6-2 mid-season....not too shabby

Sweats

11 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I said this after the Miami loss and it applies again here.  Better to lose to a team that you face again, than to a AFC contender that you only play once.  The Bills can avenge these 2 losses later in the season when momentum is even more important.  Playing the Ravens, KC, and Tennessee only once, it was critical to win those games and retain the tie-breaker over those teams.  While the Bills currently don't have the tie-breaker against Miami and the Jests, they can negate the loss of tie-breaker by beating them in the 2nd matchup.

Let me be clear - it is never good to lose a game and losing certain games does not improve the team's playoff chances.  (I'm sure some will remember a post here a few years ago implying that a loss to a NFC team would help the Bills playoff chances....)  The point is that if you are going to lose 2 games, these are better ones to lose than some others.  And yes, I realize that division and conference records are important for playoff seeding, but I still stand by the premise that, based on this season, how the schedule pans out, etc., that these 2 games were "better" losses than Baltimore, KC, and Tennessee.  (Obviously, losses to NFC teams and non-division, non-contending AFC teams would be even better losses.)

I agree.  We are the current nunber one seed in the AFC.  And, we have the tiebreaker against the next top 3 teams by virtue of beating them.  The next top 2 after that are both teams in the AFCE who we play at home in the coming weeks.

We are still in the driver's seat for the top seed.  If we shake off the slight funk we are in, like we usually do, we'll stay that way to the end.  

49 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

1988 2020 Bills AFC Championship - got beat soundly in both games

1989 2021 Bills Divisional Round - lost a heartbreaker

1990-1994 SBs ..

So not seeing a difference so far.

This current Bills team has already lost 3 heartbreaker playoff games to Texans, Chiefs, and Chiefs - all on the road.   Blowing a 16-0 halftime lead in 
Houston only to lose in OT, blowing a 9-0 first quarter lead in KC (a lead that should have been much bigger), and then wilting in the 13 second debacle in KC last year.  

There is a major difference to the Kelly era teams that made it to the SB in their 3rd playoff season.  I would not rate this Bills team at the level of the Kelly era teams until to get to the SB.  To pass those teams they will have to win a SB.  

The biggest difference between the two teams is the Oline and Thurman.  The Kelly era had superior offensive lineman at every position, and they had a big time HoF player in Thurman Thomas.  If Kelly was off, or the weather was bad, we had Thurman/Davis/Garner/Mueller and an OL that you could ride.  

The current team is relying heavily on Allen/Diggs and a usually stingy defense.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

1988 2020 Bills AFC Championship - got beat soundly in both games

1989 2021 Bills Divisional Round - lost a heartbreaker

1990-1994 SBs ..

So not seeing a difference so far.

Four straight Super Bowl appearances isn't a difference maker? Really? 

18 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

yeah, what indicators have you seeing that

The schedule, the team's talent level, the nature of their 2 losses, the level of competitiveness in the league, how we've responded to adversity in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

The schedule, the team's talent level, the nature of their 2 losses, the level of competitiveness in the league, how we've responded to adversity in the past.

Does past performance guarantee current reuslts? Also, the schedule's not looking so hot these days. Tough one this week, and a LOT of winning teams on the backend

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Does past performance guarantee current reuslts

It doesn't - but it's a factor.  

Ultimately, it just comes down to how I feel about this team.  I think we're more the team from the TN blowout & the clutch KC win, than the team from the weird Phins loss and Sunday's loss to the Jets.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

It doesn't - but it's a factor.  

Ultimately, it just comes down to how I feel about this team.  I think we're more the team from the TN blowout & the clutch KC win, than the team from the weird Phins loss and Sunday's loss to the Jets.

Ok, so, in the end no more authoratative than feelings of dread then

I'm usually pretty optimistic, but not feeling it this week.

A huge part of the problem on here is people dissect every little thing that the Bills do wrong, but take the 10,000 ft view when looking at other teams.  KC struggled the entire game the other night but people will look at them and go "well they're 6-2, doesn't matter how they got there" and don't dissect their troubles.  Every team has weaknesses, but with this being a Bills discussion board we really only focus on what the Bills did bad/good

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

This current Bills team has already lost 3 heartbreaker playoff games to Texans, Chiefs, and Chiefs - all on the road.   Blowing a 16-0 halftime lead in 
Houston only to lose in OT, blowing a 9-0 first quarter lead in KC (a lead that should have been much bigger), and then wilting in the 13 second debacle in KC last year.  

There is a major difference to the Kelly era teams that made it to the SB in their 3rd playoff season.  I would not rate this Bills team at the level of the Kelly era teams until to get to the SB.  To pass those teams they will have to win a SB.  

The biggest difference between the two teams is the Oline and Thurman.  The Kelly era had superior offensive lineman at every position, and they had a big time HoF player in Thurman Thomas.  If Kelly was off, or the weather was bad, we had Thurman/Davis/Garner/Mueller and an OL that you could ride.  

The current team is relying heavily on Allen/Diggs and a usually stingy defense.  

I love this thread.  Because I love going back to a golden era of Bills football.  You are spot on Bob.  The O line and RB situation on the Bills' teams of 30 years ago were much better then today.  We have noone close to Thurman, or Kenny Davis for that matter.  And no comparison on the O lines.  I would dare say that our overall coaching was better then then now.  

