of bed or don't have an ID then you are not a contributing member of society and you don't get to vote. Simple as that.

Well, alternatively, we know how to run safe and effective elections without restricting the franchise unnecessarily, so we could just go that and try to make sure the voice of the people is truly heard. 

That is, unless (as you seem to imply), the real goal is that only the right people should vote. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The standard you propose here is quite literally unconstitutional. 

How so? There was nothing in the original constitution about voting. 15th amendment says you can't deny based on race or skin color. 19th says you can't deny based on sex. Where is the part that says you have to allow mail in voting? Fyi I know multiple people who ballot harvest because they know their family members don't care to vote so they do it for them.