I was really excited about this years roster at the start of the season.  But watching against the Jets, we were dominated on both lines.  Very good teams are tough in the trenches.  Beane and McDermott have just not been able to build a solid O line.  Its a tough chore.  But Kansas City and Baltimore have it.  We do not.  Not sure what the problem is besides lack of talent.  And in the front 7 the only two playmakers we have are Milano and Von Miller, and Rousseau is hopefully on the way to becoming that.  The rest of the D lineman seem like JAGs.  No explosiveness.  Watching the Titans D on Sunday nite.  The energy they brought was impressive.  Settle, D Jones, Oliver, Basham, Epenesa Lawson.  Where is the juice.  And don't get me started about Edmonds.  He did nothing against the Jets, and is lost without Milano. 

Injuries have hurt our team.  And I think the coaching on the whole is mediocre.  McDermott is no savant.  He isn't a clown.  But he brings no energy and juice.  And sometimes a little emotion and energy is needed from the man in charge.  And as for Frazier.  He reminds me of a walking corpse.  Isn't Defense about emotion passion and knocking the crap out of someone?  

We have a great QB, a great WR and some good complimentary parts.  And when the offense is humming, we are tough to beat.  But we have two tough home games coming up.  Minnesota is 7-1 but does not dominate teams.  Cousins will get rattled on the road if you bring the heat and rough him up.  But the defense really needs to come with some nastiness.  Lets hope Milano and Poyer are able to play.  That will help things.  J Johnson looked lost last Sunday.  So did Bernard and Edmunds.  And how about some D Lineman not named Von making some plays and knocking the crap out of some Vikings?  Lets go Buffalo.  Remember the NFL is a week to week league.  Just because we are 6-2 doesn't mean anything, because the last 6 qtrs we have been sorry looking.  Time to rev it up.    

• Like (+1) 1

This team was also 6-2 in 2019 and 2020, so it's not like it's a milestone accomplishment.

And for all the work this team did early in the year winning against the other 3 teams currently leading their divisions in the AFC, it all goes out the window if this team is about to be mired in another season funk similar to last year when they essentially played .500 football the greater part of 2 months before deciding it was worth showing up again the last 4 games of the season.

And if that happens again where the Bills fall out of first place in the division, I'm fairly confident this time they may not regain that position again given how strong the other 3 teams are right now especially currently being winless in division play.

Here’s the deal. The current version of the Bills needs to prove they can win close games down the stretch if they’re going to get the entire fanbase on board. As things currently stand a great number of fans are just praying they’re up by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter so that the game’s out of reach. I wish that wasn’t the case…but sadly it is. 

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Great post! The gap between the two teams is very very wide. Not even close in my opinion. I love Allen but I'll take a Jim Kelly a 100s over before I take Allen. He was a winner, a leader, and a Buffalo Bill to the heart. Even still proves that to this day. When the game was on the line Kelly would be magical. Allen not so much. He was great in KC hitting Knox for the game winner. Great in the KC playoff game with his comeback. The Jets game? He is special no doubt. No knock on Allen. We were fortunate to have Kelly and now Allen. The comparasions though aren't really fair to either one. The variables in play are just too wide and broad. You pointed out some of them. 

With that said, I can't get out of my head the waiting for the Allen update. 

Edited by newcam2012

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

A huge part of the problem on here is people dissect every little thing that the Bills do wrong, but take the 10,000 ft view when looking at other teams.  KC struggled the entire game the other night but people will look at them and go "well they're 6-2, doesn't matter how they got there" and don't dissect their troubles.  Every team has weaknesses, but with this being a Bills discussion board we really only focus on what the Bills did bad/good

A lot of fans don't have the time to do this but I agree. If you check out other teams messages boards or even their main media there is more concern then what lets on. Some Ravens fans I interact with on twitter and are generally cool have been near ground zero at points this year especially after they blew a third double digit lead. Now they feel much better and things have rounded into form.

Biggest issue right now is Josh's status, losing him for two games could cost them the one see and make the division race razor thing. 

When the schedule came out, if someone told me we'd be 6-2, I'd have been grateful....and surprised.

It was either Tasker or Brownie that made a good point earlier that the 3 teams behind us all have 3 divisional games left. 3 of 4 of ours will be late season at home. If Mcd can take over this defense this week and we can get after Cousins and get a win , we'll be ok.

Gotta get some deer antler spray for Josh's arm. Worked wonders for me....Sincerely Ray Lewis.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Great post! The gap between the two teams is very very wide. Not even close in my opinion. I love Allen but I'll take a Jim Kelly a 100s over before I take Allen. He was a winner, a leader, and a Buffalo Bill to the heart. Even still proves that to this day. When the game was on the line Kelly would be magical. Allen not so much. He was great in KC hitting Knox for the game winner. Great in the KC playoff game with his comeback. The Jets game? He is special no doubt. No knock on Allen. We were fortunate to have Kelly and now Allen. The comparasions though aren't really fair to either one. The variables in play are just too wide and broad. You pointed out some of them. 

With that said, I can't get out of my head the waiting for the Allen update. 

Thanks, but I am not saying I think Kelly is better than Allen.  I am saying that the Kelly Bills are so far a better team than the Allen Bills, and that the Allen Bills are a year behind the Kelly Bills in getting to the SB.   That said, I think Allen is a better overall talent than Kelly and is going to be better than Kelly if he plays as long.   I believe that Kelly had a much better OL that stayed together a long time.  He also had HOF'ers like Thurman and Andre and Lofton, plus many other very good players.   The OLs and RBs on Allen's Bills are not even close to what Kelly had.  

• Agree 1

I'm not worried about being 6-2.  That's a strong record.  I do worry about home field advantage because I worry about the injuries.  Too many of our best players have been missing games and now Josh has an UCL injury.  

If we were 100% healthy going into the second half (more or less) of the season with a 6-2 start, I wouldn't be worried at all.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.